General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 4/1/2018 at 10:25, Benjamin said:

Anyone started season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events? Really surprised there's been very little noise about it, even among TV media.

Yep & thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. The whacky tone is completely welcome after a break. With the first series, I did eventually find the formula way too repetitive when watched quickly, so hoping they find a few ways to change it up as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of the new season yesterday and I have to say I still really love all the side plot with the adult characters, as much as the story is about the kids.

Also, 7 episodes into season 2, Santa Clarita Diet has quickly become one of my favourite shows. I love how ridiculous it is.

2 hours ago, GoGOceanea said:

Rachel Bloom said on Twitter that season four of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the last one. Which seems like the right decision and from what I vaguely recall reading a year or ago, was always more or less the plan.

This makes me happy. The first half of the latest series was clearly flagging, and though the second half massively improved, I definitely don't want it to outstay its welcome, because the first season is probably one of my favourite first seasons of the last few years.

4 hours ago, Japanicode said:

Watched the first episode of the new season yesterday and I have to say I still really love all the side plot with the adult characters, as much as the story is about the kids.

Also, 7 episodes into season 2, Santa Clarita Diet has quickly become one of my favourite shows. I love how ridiculous it is.

Definitely. Keep it fresh, allows reprieves and breaks. I think I've totally adapted to the tone now, embraced it more and enjoying the quirks of the adults - especially cos the kids keep us so grounded. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

Been a while since I felt like I binged a show, but have just finished A Series of Unfortunate Events, which I thought was really well done, especially when it finds a way to slightly change-up the formula. The tonal balance between absurdism and horror feels right, the production design is often incredible and it's easy entertainment. As the second half of the series shifts focus I found myself much more invested in the narrative and I think they're in a really strong spot for the final season. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Been a while since I felt like I binged a show, but have just finished A Series of Unfortunate Events, which I thought was really well done, especially when it finds a way to slightly change-up the formula. The tonal balance between absurdism and horror feels right, the production design is often incredible and it's easy entertainment. As the second half of the series shifts focus I found myself much more invested in the narrative and I think they're in a really strong spot for the final season. 

I've just finished the Ersatz Elevator episodes, Esme is fantastic, great casting.

All the love for Nathan Fillion as Jacques Snicket though. Put more Nathan Fillion in everything.

• Like 1

Catching up on Roseanne. General thoughts.

The intro made me so happy.

Roseanne and Dan's relationship is ever the same and it's wonderful.

I fucking hate this politics garbage. I know the show always delt with the life of the lower-middle class and politics has become an issue there but man it sucks. I think there's a way to do "political" issues without diving into jockying for a party or canidate. Stuff like Darlene's son being non-binary and Becky wanting to be a surrogate mother and DJ being a military man and having a kid that isn't white is plenty of material. I don't think the original run even got in to straight up politics once. This is why I can't watch "Last Man Standing" even though I love "Home Improvement".

I don't know why they didn't just name Sarah Chalke's character Becky too. I know it could be confusing but they are leaning on "It's almost like we're the same person!" joke and it's not exactly unrealistic. God knows half the girls I grew up with are named Brittany and Becky is the name of the era before that.

I love that Roseanne calls herself Granny! That's what I called my Grandma.

I feel like they're writing Jackie's character as a bit more crazy. I didn't like it at first but now I realize she's a bit like her mother now.

Becky's voice change is weird but what's weirder is it seems like she's able to put her old voice on when she wants too.

Dan gave Darlene's son a knife and she's thinking it's crazy. Huh. :shifty:

The house being exactly the same brings me comfort. I was living in this very house when I first saw the show.

I don't think the Darlene gay joke is landing. I know it's a meta joke with her actress is gay but the character of Darlene was never even hinted at being gay when there were three Canon gay characters. If you want to lay the "We've been thinking you were gay this whole time" joke on anyone it Should be Jackie since the retconned ending revealed she was gay in the "real" world.

This kid is supposed to be fabulous but that necklace is cheap and tacky.

Whoa an upstairs hall shot. They've must have built more sets when they remade the old ones. I only ever remember the living room, kitchen,driveway, garage, laundry room, the two bedrooms and the one bathroom.

Darlene's daughter Harris is really, really good casting. She looks like she'd be her daughter.

Dan has a flip phone!!!:lol:

Oh man, Roseanne got to actually touch the kid! I was wondering how this would play out because I figured physical discipline would be a no-no on the channel. This is a fitting punishment but not offensive like a spanking and was just funnier. 

A note: I don't think they ever showed Roseanne physically disciplining her kids in the old run. Maybe implied it.

"God, I'm sorry your Henchmen are stupid, Riddler!":D

I just thought of something. Where is David?  Darlene's daughter wants to live somewhere else so they kinda need to explain why she can't live with her Dad.

I don't care what the punishment would have been as a teen for being defiant, there's no way I'd give all my passwords to my mom. No one needed to see my Myspace inbox aside from me and Dream girl. Darlene's daughter is a pushover.

16 hours ago, =BK= said:

Catching up on Roseanne. General thoughts.

The intro made me so happy.

Roseanne and Dan's relationship is ever the same and it's wonderful.

I fucking hate this politics garbage. I know the show always delt with the life of the lower-middle class and politics has become an issue there but man it sucks. I think there's a way to do "political" issues without diving into jockying for a party or canidate. Stuff like Darlene's son being non-binary and Becky wanting to be a surrogate mother and DJ being a military man and having a kid that isn't white is plenty of material. I don't think the original run even got in to straight up politics once. This is why I can't watch "Last Man Standing" even though I love "Home Improvement".

I don't know why they didn't just name Sarah Chalke's character Becky too. I know it could be confusing but they are leaning on "It's almost like we're the same person!" joke and it's not exactly unrealistic. God knows half the girls I grew up with are named Brittany and Becky is the name of the era before that.

I love that Roseanne calls herself Granny! That's what I called my Grandma.

I feel like they're writing Jackie's character as a bit more crazy. I didn't like it at first but now I realize she's a bit like her mother now.

Becky's voice change is weird but what's weirder is it seems like she's able to put her old voice on when she wants too.

Dan gave Darlene's son a knife and she's thinking it's crazy. Huh. :shifty:

The house being exactly the same brings me comfort. I was living in this very house when I first saw the show.

I don't think the Darlene gay joke is landing. I know it's a meta joke with her actress is gay but the character of Darlene was never even hinted at being gay when there were three Canon gay characters. If you want to lay the "We've been thinking you were gay this whole time" joke on anyone it Should be Jackie since the retconned ending revealed she was gay in the "real" world.

This kid is supposed to be fabulous but that necklace is cheap and tacky.

Whoa an upstairs hall shot. They've must have built more sets when they remade the old ones. I only ever remember the living room, kitchen,driveway, garage, laundry room, the two bedrooms and the one bathroom.

Darlene's daughter Harris is really, really good casting. She looks like she'd be her daughter.

Dan has a flip phone!!!:lol:

Oh man, Roseanne got to actually touch the kid! I was wondering how this would play out because I figured physical discipline would be a no-no on the channel. This is a fitting punishment but not offensive like a spanking and was just funnier. 

A note: I don't think they ever showed Roseanne physically disciplining her kids in the old run. Maybe implied it.

"God, I'm sorry your Henchmen are stupid, Riddler!":D

I just thought of something. Where is David?  Darlene's daughter wants to live somewhere else so they kinda need to explain why she can't live with her Dad.

I don't care what the punishment would have been as a teen for being defiant, there's no way I'd give all my passwords to my mom. No one needed to see my Myspace inbox aside from me and Dream girl. Darlene's daughter is a pushover.

I was wrong.