General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Do I need to have seen the films? 

Not really, I've never seen the films and I was thoroughly entertained. I'd say watching the films will certainly add to your experience, and make you get some of the plot points better, but it's condensed and sharply written enough for anyone to pick up on.

It's apparently been an "open secret" for years now. There was a Blind Item posted about it on some gossip website back in like, 2011 I want to say?

Oh wow, I don't know if that'll be a case of something I loved as a kid not being as great as an adult, but I'm still excited.

I finished How I Met Your Mother finally. I just remembered today that I hadn't actually finished it yet and had been halfway through the final season for about 3 and a half years now, lol. spoilers I guess. 

Spoiler

The ending kinda sucked. Sorta ridiculous that they never, throughout the 8 and a half years that the show was on for, thought 'huh maybe that ending is a real disappointment and we should change it'. I mean, Tracy didn't need to be killed off. They could've kept her alive and it would've been fine, better even. I remember there was an alternative cut where it finishes after it shows them first meeting, and that would've been nice.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I hated the way Tracey got shafted, but far more I hated the way they completely went against almost half the entire show's character development by having Robin and Barney split up "just cause life" and had Robin and Ted end up together.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 21:03, Horus said:

As a huge, huge, huge fan of the first two Karate Kid movies finding out that there is a upcoming series that reunites some of the original cast has been a very pleasant surprise.

Just watched all ten episodes of Cobra Kai last night, its fantastic. They did an amazing job balancing everything, it was funny, it was touching, it was dramatic at the right moments,  it was nostalgic, fans of the originals will love it, but newer viewers will be able to enjoy it all the same. There were some great callbacks to the original, they fleshed out the original characters and new characters very well, and a lot of characters are a bit more shades of grey than the originals, but they don't overdo it and make the good guys too evil or the bad guys too nice etc. See, that is how you update a story to modern times without ruining what it was. Very happy with it and ready to watch it all again, really hoping there's another season.

Anybody watch the first episode of new Taskmaster? I keep wondering how they can keep it up but I thought it was a fantastic episode.

The American version has had two episodes but I think it will need some time to find its own groove. Reggie Watts is trying a bit hard to be Greg and I don't think it works. Also, Lisi Lampanelli might be the most annoying human being alive. 

oh, Lisa Lampanelli is still a thing? In general I'm quite happy to avoid comedians whose brand is heavily entwined with Comedy Central roasts and shit like that.

14 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

oh, Lisa Lampanelli is still a thing? In general I'm quite happy to avoid comedians whose brand is heavily entwined with Comedy Central roasts and shit like that.

She says "suck my dick" about twelve times in the premier. It was 30 minutes. 

On a brighter note, Freddie Highmore and Ron Funches are adorable, and Ron wears a Funch-a-Mania shirt because he's a big wrestling nerd. 

I hope it also has interminably long montages set to '70s song covers, just with the lyrics in Spanish instead.

• Like 7