General Television Thread

Hellfire

I remember waiting for the '99 Kids' Choice Awards to be over to watch SBSP and being instantly hooked. He created a show that surpassed the success of Rocko's Modern Life (SpongeBob replaced Rocko when it was cancelled).

17 hours ago, KingofHarts_OH said:

I remember waiting for the '99 Kids' Choice Awards to be over to watch SBSP and being instantly hooked. He created a show that surpassed the success of Rocko's Modern Life (SpongeBob replaced Rocko when it was cancelled).

I know over here we got Spongebob a few years later, but even then I was totally enamoured by the humour and some of the skits hold up even now that i'm a cynical jaded 28 year old. The quality dropped off after the first film (but really, what series didn't fall off when you have so many seasons?)

I really think Spongebob truly is the first ever culturally transcendant cartoon, one that was so popular that for a while you couldn't go anywhere without seeing something of Spongebob anywhere on the shelves. Before you had the Minions, it was Spongebob that was the yellow goofy behemoth. 

ALS is a terrible affliction, and 57 is no age to pass away. 

Ugh. Yeah. Parks and Rec will continue to be something I watch though. The Louis CK and Aziz Ansari bits are tainted, but I’ll keep at it as it’s led by Amy Poehler and shapes by Michael Schur. Plus everyone else.

Louie and Master of None, on the other hand....

The past few times I've gone through Parks and Rec I've completely skipped over the Louie CK episodes, which is easy for me because Ben is one of my favorite characters on the show and he and Chris don't show up until Louie's character has already moved to...California?

14 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

Ugh. Yeah. Parks and Rec will continue to be something I watch though. The Louis CK and Aziz Ansari bits are tainted, but I’ll keep at it as it’s led by Amy Poehler and shapes by Michael Schur. Plus everyone else.

Louie and Master of None, on the other hand....

Yeah, Master of None was a great show for me, but there's no way I can watch if there's a new season or even to rewatch the past two ones.

1 hour ago, C-MIL said:

What is it about? Is there a show comparable to it?

The best comparisons are probably Lost and Westworld. I've never watched Lost, but Castle Rock sounds similar to it with unraveling a mystery, plus J.J. Abrams has been involved with all three shows. I'd say it's less... complicated to understand than Westworld is, though.

Castle Rock uses some of Stephen King's mythology for an original story, and it's apparently going to be an anthology series, so different stories each season. After seeing your trepidation with Hill House, I think you'll like it as it's technically listed as horror, but veers more toward sci-fi/thriller.

Edited by Tyrone
  • Like 2

Finished season two of The Deuce. Really good.

Spoiler

on one hand, thank fucking christ C.C. got what he deserved but on the other hand he was such a good villain that it's weird to imagine the show without him.

• Like 1

F Is For Family season 3 gets dark. Especially after (season spoilers ahoy):

Spoiler

You find out Nguyen-Nguyen was "slowly" changing Chet by poisoning him. And then Frank's visit to him in the hospital just paints this bleak portrait of a broken man; in many ways, he's what Frank Murphy could have been given his own upbringing.

On 01/12/2018 at 06:37, GoGo Yubari said:

Finished season two of The Deuce. Really good.

Hide contents

on one hand, thank fucking christ C.C. got what he deserved but on the other hand he was such a good villain that it's weird to imagine the show without him.

I felt like CC's story had run its course and it was effective how he gradually became more peripheral as the season progressed. There's still plenty of conflict, I'm not even convinced the show needs a 'villain' in the way that CC represented going into the third season, there's plenty of inner conflict going on, plus the occasional brutal presence of the job carries an underlying threat.

Yeah, great stuff. Am I right in thinking there's gonna be a third and final season? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Hide contents

I felt like CC's story had run its course and it was effective how he gradually became more peripheral as the season progressed. There's still plenty of conflict, I'm not even convinced the show needs a 'villain' in the way that CC represented going into the third season, there's plenty of inner conflict going on, plus the occasional brutal presence of the job carries an underlying threat.

Yeah, great stuff. Am I right in thinking there's gonna be a third and final season? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2018/09/the-deuce-season-3-renewed-james-franco-final-season-1202005587/amp/

Yep. Third and final season.