UFC News and Discussion Thread

I hope Lesnar comes into this fight and does well. His battle with disease almost cost him his career. Now, he is ready and, according to him and his trainers, in better shape then he has ever been. I doubt he will be able to dominate the fight like he did against Mir or Herring, but I don't think Lesnar will give Carwin too many opportunities to swing away.

I'm so 50/50 on this fight... on one hand you have Shane Carwin's power and punching, the likes of which Lesnar hasn't fought yet. On the other you have a wrestler in Brock Lesnar the likes of which Carwin has never faced in the octagon, and being a Div II wrestler and not a Div I all American like Brock probably never faced at collegiate level either. I am leaning towards Lesnar with my reasoning that I see it like I saw Rahsad and Rampage where the better wrestler controls the fight's position and is not going to be knocked out on the floor from the dominant position. But I just can not see this fight going 5 rounds.

I'm gonna take Lesnar. People like to talk about Carwin's punching power being something Lesnar hasn't seen yet, but Carwin hasn't faced anyone half the athlete Lesnar is, or with the wrestling background. The wrestling will not cancel out here, Carwin isn't close to Lesnar's caliber in that area.

Lytle/Brown will be a fun little war, too.

UFC has a deal with Buffolo Wild Wings here in the states where the exist so if you can get a table or spots at the bar, you can watch the show for free.

I'll also be going for Lesnar and I think he'll win it if it goes past the first round, but I have a feeling that Carwin is going to take this one by TKO Round One.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm gonna take Lesnar. People like to talk about Carwin's punching power being something Lesnar hasn't seen yet, but Carwin hasn't faced anyone half the athlete Lesnar is, or with the wrestling background. The wrestling will not cancel out here, Carwin isn't close to Lesnar's caliber in that area.

Lytle/Brown will be a fun little war, too.

People who know more than I do have said that an NCAA Div 1 champ and an NCAA Div II champ would likely cancel each other out, but that MMA wrestling is so different from NCAA wrestling that that doesn't mean anything anyhow. Really the wildcard here is that we don't know how either of these guys will do when they find themselves losing a fight. I expect one of them to fold, I just don't know which one it'll be for sure.

Second UFC PPV that I'm watching live and first that I'm paying for (110 was on Aussie FTA)

and to be fair I bought it for Carwin/Lesnar - The Unstoppable Force vs the Immovable Object.

However:

Sotiropoulos :w00t:

Leben :D

and

Soszynski/Bonnar :)

Going be a good card, I think Carwin has the edge over Lesnar but we'll see.

I think Lesnar will win, he knows how to train cardio. Carwin OTOH we're not sure how he'll last after the first round. Carwin's going to have to knock Lesnar out fast and I'm thinking he won't he able to.

Everybody keeps talking how Carwin won't last after round 1 but.. he's never made it out of round 1, for all we know this guy is a cardio beast.

I think the fight ends inside of 3 minutes. I want Brock to win, but after a lengthy lay off I think he either has to one shot KO Carwin or catch him with a hard shot early on and then finish him immediately with some ground and pound for that to happen. Odds are if Carwin survives the initial onslaught, he'll make Brock gas and finishes this by TKO on the ground somewhere near the cage.

Right. Even if Carwin isn't going to have to worry about gassing himself, the longer the fight the bigger chance Lesnar will win.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Right. Even if Carwin isn't going to have to worry about gassing himself, the longer the fight the bigger chance Lesnar will win.

Why?

Yeah, I don't know why you guys say that the longer this goes the longer it favours Lesnar. Lesnar is coming off a long layoff during which he very nearly died. That doesn't bode well for his cardio in his first fight back.