UFC News and Discussion Thread

3 great contenders but Lesnar got submission of the night.

Gerald Harris got the obvious KO of the night, and both the Bonnar and *insert odd polish name* and Leben - Akiyama got fight of the night bonuses

Seriously UFC? You gave it to Lesnar?

Am I the only one that thinks either Lytle or Leban should have got it?

Good to see two fights get FOTN honors, Both were awesome fights.

Dana said something along the lines of Brock getting it because 'nobody expected him to ever win by submission' and how it was a massive surprise.

While the UFC on Saturday night awarded $75,000 "Fight Night" bonuses to six different fighters, UFC president Dana White said there's more money on the way.

This could be especially good news for fighters such as welterweight Chris Lytle, who fell short on the evening's "Submission of the Night" money when heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar shocked the world with an arm-triangle choke victory.

Some MMA fans felt Lesnar's massive payday was reward enough, but White believes guaranteed money can't play a role in who gets the night's bonuses.

Besides, after what the UFC boss called the "greatest night of fights" he's ever seen, more money is on the way.

"Whoever deserves the check deserves the check," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If anybody disagrees that Brock Lesnar was the 'Submission of the Night,' please speak now; you're out of your mind.

"Nobody expected him to win by submission."

Of course, no one really expected Lytle to win by straight armbar while simultaneously holding an inverted triangle choke position from the mount, either.

Chris Leben's third-round submission win over Yoshihiro Akiyama and Stephan Bonnar's frenzied TKO of Krzysztof Soszynski were each rightfully awarded the evening's dual "Fight of the Night" bonuses.

Then again, it seems a shame that Ricardo Romero and Seth Petrzuelli would walk away empty-handed after their back-and-forth two-round battle.

White said not to worry. Those who put it all on the line would not be walking home unhappy.

"What I expect of these guys is I expect these guys to go out and perform," White said. "Let me tell you this, and I mean it, we're writing some [expletive] checks tonight. We're writing checks – more than what you heard here tonight. Guys are going to get well taken care of tonight.

"Tonight was the greatest night of fights I've ever seen. There's going to be some happy [expletives] skipping out of the MGM tonight, I'll tell you that right now."

Nobody get their knickers in a twist (Slogger :P) the others will get relevant bonuses, these are just the offical ones :).

Lytle getting a bonus paycheck is cool, but saying Lesnar's arm triange was more awesome than Lytle pulling off a submission that almost looked like it came out of Mike Quackenbush's playbook is insane.

I can see where he's coming from, though. Personally I thought Lytle should have gotten Sub of the Night, but Lesnar's choke was out of nowhere, had me out of my seat, it was exciting. Maybe it's Dana rewarding guys who aren't just one dimensional and go through the same routine every fight, y'know, maybe he's trying to encourage guys to entertain a bit more.

That whole show was awesome, and I was another one jumping out of my seat when Lesnar came back to win. As for the Sub of the Night talk, Lytle's was better, but fuck, I agree with Dragsy. It's the nature of it, rather than the actual submission, that appears to have been rewarded.

Went 3/2 on the card, with Bonnar and Leben costing me. Leben was the biggest danger in my eyes, so wasn't surpsied, and was happier with Bonnar winning then Krystof, so can't complain too much. Chris Lytle was my banker, so was glad to see him win.

EDIT: Looking at another forum reminded me of this, but Akiyama coming out to Andrea Bocellia was awesome.

Edited by Liam

Yeah, I always love his entrance. Not nearly as awesome without the kind of stages you get in Japan but what are you gonna do.

Lesnar/Velasquez rumoured for 119 in Indiana.

Seems a bit soon, especially considering the amount of punishment Lesnar took.

Lesnar/Velasquez rumoured for 119 in Indiana.

Seems a bit soon, especially considering the amount of punishment Lesnar took.

It's because Lesnar said that there wasn't any serious injuries, so he just needs time to rest for the next fight.

Can't wait for Velasquez to put out Lesnar once and for all, BROWN PRIDE!

I have to say, Carwin not being able to put Lesnar away? Doesn't fill me with confidence that Cain can.. I don't think Cain is as good with the stand up as Carwin, and I certainly don't think he can out wrestle Brock because of his pure size... For me that is another fight in Lesnar's win column :/

After 116, I'm pretty sure the only way to KO Brock is to hit him in the face with a crowbar and then it's only 50/50.

In fact, the greatest MMA fight ever would probably be Brock/Leben going at it Frye/Takayama style for 25 minutes since both appear to be cyborgs.

I have to say, Carwin not being able to put Lesnar away? Doesn't fill me with confidence that Cain can.. I don't think Cain is as good with the stand up as Carwin, and I certainly don't think he can out wrestle Brock because of his pure size... For me that is another fight in Lesnar's win column :/

Cain Velasquez wrestled at heavyweight against one of the toughest crops of heavyweight talent in NCAA history. He has a win over Cole Konrad who is about the same size and a better wrestler than Brock was. Cain might not have the power that Carwin does, but I wouldn't call Carwin a better striker. For me, Cain presents a much better challenge for Brock than Carwin ever did, and we saw how close that fight was.

I think Cain is more technical with his strikes but Carwin had sheer power and I don't think Cain is going to be able to use his technique as easy as Carwin used his power in the first round. I'm not trying to count Cain out but I don't think he has what it takes to beat Lesnar. Then again I don't think anyone currently has what it takes.

Cain i can't see knocking out Brock but i could see him maybe pulling off a decision. Interesting fight really and one im looking forward to. Also with the winner of Dos Santos/Roy Nelson next in line for a title shot i really wanna see Brock VS Nelson :D :D

I would hope Brock punches a hole in Roy Nelson's fucking skull.

Trust that he would. Then again Nelson would probably use the already existing hole in his skull to eat Lesnar.

• Like 1