UFC News and Discussion Thread

Does anybody REALLY want to see Royce Gracie fight ANYONE at this point? Honestly? And I have to say I'm looking forward to Griffin/Shogun 2.

Yes, Brazilians

I'd like to see Royce fight someone who is widely considered to be fairly shit i.e. a TUF guy who didn't win in their first match back, just to show how far the sport has come when they beat Royce. Of course it wouldn't be the story the would want to tell in Brazil and Royce wouldn't take the fight.

I have no idea how it would work. You could go Maia or Sotiropoulos but chances are they will beat the crap out of Royce.

I'd personally be interested in Royce vs. Lesnar. Hopefully it would put an end to Royce's career/relevance. I get he is a legend in the sport, but this is an entirely new era. Even in his prime Royce wouldn't be top 10 at 170 in the modern era.

I'd like to see Royce fight someone who is widely considered to be fairly shit i.e. a TUF guy who didn't win in their first match back, just to show how far the sport has come when they beat Royce. Of course it wouldn't be the story the would want to tell in Brazil and Royce wouldn't take the fight.

I have no idea how it would work. You could go Maia or Sotiropoulos but chances are they will beat the crap out of Royce.

I'd personally be interested in Royce vs. Lesnar. Hopefully it would put an end to Royce's career/relevance. I get he is a legend in the sport, but this is an entirely new era. Even in his prime Royce wouldn't be top 10 at 170 in the modern era.

That's assuming Royce stuck with the same training and skillset.

That's assuming Royce stuck with the same training and skillset.

He did. Have you seen any of his fights since? The older Gracie's all showed a huge amount of hubris in believing that their style of jits could defeat anything and they didn't need to worry about investing much time into anything else.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a UFC and Strikeforce contract in the current market? Cross promotion is being hyped, at least by Coker. Does it eliminate any chance of him appearing in Dream? Not that that matters since Dream looks pretty much done.

According to Dana, business is as usual, and they will only talk with somebody if they're strikeforce contract is expiring/expired and vice versa.

Jason Miller's SF contract was expired, hence the signing with UFC.

So basically Dana is pretending there will be 'competition' between SF and UFC? Just like the competition that existed between UFC and WEC oh wait that's right WEC had to abandon nearly all of the clashing weight classes after Dana decided he wanted the fighters on the main show.

I wonder if it's leading to a SF vs. UFC TUF? That could be epic. I can't see Dana giving away PPV calibre fights for free though. I wonder if they could do a weekly show but have the fights monthly on PPV? Probably not.

The cynic inside me thinks Zuffa are waiting for the contracts to expire on the fighters they don't want to deal with (Daley, for example), before the absorb Strikeforce. Maybe leading to a unification PPV?

However, what I'd like to believe is Strikeforce might stay open for a while and act as UFC's feeder company. A place were they can test out new guys and put fighters that they want to keep around but can't cut it in the UFC.

The cynic inside me thinks Zuffa are waiting for the contracts to expire on the fighters they don't want to deal with (Daley, for example), before the absorb Strikeforce. Maybe leading to a unification PPV?

First of all they are bound to wait for the contracts to expire for certain fighters they think they can make more money out of in the UFC, but they also have certain fighters who contracts are with Showtime and Strikeforce so they can't just move it across. Second of all if they wanted to get rid of anybody they had beef with off of the Strikeforce roster, the UFC/Zuffa have sufficient funds to just pay them off. Third of all they wouldn't have a single unification PPV as they would have to have 5 title matches, which is not going to happen, and then they would not be able to have a title match on PPV for another 4 months, should they absorb the promotion in the future (I hear rumour that the Strikeforce/Showtime deal, which may be the prevailing factor in keeping the companies separate, could be running until 2014), they will set up a series of unification bouts on PPV, should they even want them whenever the opportunity arises, not all in one fell swoop. Use your brain before throwing out wholly unreasonable ideas please!

The other part you had about a feeder company is a nice idea, I like it, it means more fights that aren't on PPV, the UFC run the risk of saturating the PPV market so they need to keep trying to develop avenues for delivering fights on tv if they want to keep hundreds of fighters under contract and active, hence the use of the Showtime deal with Strikeforce is a great way of ensuring this.