UFC News and Discussion Thread

Jon Olav will now be taking on Dave "Pee Wee" Herman at 131.. I like this fight as I'fve seen both fight in Japan and this will be a real good test for the both of them, gonna take Olav by Armbar for this one.

The Janitor vs Gustafsson at 133

In other Combat Sport related news, It's Showtime has struck a deal with HDNet to broadcast their cards live in the US and Canada, which is probably news of the day for me.

Edited by Beefus of Canada

Guest mr. potato head

Don't know where this goes exactly, but I'm looking to try and get into UFC and have no idea where to start. Anybody wanna help me out?

I'd say start with either the last show or the next show. It's not wrestling so you don't need a "jumping off point" per se, the announcers are good at catching you up on who everybody is and what they've done in the past. If you watch a few shows and decide you really like it, that's when we'd get to talking about specific shows or matches from the past worth going out of your way to see.

Somebody tell me what diverticulitis is.

Diverticulitis is a common digestive disease particularly found in the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed.

Don't know where this goes exactly, but I'm looking to try and get into UFC and have no idea where to start. Anybody wanna help me out?

The last show, minus the boring main event, was one of the best shows they've ever put on. And the main event will at least serve as an introduction to Georges St. Pierre who is a Ricky Steamboat type of babyface, if you want to use wrestling logic. You just can't root against the guy. Be familiar with him and Anderson Silva, since there's a strong chance we're getting the two of them in one of the sport's biggest dream fights ever.

I suggest subscribing to UFC's YouTube channel and watching any videos they post, they are very useful for catching up on background information. Ariel Helwani's channel is also good for learning a bit more about individual fighters.

Be familiar with him and Anderson Silva, since there's a strong chance we're getting the two of them in one of the sport's biggest dream fights ever.

Is it though?

I keep thinking it might happen, but GSP is much much smaller than Anderson and I can't really see a reason for them fighting other than they have "cleared out their divisions" which for me is not a good enough reason seeing as it could ruin the champion of one of the divisions.

For me GSP is perfect at 170 and I wouldn't allow him to move, I feel that despite the obvious money in the Silva/GSP superfight, I feel the UFC could make more money and have longer term value by keep the pair of them separate than putting a black mark on either fighters records that could seriously dent their drawing power just for the sake of one big money fight, that could very much be Anderson Silva using his size, reach and superior striking (yes, his striking is superior to GSPs) to destroy GSP and then we have an ageing champion in Silva and GSP loses some, if not a lot of his lustre.

Having said all that I would like to see Jon Jones against Silva :shifty:

I got into it by watching TUF. But it was season 1 so the fighters made an impact after the show. The first few TUFs were basically all of the big names fighting in smaller promotions/lesser names from Pride. Whereas now even the guys winning TUF generally aren't that good so it makes it hard to become invested in their future success.

But as far as PPVs there isn't anything worth chasing in particular. There have been stacked cards and great fights but you don't need to have seen them to appreciate future PPVs. It's more once you are a fan you may want to seek out some K1/Muay Thai stuff to see elite strikers, or BJJ tournaments to see how the ground game is used by experts so you have a better grasp of the ground game (it can look like they are just lying there if you don't understand the intricacies of isolating a limb or the need to have your leg in a certain position or have a certain type of grip and you need to wait to get them). I also like watching Pride for the tournaments and the freak show fights.

But MMA has had a slow progression. Whilst fighters have come along and introduced techniques that have been picked up by other fighters due to their effectiveness there hasn't been a fight that makes you sit up and realise that everything you knew about MMA has just been made moot.

If there is a certain style of fighting you wish to see then it's easier to suggest stuff. There have been epic mat and stand up wars, but nothing that is mandatory viewing to understand or find pleasure in MMA.

GSP didn't lose much luster when he lost to Matt Serra, how will losing to the best fighter in the world hurt him? Whoever loses will probably still be considered the second best fighter in the world. There will be exactly as much money in fights like GSP vs. whatever guy they feed to GSP after he loses to Silva as there is now. But there will be a lot less money in GSP-Silva if either of them lose first.

It'd probably hurt more if GSP beat Silva, since the Welterweight division doesn't have another top card guy really and Silva would either have to move up to LHW and do well or be just another guy, but that's a risk worth taking.

Guest mr. potato head

If there is a certain style of fighting you wish to see then it's easier to suggest stuff. There have been epic mat and stand up wars, but nothing that is mandatory viewing to understand or find pleasure in MMA.

Somehow I don't see Nerf as the type to appreciate Couture/Vera :shifty:

Somehow I don't see Nerf as the type to appreciate Couture/Vera :shifty:

Well obviously because his names not ACCBiggz. Whatever happened to Biggz anyway?