UFC News and Discussion Thread

Yeah I think we'll get Henderson-Pettis 2 next.

I agree with the announcers and, well, everyone in that Edgar would be dominant if he dropped down. I know part of what helped him Lightweight was that he didn't need to cut any weight and thus had stamina to go for hours and hours but when guys like Benson Henderson are in your division and have such a size advantage it's hard to see a way Edgar can get back to the title. It's the same division that left Penn in the dust a few years ago. It's gonna settle at some point but right now there's chaos from Lightweight on down with guys switching weight classes with regularity, finding their footing, and UFC showing more dedication to building the divisions up by bringing in the best talent they can find. If only the mainstream fans can find it in their hearts to latch on to "midget fighting" and we'd be set.

But I have to complain about Edgar's corner guys after the fight celebrating like he won and then acting like the decision was a miscarriage of justice. Then Edgar's interview where he's like "Oh yeah, I think I won that fight" when he had a broken nose and black eye. Really doesn't do you any favors in the popularity department.

Yeah, but the broken nose and black eye can happen in one round, and he could go on to win the other 4, the way a guy looks after the fight doesn't always tell the story of the fight.

Well this throws the Lightweight division into a bit of chaos, doesn't it?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Who's #1 contender? Is it Pettis straight away, or does Edgar get a rematch? If Edgar doesn't get a rematch, who's he face instead? If Nate Diaz beats Jim Miller, is he #1 contender? What about Gray Maynard? Record wise, he and Edgar are still equal against each other at 1-1-1, do you give them a fourth match?

That's what I'm talking about.

It's not a clear picture, had Edgar won, it would be a bit easier. I'd say Edgar losing puts Maynard one win away from contention again. Pettis and Diaz are right there with him, and it's not like Frankie Edgar isn't deserving of a rematch either.

Yeah, but the broken nose and black eye can happen in one round, and he could go on to win the other 4, the way a guy looks after the fight doesn't always tell the story of the fight.

Yes it can, but in this fight it didn't and Edgar knew that when he was talking. His complaining was like saying his team had more total yards so they should have won despite the other team having more touchdowns.

Dana during the presser said Pettis will probably get the next shot.

Even if it is Pettis straight way, it's going to be really interesting to figure out how they decide who's next. Miller/Diaz was supposed to be a title eliminator, but if Edgar stick around at 155, he probably has a more legit claim to a shot than either of those two. If Maynard beats anyone in the top 10, he's got a legit claim to a shot as well. Hell, Clay Guida even has to be considered. It is by no means a clear picture, and it'd only become one if Edgar dropped to 145 and they did Maynard/Guida. Maynard/Guida is probably on the horizon though.

I have ESPN for the American sports mostly (not including NHL anymore for some stupid reason)

It's because ESPN was offering the NHL a really bullshit deal: Hey NHL, you pay us, and we will air your shit. Given that ESPN pays every other league for the rights to air their shit, the NHL saw this as kind of insulting, but no one else was offering a better deal (outside of Canada). Until VERSUS anyway.

Guest mr. potato head

Why would Edgar have a claim at a rematch? He lost the fight relatively fairly. This isn't pro wrestling and champs don't all get rematch clauses. As long as there's a deserving new challenger (and at 155 there are several), they should be getting the fight while the former champ strings together a winning streak. Keeps matchups fresh and builds new stars at the same time.

(And Sean: Nice try, but ESPN UK was airing the NHL until I think this season. Not related at all to the shittiness of ESPN USA. :P)

Yeah but that's probably because Setanta had a deal with NHL, that ESPN had to honor. As Setanta still show NHL in Ireland. As soon as the contract expired, the new deal ESPN offered is probably what Sean is on about.

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah but that's probably because Setanta had a deal with NHL, that ESPN had to honor. As Setanta still show NHL in Ireland. As soon as the contract expired, the new deal ESPN offered is probably what Sean is on about.

Nah, Sean's talking about the deal the American ESPN offered the NHL in 2004. Trust me, I'm a nerd for this stuff. :P

Why would Edgar have a claim at a rematch? He lost the fight relatively fairly. This isn't pro wrestling and champs don't all get rematch clauses. As long as there's a deserving new challenger (and at 155 there are several), they should be getting the fight while the former champ strings together a winning streak. Keeps matchups fresh and builds new stars at the same time.

(And Sean: Nice try, but ESPN UK was airing the NHL until I think this season. Not related at all to the shittiness of ESPN USA. :P)

Every champion in recent history, especially if they were on a winning streak prior to the loss, has been one win away from a rematch, if they didn't just get a rematch straight away. So yeah, Frankie Edgar is at worst, one win away from another shot. Add to that the fact that he's one of, if not the biggest name in the division and routinely puts on exciting fights. Edgar/Henderson 2 does more buys than Henderson/Pettis, easily.

He could also go the Nick Diaz route and complain that he hit more strikes and that travelling to Japan messed up his training program. :shifty:

So why can't we have Bendo/Pettis 2 in August, and then the winner of Miller/Diaz fighting the champion in November/December time? The time frame with the FOX show would allow for this and then set up the line of challengers below that, sorting out who of Maynard/Edgar/Guida/whomever is next in line after that.