UFC News and Discussion Thread

He did kinda beat him :\

I think Bisping has had a raw deal at times with some decisions. In that Silva fight, I had him winning it, but it seemed that the 10 second flurries at the end of two rounds basically won Silva a fight in which he was getting beaten for the other 14:40, pretty much.

He did kinda beat him :\

Yes and Keith Jardine has beaten both Brandon Vera (who has a win over Frank Mir) and Chuck Liddell (who beat Wanderlei and Wandy beat Jardine).

I really don't buy that being beaten by someone necessarily makes them better than you forever (or at all). Only time it holds true for me is if someone young beats an ageing veteran. Since it's unlikely the veteran will be able to improve their game at the same speed that the upstart will continue to develop. Wanderlei is on the downwards swing of his career. If you put him and Bisping in a cage Bisping is the favourite.

As for Belfort vs Bisping, I think it would sort out all of these arguments. Bisping's main strength is meant to be his striking. Belfort when he turns up to fight is close to the best in the division. If Bisping wins it makes him legitimate and erases the doubts around him being given a free ride or being protected. If Belfort beats him and knocks him out it puts Belfort back in the hunt for the title by beating a big name. I know he just beat Rumble, but that fight's always going to be tainted by the disastrous weight cut.

Bisping wont fight Weidman,it contravenes the winner of a fight fights the winner of a nother fight and the loser fights a loser they tend to go with. Looking around Bisping is likely to fight one of Maia/Massenzio at the minute

Bisping is talented, but he has always been matched up very favourably against mid tier opponents. He has good technical striking, good TD defense and is pretty decent off of his back. Leben/Akiyama were perfect match ups - brawlers who Bisping could stay on the outside with and pick apart. Dan Miller is a tough fighter who is just that - good BJJ but Bisping's takedown defence was always going to force the fight standing. Mayhem turned up looking and fighting like shit, and Bisping looked a bit under par IMO in that fight as well. His losses have always come against fighters he hasn't been matched up well with - Hamill (worst decision ever), Evans and Chael were all able to grapplefuck him, and Hendo had that fight wherever it went - I called a 1st/2nd round KO or a 3 round GnP fest as soon as that fight was announced. Whilst the Silva fight was close, it showed Bisping's complete lack of power - any technically skilled stand up fighter with aggresison will just be able to take the fight to Bisping.

I do think Bisping is a good (not great) fighter who probably floats around top 7-10 of a relatively weak division. I fully expect him to be given Maia next who he will beat on the feet in a decision, face someone like Aaron Simpson who will not be able to pin him down for a great length of time and will win another decision, then lose to someone like Belfort by KO or Munoz by grapplefuck.

Bisping is talented, but he has always been matched up very favourably against mid tier opponents. He has good technical striking, good TD defense and is pretty decent off of his back. Leben/Akiyama were perfect match ups - brawlers who Bisping could stay on the outside with and pick apart. Dan Miller is a tough fighter who is just that - good BJJ but Bisping's takedown defence was always going to force the fight standing. Mayhem turned up looking and fighting like shit, and Bisping looked a bit under par IMO in that fight as well. His losses have always come against fighters he hasn't been matched up well with - Hamill (worst decision ever), Evans and Chael were all able to grapplefuck him, and Hendo had that fight wherever it went - I called a 1st/2nd round KO or a 3 round GnP fest as soon as that fight was announced. Whilst the Silva fight was close, it showed Bisping's complete lack of power - any technically skilled stand up fighter with aggresison will just be able to take the fight to Bisping.

I do think Bisping is a good (not great) fighter who probably floats around top 7-10 of a relatively weak division. I fully expect him to be given Maia next who he will beat on the feet in a decision, face someone like Aaron Simpson who will not be able to pin him down for a great length of time and will win another decision, then lose to someone like Belfort by KO or Munoz by grapplefuck.

Grapplefuck is a horrible term.

Yeah he has been outwrestled which is hardly surprising, but he didn't get beat on the feet by Wanderlei, Wanderlei won with his late flurries as has already been pointed out.

The decision against Hamill was marginal I agree, but hardly "Worst decision ever" material.

I know I come across as a Bisping fanatic, and I do like the guy, but he was soundly beaten by only Henderson in all his UFC fights, his losses to Wanderlei, Rashad and to Chael were all marginal, its hard to pin point where Bisping is, but he has not been soundly beaten. I will admit he is not going to beat Anderson, but Bisping presents an interesting fight for Anderson, more so that 99% of the guys at 185, the 1% being this dude called Chael.

I can see why Vitor could be put above Bisping, however his being soundly beaten by Anderson leaves the question mark over him, and his mental strength in the past has been suspect. But not Jacare, he is not top 5, Jacare lost soundly to Rockhold, and otherwise his "marquee wins" are against Lawler, Kennedy and Joey Villasenor, hardly elite level fighters these days.

And Stann is a name based on his military past, he was embarrassed by Sonnen, and looked out of his depth against that level of talent, I believe that Bisping would be too much for him as well.

• Like 1

I think seeing a Sonnen/Bisping fight after a normal amount of preperation time would've been interesting. Sonnens performance also makes me wonder how well he would've done against Munoz.

In regards to Bisping though, he has faced some of the best grapplers in the business now and he's shown he's very capable of defending take-downs, scrambling and generally nulifying their strengths. He certainly didn't get 'grapplefucked' in any of those fights and only lost because UFC judges are biased towards wrestling. He didn't deserve to lose the fight, but then he didn't really do much to win it other than counter Sonnen. I was really disappointed with his stand up to, when Sonnen gassed in the second I was hoping for Bisping to pick him apart and stamp his authority on the fight, but instead he probably burnt himself out more on the fence and subsequently got controlled in the third.

I can't think of many fighters above Bisping in terms of talent though. And I'm not sure if I agree with some of the statements about how he has been booked, I mean the Leben fight was dangerous, especially when people are saying that against anyone with power he'll get beat, well Bisping knocked plenty of people out and would've if he caught Bisping, he didn't. The Evans and Hamill fights were both very early in his UFC career, so fighting top class grapplers like that not long after coming over to America, I think he deserves more credit than he got for hanging with them with zero wrestling background. Miller is a bit of a gatekeeper and only seems to lose the top tier guys, almost knocked out Palhares as well, but yeah I agree with the consensus here, not a great fighter. I can't see a fight against a middleweight where Bisping loses out right though, bar Anderson Silva. I honestly think he could beat Munoz, Belfort and Stann, he's a better boxer than all of them, he made a huge mistake in the Henderson fight, he didn't respect his power and constantly circled towards that right hand, I don't see him making a mistake like that again.

Anyway, really looking forward to tonights event. Some of the fights could be fantastic, one is obviously the main event which could be an absolute war, or Condit gets abused by the jab for five rounds. Renan Barao vs Scott Jorghenson could be awesome too.

And for the Pat Barry fans out there he's got an exciting fight coming up against Lavar Johnson, was announced a couple of days ago. Johnson has a massive reach advantage (who doesn't against Barry) and is probably the most danreous striker he has faced since Kongo so could be another one of those fights. It's probably the fisrt fight I can think of where Barry is facing someone with a ground game as good as his own.

ESPN is free for this weekend. Means I can watch the fights tonight on me big tv in my room now :D

Wow thanks for mentioning, I didn't even notice. 3AM is the PPV though, bit late <_< I suppose I can record it.

Entertain yourself before hand by catching the prelims. Think the first 2 are on Facebook and the rest are on UFC.tv for us in the UK. Just remember to sign up for a (free) account before hand.

Although I may have made up the Facebook prelims thinking about it. None the less, they start at 11pm so that should at least make the wait until 3 easier.

Edited by forkboy

2 fights on Facebook, including the debut of Dutch fighter Michael Kuiper, that might get Quasi's attention. :P

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Welterweight bout: Dan Stittgen vs. Stephen Thompson[1]

Middleweight bout: Rafael Natal vs. Michael Kuiper[1]

[edit]Preliminary card (FX)

Welterweight bout: Matthew Riddle vs. Henry Martinez[1]

Welterweight bout: Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope[1]

Bantamweight bout: Alex Caceres vs. Edwin Figueroa[1]

Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Max Holloway[1]

[edit]Main card

Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Clifford Starks[1]

Bantamweight bout: Renan Barão vs. Scott Jorgensen[1]

Welterweight bout: Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce[1]

Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Fabricio Werdum[1]

Interim Welterweight Championship bout: Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit[1]

Guest mr. potato head

Facebook prelim spoiler

Headkick of the Year!

w00t.gif

2.gif

He's been calling himself the white Jon Jones and he just might live up to it, at least insofar as the crazy moves Bones busted out in his first few fights.