UFC News and Discussion Thread

Seeing as that was my first time seing Sonnen in action, can someone tell me why hes supposedly so hated? Personality wise, he was hi-fucking-larious but i could understand him being unpopular if it was from the perspective that his actual talent doesnt match the game he talks.

He was great against Silva, he was great against Stann. He was given Bisping just 2 weeks or so before the event because of an injury to his opponent who is a completely different fighter than Bisping. Yeah he's hilarious, he makes the experience better for me, he's just amazing at promos and I can't wait 'till Silva/Sonnen 2 now.

Continue to wonder where the fuck they actually get some of these judges. Who scores the Bisping fight 30-27 to Sonnen? Seriously? Utter madness. I actually had Bisping winning that fight, giving him the first two rounds and Sonnen the third. Sonnen looked average at best throughout and if he turns up like this to the Silva fight, he'll be lucky to last a round.

Good stuff from Evans, cant wait for Bones/Evans.

• Like 1

I was surprised by the Bisping/Sonnen decision as well. I had Bisping winning the first two rounds and Sonnen taking the third, it wasn't a great fight for either guy though.

Jones/Evans should be a cracker.

I quite like the set up for these Fox shows. The three man panel is nice but they really need a way of blocking out the music from the arena, you could barely hear them in the build up to the Bisping/Sonnen fight over 'Killing in the Name Of'.

I had the first round for Sonnen, but the second for Bisping and obviously the third for Sonnen. But, there really wasn't much difference between the first and second other than Sonnen's early explosion in the first so I can definitely see why Bisping would be given the first two rounds. I'm definitely more impressed by Bisping coming out of the fight, he did a great job defending the takedown and getting back to his feet in those first two rounds, and I'm not even sure how he managed to avoid being submitted in the third, so props to him for his defensive display. Still, he didn't look killer in the stand-up department, didn't hit any big shots from what I saw.

It is a weird one. I think Bisping is a rare case for Sonnen, Silva won't have that amount of defensive skill when put on his back. On the other hand, if Bisping did win he wouldn't last long standing with Silva. Sonnen is still the best beat to beat Silva if anyone is going to, but his takedowns and strength just didn't look as impressive as usual against Bisping.

Watching now. Round 1 was definitely Bisping's. Sonnen was good early on, but Bisping then brought it back and just about edged it.

Round 2, Bisping's again. I can see how round 1 could be seen as Sonnen's. But two? No chance. Very surprised at how this went to the decision it did.

Everyone agrees the judge who scored it 30-27 is an idiot, but 29-28 for Sonnen is perfectly acceptable as would have been 29-28 for Bisping. Chael did more damage in round 1, though it was a short burst. Bisping was in control for longer, but wasn't doing anything dominant. It totally depends on personal preference with scoring. This wasn't like the Shogun/Machida travesty from a few years back.

That was a close fight, but I was seriously getting annoyed with Rogan's constant dickriding of Bisping throughout.

It wasn't constant. He stopped to rag on his spinning kick being slow as molasses, which I thought was funny.

Everyone agrees the judge who scored it 30-27 is an idiot, but 29-28 for Sonnen is perfectly acceptable as would have been 29-28 for Bisping. Chael did more damage in round 1, though it was a short burst. Bisping was in control for longer, but wasn't doing anything dominant. It totally depends on personal preference with scoring. This wasn't like the Shogun/Machida travesty from a few years back.

I had it 29-28 Bisping, but I can see it going the other way. Neither guy deserved a 30 though.

Hello, I am Michael Bisping and my wrestling is the British double, pulling the shorts and grabbing the fence.

Seriously, though, that was Michael Bisping's best performance of his career. Speaking of rounds however, I had the first one for Sonnen but barely, the second one for Bisping and the third one obviously for Sonnen. But Chael seriously needs to work something else than his promo skills when he prepares for his fight against Silva.

• Like 1

Yeah they put a hardsell in on Bisping everytime, and then he proceeds to lose.

If he loses every time, then how does he have a 12-4 record in the UFC? :huh:

I know the Americans don't like the guy, but he is much much better than the majority of American fans give him credit for, and he has only been dominated once in his UFC career in his loss to Dan Henderson, he is an elite middleweight and could beat anyone in the division (including Chael, if there ever was a rematch Bisping has proved that he stands a good chance), who's name isn't Anderson Silva

He is 12-4 in the UFC because he has been booked really smart. All the good middleweights he has fought (and Wandy) he has lost to. He is not an elite middleweight, he is a fine middleweight. Bisping is the Frank Mir of the middleweight division.

Well... at least the UFC has it's two big fights it wanted: Silva Vs Sonnen (that will be huge in Brazil) and Jones vs Evans.

Not impressed by the fights however... but I may have been somewhat of extremely disappointed with Maia's loss. I want the old Maia from before his Marquardt-fight back :-(. Maybe he'll get Bisping next... but I don't think that unless he finds his jiu-jitsu wizardry back, he'll be in title contention any time soon.

Sonnen's speech was great. I know some MMA-fans don't like it because they don't want to be compared to the 'fake wrestling' thing... but it's just entertaining. I like his post-match interviews a lot more then the usual 'yeah... it was a hard fight... glad I won... thanks to my coaches, my wife, my friends and my sponsors... oh, and you Joe Rogan!'

Next: Diaz vs Condit. If GSP can fight late 2012, that could be another huge title fight in the making!

Guest mr. potato head

Silly SRN, Bisping's nowhere near Frank Mir's level and Mir wouldn't even be a gatekeeper if the heavyweight division was as stacked as the lower weight classes.

He is 12-4 in the UFC because he has been booked really smart. All the good middleweights he has fought (and Wandy) he has lost to. He is not an elite middleweight, he is a fine middleweight. Bisping is the Frank Mir of the middleweight division.

Exactly this. They put him in high-profile bouts because he does a good job building himself up by beating weak opponents and being great at self-promotion. Then he proceeds to lose to the high-profile opponents while getting a ton of hype from the announcers throughout for obvious business reasons. If he were a little better he'd be a cash cow since he'd be an icon in Brtain and loathed by Americans and the rest of the world. He still has time to maybe put it all together, and like Frank Mir he is treated like a big deal by Rogan and the rest of the UFC because of where he could potentially go with a high-profle win.