UFC News and Discussion Thread

“Chael’s biggest weapon is his mouth – but this ain’t no kissing contest and he isn’t going to talk me to death. Unlucky for him he can’t hurt me with his mouth in the Octagon and I am going to crush him. I’m in my prime and this is my time…

[H]is wrestling skills will be on point, I’m going to get the best Chael Sonnen possible, I know that. But his jiu-jitsu wont be too slick. Chael Sonnen can take me down if he likes, because I know I can submit him off my back. I know I can. That’s his big weakness. I may not have a black belt, but I consider myself a black belt. I’ve been rolling with Jake Shields, Dean Lister and a wash of other world champions. Believe me, if Chael Sonnen takes me down he better be prepared to get submitted.

Working with these guys recently, these top level jiu-jitsu guys, has really brought on my game and I am so comfortable on my back right now. In the past I have stood fights up a lot but the way I am training right now, I will be delighted if Chael takes me down. If he does, then it will be a short night for him.”

-------

Sonnen:

“I’m not on the anti-Bisping bandwagon. I never have been. I think he’s good. I hear a lot of negative things said about him, but I think most of it comes from frustration of maybe his personality or something like that. I think if you’re real objective and you look at his skill set and his in-ring ability, you’ll know that he’s a talented guy. He’s definitely cocky and arrogant, which is two qualities that I like in a person. I like a cocky guy and I like an arrogant guy, so he earns points with me in those regards, but I think it turns a lot of people off … I’ve never even seen Bisping in trouble. I’ve never seen him come out of there cut and scraped and bruised. He seems to go in, take care of business and go home.”

In all honesty I'm way more hyped for this one than either Maia/Bisping or Sonnen/Munoz.

Guest mr. potato head

Whilst Silva vs Bisping likely wouldn't be a contest, I hate Sonnen. How anyone, even the staunchest anti-Bisping UFC fans, could pull for Sonnen is beyond me.

Completely agree. Sonnen's gone beyond hyping fights into pure pro wrestling hyperbole. Bisping might be a dick but at least he comes by it honestly.

Bisping thinking that by training with black belts for a short period has made him the equivalent to a black belt worries me. If Sonnen had any sort of defence on the ground I'd think he was an unbackable favourite. But if he's shown anything it seems to be that no matter how many times he gets tapped he's not going to bother learning how to defend a triangle. There's a difference between arrogance and stupidity, when you have a massive vulnerability to submissions and your strongest attribute is wrestling, then you would think you might invest some time learning how not to be tapped out.

From Chael Sonnen's twitter:

‎"Spent months training to fight Munoz and now I have to fight a guy who sounds like "PIP" from South Park."

:lol:

Sonnen:

“I’m not on the anti-Bisping bandwagon. I never have been. I think he’s good. I hear a lot of negative things said about him, but I think most of it comes from frustration of maybe his personality or something like that. I think if you’re real objective and you look at his skill set and his in-ring ability, you’ll know that he’s a talented guy. He’s definitely cocky and arrogant, which is two qualities that I like in a person. I like a cocky guy and I like an arrogant guy, so he earns points with me in those regards, but I think it turns a lot of people off … I’ve never even seen Bisping in trouble. I’ve never seen him come out of there cut and scraped and bruised. He seems to go in, take care of business and go home.”

Guess he never saw

then.

I love how Bisping is insinuating that he knows anything else than the British double-leg and boxing. I can't wait for Sonnen to just lay on him in side control for fifteen minutes and punch his head into mashed potato. It is going to be the best fight ever.

Sonnen:

Guess he never saw

then.

:wub: I could watch that 100 times and still enjoy it

• Like 2

Sonnen:

"I'm not on the anti-Bisping bandwagon. I never have been. I think he's good. I hear a lot of negative things said about him, but I think most of it comes from frustration of maybe his personality or something like that. I think if you're real objective and you look at his skill set and his in-ring ability, you'll know that he's a talented guy. He's definitely cocky and arrogant, which is two qualities that I like in a person. I like a cocky guy and I like an arrogant guy, so he earns points with me in those regards, but I think it turns a lot of people off … I've never even seen Bisping in trouble. I've never seen him come out of there cut and scraped and bruised. He seems to go in, take care of business and go home."

Guess he never saw

then.

:wub: I could watch that 100 times and still enjoy it

We all can, that's the beauty of Fistos.

Main card picks for tonight?

Heavyweight bout: Pat Barry vs. Christian Morecraft - I actually prefer Barry but his record against bigger guys is awful.

Bantamweight bout: Mike Easton vs. Jared Papazian - I originally thought that this was just another showcase for Easton but looking over Papazian's record, he doesn't appear to be a slouch and he's picked up wins against some decent fighters. I'm sticking with my initial thought though.

Welterweight bout: Duane Ludwig vs. Josh Neer - Bang just continues to improve and if he fights as well as he did against Amir last time out he'll easily handle Neer.

Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Jim Miller - Miller is just too good all round for Guillard in my view, I don't think he'll ever make it to the top of the lightweight division but he'll always be challenging for a top five position.

Those are honestly, pretty much my picks, perhaps going with Barry over Morecraft, mostly because Morecraft lost to fucking Matt Mitrione, who in turn lost to Cheick Kongo, who got a lucky KO over Barry. Or simply because I just love that little midget so god damn much and I want him to win everything. :wub:

I look forward to next Sunday when I can be smug about Bisping winning. Until then, continue the hating <_<

But until then!

Tonight looks good, Miller vs Guillard is a pick 'em fight, like both guys, would probably prefer Guillard to win.

WAR BARRY! That is all <_<

But seriously, Barry has to show some serious improvement in grappling if he is to continue his tenure as a UFC fighter.

Mike Eaton is a beast, i expect a win there.

Ludwig to win, I like Bang, entertaining and a potentially fun gatekeeper.

As far as FX goes I am picking, Brenneman, Camoes, Schafer, Shalarous, Denis and Pineda.

.... WAR! NINJA OF LOVE! :shifty:

He has injured his back so is weighing up his options. Especially since if he does continue he's never getting another title shot.

Yes he does announcing. He's highly overrated, he's boring and shit and ugly and boring.