UFC News and Discussion Thread

The answer to the weight cutting issue could be to put a percentage limit on how much weight you can cut for example 10%, so a fighter who weighs 170lbs could cut to 153lbs max, a 230lbs guy to 207lbs, and so on, so you don't get guys cutting from around 200lbs to 170lbs and looking like death.

Guest mr. potato head

The answer to the weight cutting issue could be to put a percentage limit on how much weight you can cut for example 10%, so a fighter who weighs 170lbs could cut to 153lbs max, a 230lbs guy to 207lbs, and so on, so you don't get guys cutting from around 200lbs to 170lbs and looking like death.

Percentage based on what though? Fighters' walking weights fluctuate all the time, look at Frank Mir for an extreme version of that.

He is. Until he hits the ground he is essentially unconcious, only the pain of the impact jolts him back awake.

Percentage based on what though? Fighters' walking weights fluctuate all the time, look at Frank Mir for an extreme version of that.

Just take a base and that is where it goes from, everyone knows the limit, its easy to see if fighters are dehydrating themselves for a weight cut for it, and just have a lower limit for that as well.

As I said before I am not saying "This is the solution" I do not think there is one, nor do I think a change is required. I think the status quo is fine, but people will always try and think up an alternative, but nothing will be perfect and people will push the rules and boundaries.

There wasn't a fight on this card that I was particularly excited about though it was nice to see Belfort pick up the victory. I'd have rather seen a knock out from him but either way is fine. Speaking of Belfort though, I think the Barbosa spinning back kick surprised me as much as the jumping front kick from Silva did. That knee from Aldo was awesome. Hopefully that's a sign that he's back to peak performance.

That was an awesome night of fights. I loved everything from the Gonzaga return to Aldo running right out into the crowd after he won. And that spinning heel kick is going to be Knockout of the Year. The only thing that is going to top that is, yup, you guessed, a double KO in a huge UFC fight.

• Like 1

I liked the show as well... amazing headkick from Barboza, definitely knockout of the year-candidate. I'd even agree with Goldberg that it's the greatest KO in UFC history (seeing as the Matrix kick of Pettis was still in WEC). I also liked Koscheck's knockout of Yoshida and offcourse the frontkicks of Machida and A.Silva.

Great performances by Belfort, Palhares & Aldo too... must have been a great Brazilian night.

What I didn't like was Joe Rogan showing his opinion in the Yamasaki-decision. He's the announcer, he should be somewhat objective. It's not the first time he does this either. I remember him telling Matt Brown he believed Matt had won the fight against Dong-Hyun Kim allthough Kim probably deserved to win the fight. Rogan made Yamasaki's night even more difficult than it allready was. Maybe Dana should let Rogan officiate a couple of matches and see if he'll take all the right decisions...

Joe voicing his opinions on the broadcast is what fans like about him, though. Censoring Joe Rogan would be a huge mistake. Mike Goldberg is already there to be the less opinionated of the two men, and two bring a balance to the situation when Joe's opinion borders on controversial.

The last thing I want, is to turn on a night of fights and have to listen to two Gus Johnson's calling the show.

• Like 2

The last thing I want, is to turn on a night of fights and have to listen to two Gus Johnson's calling the show.

Agreed on that one :-). I think even Gus Johnson thinks Gus Johnson is boring.

But I disagree on your other comment though... Rogan did make Yamasaki's job a lot harder. The official was visibly struggling... no need for Joe Rogan to make it even worse. I think he may have influenced a lot of fans too with his actions. And if you watch the replay... Yamasaki's decision is at least defensable, if not the correct call...

EDIT: And I seriously hope for Rogan & White (and the fighters offcourse) that nobody gets serious brain damage because of a punch to the back of the head in the near future...

Edited by bolleje

Joe Rogan didn't do a damn thing to make Mario Yamasaki's job any harder - he's been the exact same way for years, and Yamasaki is a professional who I assume has to deal with criticism each and every day when he goes about his daily life - for sure he has to deal with it directly after an event that he officiates. Rogan doesn't exist to be objective in the least and the best part about him is basically the fact that he comes off as a fan who just happens to be highly, highly informed about what he is commentating.

This is hardly a case where "yeah, well I bet he couldn't do any better" applies. Rogan was doing his job and Yamasaki was doing his.

I liked the show as well... amazing headkick from Barboza, definitely knockout of the year-candidate. I'd even agree with Goldberg that it's the greatest KO in UFC history (seeing as the Matrix kick of Pettis was still in WEC).

Pettis won that fight by decision, not KO.

Joe Rogan didn't do a damn thing to make Mario Yamasaki's job any harder - he's been the exact same way for years, and Yamasaki is a professional who I assume has to deal with criticism each and every day when he goes about his daily life - for sure he has to deal with it directly after an event that he officiates. Rogan doesn't exist to be objective in the least and the best part about him is basically the fact that he comes off as a fan who just happens to be highly, highly informed about what he is commentating.

This is hardly a case where "yeah, well I bet he couldn't do any better" applies. Rogan was doing his job and Yamasaki was doing his.

Yeah, but in some peoples views, Rogan was wrong. So therefore, Rogan shouldn't really be doing his 'voice of the people' type schtick, and acting as if that was an outrageous decision, when it really wasn't. As anyone who follows other sports should know, casting doubt on the referee's ability to call a decision correctly can affect what they do in the future, both in a positive and negative way.

• Like 1