UFC News and Discussion Thread

Great performance from Overeem, his stance was correct, he did not give Lesnar a chance to shoot in and he destroyed him with body shots, I would also like to add that we are finally seeing Overeem reaching his potential which has threatened for years, and now nobody argue (like I was right up until last night) that he is not a top contender at 265. Can he beat JDS though? I am excited to see.

Diaz looked amazing last night, his improvement over the past 9 months is remarkable, training in the camp he does it must be an amazing fconfidence and technique boost and he dominated Cowboy last night. I would like to see Diaz face somebody like Joe Lauzon next, that fight is one which almost pushes the winner towards a title shot at 155.

Hettes and Gustafson impressed, The Mauler isn't quite getting the attention he might deserve, but if he keeps plugging away eventually he will develop a following and more and more momentum.

But what can you say about Baconator? Big Rig DESTROYED Fitch, this is a guy who has only ever lost to GSP and has been the perpetual number 2 guy in the 170 division for years, and he gets laid out in 12 seconds? Brilliant brilliant brilliant for Hendricks, and I am really excited to see where it goes from here.

Good stuff!

Guest mr. potato head

Oh wow. I was watching the fight without sound so my opinion could be way off, but Lesnar just didn't look good, whether it's diverculitis or age or some combination of the two. Other than the one takedown attempt that went nowhere, he didn't try to do anything, and Overeem basically was able to throw everything at him without fear of a counter.

It's too bad he's retiring, especially without first taking a fight with say the Browne/Griggs winner. It'd pop a huge TV rating or be a solid PPV co-main, not really hurt the opponent if Lesnar wins and give them a huge rub if they beat Lesnar (a la Machida/Ortiz way back when). Ah well. Also looking forward to JDS/Overeem although I really have trouble giving Overeem a chance in that one. Don't know what this means for Velasquez, maybe the Werdum/Nelson winner?

On the one hand I think Diaz needs another win before getting a title shot, on the other hand I'm not sure who's still out there in the same position. Maynard? Pettis?

Tough to see Fitch get knocked out like that, I suspect he's passed his peak now. Great win for Hendricks though. Unfortunately he's probably out of the title picture for a while as the Sanchez/Ellenberger winner will probably get the Diaz/Condit winner, and then GSP should be back after that, maybe put Hendricks against Kim, or the Kampmann/Alves winner? Ebersole?

Good win for Gustafsson, he's still a bona fide prospect even if not on the Phil Davis level. Not sure if Forrest Griffin would agree to a fight, but that would be fun. Nogueira or Machida could be a star-making performance too.

Yeh I'm really excited about how the Welterweight division is shaping up, thanks to the emergence of fighters like Hendricks, Ellenberger and McDonald along with GSP being on the shelf for a long time and Fitch being knocked off the number 2 spot it's exciting times for the division.

I think 170 is about to turn into 205 where the title is constantly passed around. GSP isn't getting any younger and has a serious injury to boot, you can count on one hand the number of guys who have been in his shoes and come back as dominant as before. With guys like Hendricks and Ellenberger on the rise it's going to be a ton of fun over the next few years.

I ordered the event through UFC.TV. When the event started, the entire site went down, and didn't come back up until the Lesnar fight. The XBox app also went down for anyone trying to watch it on there. There was no support details anywhere on the UFC site, no phone numbers, no e-mail. On Twitter there were hundreds of people telling UFC that the site was down. $45 bucks down the drain. UFC has yet to comment. Never again will I waste my money.

Still nothing from them about the UFC.TV fuckup. Messages on Facebook get ignored too. Seriously, it's like paying $45 to not watch a show is no big deal. I can't believe there is no phone numbers or anything to straighten this out.

Did it cost less through the Xbox app? If not, I really can't figure out why people would use that over the traditional means of ordering it.

If you don't have cable like me, it really looked like it could be useful. You get to stream the event through your TV without the additional steps of running it through your computer to the TV with VGA chords and external external speakers.

Just finished the Diaz/Cerrone fight. Donald, why didn't you just stick to your wrestling? Why did you try to strike with Nate Diaz? Did you not see his fight against Takanori Gomi? It is all okay, though. Because Nate Diaz is amazing. I can't wait for him to become Lightweight champion and Nick to beat GSP. 2012, year of the Diaz and I can't wait.

Also, Lesnar/Overeem; well, did it surprise anyone?

All the people who told me Overeem wouldn't beat Brock back a page I'd assume. Although it was pretty much exactly as I said. Not much good came out of it for him. If Dana hadn't already announced that the winner got next title shot I'm not sure Overeem would have earnt one since Brock looked well not so good, and it wasn't that he was schooled so badly he looked crap. He was just slow.

Cerrone likely didn't feel he could smother Nate. Nate is one of the most dangerous guys in a defensive guard. Although I'm not sure Cerrone has ever lost on the ground? I need to watch the fight. I've been lazy watching the PPV.

The fight is amazing, for me, as a complete Diaz fan. The funniest part was hearing Greg Jackson scream his fucking lungs out for three rounds, calling for that dumb Texan to shoot.

Also yeah, Lesnar looked slower than a coma patient. He was just standing there, arms raised, waiting and barely moving. The best part was that 'Reem just didn't respect his striking AT ALL. Not even a tiny single bit.

• Like 1