UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Miguel Torres back in UFC after donating to a rape centre.

Also just saw a commercial for Lesnar/Overeem, which raised a question in my mind. To people who are only casual UFC fans and don't know much about the rest of MMA, do they see Overeem as a Danny Williams-like figure designed to give Lesnar an easy comeback win?

Also just saw a commercial for Lesnar/Overeem, which raised a question in my mind. To people who are only casual UFC fans and don't know much about the rest of MMA, do they see Overeem as a Danny Williams-like figure designed to give Lesnar an easy comeback win?

After Cain slaughtered Brock and Dos Santos slaughtered Cain, I doubt casuals see Brock as in any position to take an easy comeback win, even if that's what they're giving him.

If the show draws poorly, I don't think Overeem will be why.

Oh, it is? I thought they were running New Year's Eve... which would be an even bigger factor IMO.

It'll probably do better than I expected on Friday then. :shifty:

But yeah, I'm not sure there's much novelty in "does Brock still have it?" when the guy that beat him's already been beaten himself.

Hell, perhaps an easy comeback win is the right idea...

Brock hasn't even fought in a year, I don't think many people see him as the top guy anymore.

I know already the show being on a Friday will throw me off and I'll miss the undercard. That said, if it were on NYE it would probably do worse. They would have to run the show, hoping to end it by 11pm EST. It would start way too early. Friday gives them the right time for the show at the least. I know I'll be out all weekend though, so buys might be less but more people might be watching because they'll be out at bars, clubs, etc.

Guest mr. potato head

So is this being seen as a tune up fight for Overeem then?

If you're asking for the perspective of the hardcore fans, it's pretty much a pick 'em with a slight edge to Lesnar. The weird part is that despite what C-MIL said (and he does have a great point) about the guy who beat Brock getting beaten himself, these two are still among the top six or so heavyweights in the world.

The show on Fuel hyping the fight did an astounding 15k viewers.

Wow.

How is that even possible? Millions of Americans get Fuel.

Millions get it, hundreds actually watch it.

So is this being seen as a tune up fight for Overeem then?

If you're asking for the perspective of the hardcore fans, it's pretty much a pick 'em with a slight edge to Lesnar. The weird part is that despite what C-MIL said (and he does have a great point) about the guy who beat Brock getting beaten himself, these two are still among the top six or so heavyweights in the world.

No, I'd consider myself a 'hardcore fan'. I have seen most of Overeem's fights (all of his fights at HW and his K-1 tournament fights). I meant are UFC promoting his as the favourite. I have Overeem as the favourite. I can't see how he hasn't earnt that. He's beaten everyone he has faced since moving up. He hasn't looked like losing since moving up. He won the K-1 as an MMA fighter rather than being a K-1 fighter moving into MMA. Brock may have quickness and retard strength but if he doesn't get the fight down to the mat he's going to get slaughtered, especially since twice now he's shown that he has no idea what to do besides freeze and run away when he gets hit. If they are promoting this as a tune up fight for either man it's a mistake. I believe Overeem is a much more dangerous and better fighter than Brock, but I feel that Brock's biggest strengths are in Overeem's weakest areas. I still think this fight is happening way too soon. I would have liked for both fighters to have a fight prior. Brock to show he's over his illness and Overeem to show off. It's not like Pat Barry is going to threaten Overeem, hell they could have done a whole Pride thing and have him retire Cro Cop.

It's weird as Dana did the whole thing with Fox where he was trying to grab a brand new audience and was working on the assumption that they knew nothing and has turned around and booked a fight that only has major interest to 'hardcore MMA fans'. But if Overeem wins it's because Brock is coming off an injury, if Brock dominates it will be a hard thing for Overeem to recover from.

I think he is. Only Cain & Dos Santos are currently better in my opinion. He beat Couture, Mir & Carwin... that's some of the top guys. He's also one of the few heavyweights to defend the UFC title succesfully twice. Will be interesting to see where Overeem and Barnett will rank eventually but I still see Lesnar beating Overeem. I also think he's still a huge draw, despite his recent inactivity. The guy has what wrestling fans would call 'Superstar looks'. I'm pretty sure that if I'd show some friends of me that don't know a thing about MMA or wrestling pictures of Lesnar, Carwin, Overeem, Mir, Barnett, Dos Santos and Velasquez and ask them to pick the guy that would win a fighting tournament, most of them would pick Lesnar. He's still a monster... that should sell tickets.

In other UFC news, another Strikeforce HW has joined: Shane Del Rosario. A bit surprised as I thought they were going to keep him in Strikeforce for the last heavyweight fight (against the Grand Prix winner). Not sure who will face Barnett/Cormier now in that one...

Guest mr. potato head

Considering the HW division is dead after the GP, the winner will face someone in the UFC.

Dana's been saying since they announced the division switch that the winner would have one more fight in Strikeforce before moving over.