UFC News and Discussion Thread

I really do think it could end up being a good night of fights. Just give it a shot.

Are they going to let Johnson fight? I mean 11 pounds is more than just a little bit over. Edit. He has to weigh under 205 the night of, that's shit for two reasons, a.) he may end up fighting whilst dehydrated which is stupid, b.) 205 is the maximum weight for a division up. I hope Belfort is getting a bonus.

Also is Chad Mendes capable of attending a weigh in without having a clear photo taken of the outline of his circumcised penis? It's not like I mind but surely it's deliberate?

Are they going to let Johnson fight? I mean 11 pounds is more than just a little bit over. Edit. He has to weigh under 205 the night of, that's shit for two reasons, a.) he may end up fighting whilst dehydrated which is stupid, b.) 205 is the maximum weight for a division up. I hope Belfort is getting a bonus.

Whatever amount of money Rumble is scheduled to earn, 20% of that goes to Belfort

I read they drop the fight live on the PPV if he weighs in at less than 205. This kind of ruins the whole point of weight classes since they openly admit the guys starve themselves for the weigh-in and then put all the weight back on by the night of the fight. When I wrestled in high school we had to weigh in right before the meet and then a lot (I was one of the exceptions luckily) would eat and drink a lot of protein and water respectively because they hadn't done it for at least a day. It's dangerously unhealthy to cut weight like this and, quite frankly, it's an archaic practice. Unfortunately I don't have a solution.

They should go back to how UFC used to be, with no weight classes, one night tournaments, and only on naughty channels. :w00t:

Whatever amount of money Rumble is scheduled to earn, 20% of that goes to Belfort

I'd want more than $8000 (provided he was set to earn $40k which sounds about right) for fighting a guy a weight class above me. He should have been sacked on the spot. If the shit about a UFC doctor stopping his weight cut is true I really can't see how he can be fit to fight. This is one of the weirdest things I've seen in UFC as far as odd decisions around fights goes.

Dana constantly says he would never book a freak show fight and then allows a guy to weigh in at a weight class above. 205 is the maximum a LHW can weigh to put it into perspective, this isn't just a little bit over the MW weight, Anthony may potentially come in over the LHW weight. It's just insanity.

I feel sorry for Belfort. He's not going to knock back a fight in Rio and The UFC need him on the card as well. I hope Johnson gets knocked out in 3 under three minutes.

Guest mr. potato head

I read they drop the fight live on the PPV if he weighs in at less than 205. This kind of ruins the whole point of weight classes since they openly admit the guys starve themselves for the weigh-in and then put all the weight back on by the night of the fight. When I wrestled in high school we had to weigh in right before the meet and then a lot (I was one of the exceptions luckily) would eat and drink a lot of protein and water respectively because they hadn't done it for at least a day. It's dangerously unhealthy to cut weight like this and, quite frankly, it's an archaic practice. Unfortunately I don't have a solution.

I think you had a solution in that very post. Make people weigh in right before they fight. It stops people from these massive weight cuts because they won't have time to bulk back up.

Dana constantly says he would never book a freak show fight and then allows a guy to weigh in at a weight class above. 205 is the maximum a LHW can weigh to put it into perspective, this isn't just a little bit over the MW weight, Anthony may potentially come in over the LHW weight. It's just insanity.

205 is the maximum a LHW can weigh the day before the fight. There's a big difference. Belfort may actually weight 195-200 lbs depending on how much he cut yesterday. I'd be interested to see what the weight difference is today, since that's the important comparison.

It isn't fair at all. There is a difference between a fighter who has needed to cut weight as opposed to one who hasn't. It takes a toll. The toll it takes is weighed up by the fighter, as some point the extra strength you get by being heavier is worth less than the fatigue caused by the cut and you reach a weight where the cut isn't worth the toll. Not needing to worry about this is an unfair advantage. There is also no information on if Rumble actually still had to cut weight to make 205. I'm assuming he did as it strikes me as a bit coincidental that he was less than one pound off 205.

You can't weigh in the day of the fight as people will still cut weight, fight whilst dehydrated and be at greater risk of brain injuries. The whole system is fucked up.

Here's a question, then - why do they even bother having divisions as '186 - 205 pounds?' That would imply that the commissions believe it's safe for a guy who's 186 pounds to fight a guy who's 205 pounds. That's not unbelievable, I don't think that the rules should state that fighters can only fairly compete against someone with excatly the same weight.

With the weigh-ins happening 24 hours before the fight, the current difference is between guys who cut and guys who don't cut. Everyone starts at roughly the same weight the day before and then some guys put on additional pounds with all the related problems as a balance. That's why there's the impression that fighters are only safe if they fight someone who's exactly the same weight. I'm excepting the HW division since it's such an enormous variance, but that's another example of where a guy who's 40 pounds lighter than his opponent can safely fight. It isn't even necessarily an advantage. Maybe Belfort's thinking 'Meh, I'm gonna be about 190-195 tomorrow and he'll be no more than 205. It's not a big deal.'

Because they are cutting to make the weight. It's like a fight before the fight. Go watch a video or an interview with a fighter cutting weight and see if they find it difficult/draining/taxing. Also 186-205 is LHW. Belfort made the weight for the MW division, so he could fight anyone between 171-185. So the commission doesn't believe it's safe for a guy in the MW division to fight a LHW. I'd argue there is too large a difference between weight classes. I don't know how to solve that. I don't want to end up with 35 weight divisions. But it may allow for less weight cutting as guys don't need to cut 15 pounds to make a decent weight range.

I'd also argue weight matters slightly less as you move up the weight classes. It's why guys are happy to fight HW when they weigh 225 pounds rather than 265. But Georges won't move up to 185 as he feels as if he doesn't weigh enough to be relevant (despite weighing over the MW limit). When your champion is saying that he can't manage to move up a division it should probably be a good indicator that a 15 pound difference is a lot. Especially if Rumble has needed to cut down to 205 which is definitely what my intuition is saying.

I definitely agree that the weight difference is more significant at lower levels, that's why the divisions get narrower and narrower and it's certainly right. I also understand that cutting has its own consequences. So in this position - if Rumble weighs more today, then he cut more and had proportional drawbacks to stamina (for example.) If he cut less, then the weight difference is smaller. An upper limit of 205 has been made for today, so the maximum weight difference is probably 15 pounds (and that's assuming Belfort only put on 5 pounds since yesterday.) I don't think that's dangerous.

Belfort made the weight for the MW division, so he could fight anyone between 171-185. So the commission doesn't believe it's safe for a guy in the MW division to fight a LHW.

Belfort weighs 185 yesterday. It's judged safe for him to fight a guy that's 171 but it's not safe for him to fight a guy who's 200? The divisions are just invisible lines. If a guy weighs in 5 pounds heavy, they almost always still fight. If a guy weighs in 5 pounds under the weight limit, that's accepted as a fair fight. A 171 pound guy who doesn't cut would be allowed to fight a 185 guy who does cut. That's permissable. I don't think a 15 pound difference is big enough to influence the skill of the participants. Bigger isn't always better.

There is no commission with it being in Brazil and whatnot, its not regulated.

If you were to ask fighters to fight at their walking weights you would need a lot more weight division to get over the 10 to 20 lbs of difference that would still exist, I know weight cutting has health issues, but at the end of the day there is no system that would produce better results in my opinion. I think it really is a case of there being no perfect solution, much like the perceived judging problem in MMA, and dreaming up other solutions is all well and good, but there are still problems with the possible solutions that are produced.