UFC News and Discussion Thread

If you were to ask fighters to fight at their walking weights you would need a lot more weight division to get over the 10 to 20 lbs of difference that would still exist, I know weight cutting has health issues, but at the end of the day there is no system that would produce better results in my opinion.

I wonder what would happen if they kept exactly the same weight divisions, but had weigh-ins an hour before the fight. You'd probably have to split up the heavweight division, but what would the effects be?

I think it really is a case of there being no perfect solution, much like the perceived judging problem in MMA, and dreaming up other solutions is all well and good, but there are still problems with the possible solutions that are produced.

Yeah, the major problem with judging is that it's still essentially just an opinion. They aren't representing fact and people are always going to have different impressions of what's important. Now judges are seemingly more and more open to giving 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, I don't think there's all that much that can be improved.

Edited by -A-

I already answered the weigh ins the day of. If you are dehydrated you have less fluid in your brain (it's also what gives you a hang over). Fighters would still cut weight and would then be at much greater risk of brain damage since there would be less fluid to slow the brain when it bashes against the skull.

The ultimate way to solve the weight cut issue is to create a ton of weight divisions. It's the only thing that will work. Fighters would cut less weight and would likely rehydrate back to the same weight as the person they are fighting.

I still think you are greatly underestimating the toll cutting weight takes.

I already answered the weigh ins the day of. If you are dehydrated you have less fluid in your brain (it's also what gives you a hang over). Fighters would still cut weight and would then be at much greater risk of brain damage since there would be less fluid to slow the brain when it bashes against the skull.

The ultimate way to solve the weight cut issue is to create a ton of weight divisions. It's the only thing that will work. Fighters would cut less weight and would likely rehydrate back to the same weight as the person they are fighting.

I still think you are greatly underestimating the toll cutting weight takes.

I don't think I'm making the points you think I'm making. I've specifically said that I know there are serious effects of cutting weight. My belief is that it is not dangerous or unfair sportingly for one fighter to weight 15 pounds more than the other. It's not a big deal. I'm not encouraging weight cutting or underestimating its effect, I'm playing down the effects of a 10-15 pound weight difference between fighters.

I was answering your "why can't they weigh in an hour before the fight" question.

I have a totally different view to you because I believe that 11 pounds in cut weight is much more significant than 11 pounds in normal weight. Beyond which if Rumble had cut to get down to 204 it means he weighs more than 205. Given how shredded he looked at 191 I don't think it's a massive leap to make that he's cutting from above 205.

Beyond which my biggest concern is that if the cut was so bad they needed to pull the pin and pump in fluids three hours before weigh ins then I'm actually worried about the effects of him taking part in an exceptionally physically taxing event 24 hours later. It's going to be interesting in 20 years time when we have walking examples on if weight cutting as you get older leads to health issues in older age. But it does worry me as an Olympic athlete wouldn't get treatment for what was most likely severe dehydration and then compete the next day. If they do it certainly wouldn't be in a sport that's super physically taxing and/or involves getting hit in the head multiple times. I'm not a doctor but I can't imagine it's good for you to do this.

Guest mr. potato head

I was answering your "why can't they weigh in an hour before the fight" question.

Don't agree with your answer to that though. I think an Anderson Silva (for example) would realize that fighting a fresh 205 pounder while fresh himself is easier than fighting a fresh 185 pounder while dehydrated.

Rich Franklin hated cutting enough weight to make MW. Forrest finds it tough as well. Quite a few do. These are athletes who will do anything for a competitive advantage. I'm sure some wouldn't cut weight. But I bet plenty still would. I'd imagine nearly all of them would at least sweat out five pounds, because why not?

I asked that question genuinely because I wanted to know the answer, not because I was trying to suggest that there would be no effect.

I have a totally different view to you because I believe that 11 pounds in cut weight is much more significant than 11 pounds in normal weight.

Do you mean in terms of having a 'fair fight?' If so, I think that 11 pounds in normal weight is far, far more significant an advantage than 11 pounds of cut weight. In one situation the guy has all the severe negative effects of cutting, in the other he's simply a bigger guy.

Oh Mario, what a shit call. Those strikes were never to the back of the head.

There were a couple that were. The fight should have been stood up, or restarted from that position, once the guy had a chance to rest. It only takes one punch to the back of the head to do serious damage, so.

I saw one punch that I would have considered to the back on the head but that was late on in the swarm. I'd be interested to know when Mario made the call as it look like he pulled him off to award him the victory.

Aldo's post-match stuff was great. Hopefully they do at least one show a year from Brazil, the crowd are awesome.

Mike Pyle, monster heel.

I saw at least two, but I think the one we both saw late was the one that actually caused him to go limp. You can see there's one punch where his arms just drop, and it's after one to the back of the head. In that case, you need to stop and restart the fight. If it had been on the chin, different story.

Oh Mario, what a shit call. Those strikes were never to the back of the head.

There were a couple that were. The fight should have been stood up, or restarted from that position, once the guy had a chance to rest. It only takes one punch to the back of the head to do serious damage, so.

True. There was one that was a possible glancing shot to the back of the head, that's a warning, at worst a point, not a DQ. Though I think it was called a DQ because Prater seemed to be injured and couldn't continue, like when Matt Hamill won against Jones.

And since there is no athletic commission overseeing the bout, any appeal will be judged by UFC, so it'll get overturned to a NC.