UFC News and Discussion Thread

Lil Nog is out of his fight with Gustaffsson, Thiago Silva is replacing him.

JDS vs Overeem is set for 146 and Frankie Edgar is getting an immediate rematch against Henderson.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule or champion's contract clause that grants them an immediate rematch? Or is it just done on popularity regarding the fighter or quality of the original title fight, or whether there was a shady decision? Or do I just not like Frankie Edgar enough to think he deserves a rematch?

Is there some sort of unwritten rule or champion's contract clause that grants them an immediate rematch? Or is it just done on popularity regarding the fighter or quality of the original title fight, or whether there was a shady decision? Or do I just not like Frankie Edgar enough to think he deserves a rematch?

It seems to depend on how closely contested the fight was. People for some reason think Edgar won. I think it also has to do with how dominant the champion was leading up to that fight. If JDS loses decisively to Overeem, I don't expect he'll get an immediate rematch, because he hasn't established himself as someone who can sit atop a division for a lengthy period of time.

If you want to be cynical, I'm sure the fact that another Edgar/Henderson fight will get more buys than another Henderson/Pettis fight also plays into it.

I don't mind Frankie Edgar getting a rematch because I enjoyed seeing the fight and would like to see it again, but I thought although it was close Henderson won it and I can't see how you can argue it for Edgar.

What I also don't like about the rematch is that it puts the winner of Miller/Diaz on the shelf for longer and Pettis on the sidelines for longer in terms of getting a title shot.

Is that 'proven' (as far as that is possible) that Edgar vs Henderson would do more buys then Pettis vs Henderson? The latter is a rematch of the 'matrix kick'-fight. That should at least be sellable, no? And Edgar has been a good champ... but he's nowhere near a superstar (not like Jones, Silva or GSP).

I don't like the rematch for a couple of reasons: the first fight was not close enough and this puts the lightweight division again in a lock. I'd preferred another contender (Pettis) first and Edgar vs Miller/Diaz winner for the next shot.

Is that 'proven' (as far as that is possible) that Edgar vs Henderson would do more buys then Pettis vs Henderson? The latter is a rematch of the 'matrix kick'-fight. That should at least be sellable, no? And Edgar has been a good champ... but he's nowhere near a superstar (not like Jones, Silva or GSP).

I don't like the rematch for a couple of reasons: the first fight was not close enough and this puts the lightweight division again in a lock. I'd preferred another contender (Pettis) first and Edgar vs Miller/Diaz winner for the next shot.

Edgar = bigger name than Pettis, matrix kick or not.

And I think you're overestimating the amount of people who've seen that kick.

Is it tonight? That snook up. No early night for me then.

EDIT: Got the words in the wrong order. Been a long day.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

The full list of competitors for TUF: Brazil is as follows:

Middleweights

Sergio Moraes

Cezar Ferreira

Leonardo Mafra Teixeira

Daniel Sarafian

Gustavo Sampaio

Richardson Moreira

Fabio Luiz Vital da Costa

Renee Forte

Joao Paulo de Souza

Francisco Drinaldo

Thiago Rela

Charles Maicon

Gilberto Galvao

Thiago de Oliveira Perpetuo

Samuel Trindade

Delson Heleno

Featherweights

Alexandre Ramos

Rony Mariano Bezerra

Godofredo Pepey

Marcos Vinicius Borges Pancini

Anistavio Medeiros

Johnny Goncalves

Hugo Viana :huh:

Fernando Duarte Guerra

Rodrigo Damm

John Texeira

Rafael Bueno

Wagner Campos

Pedro Nobre

Fabricio de Assis Costa da Silva

Dileno Lopes

Giovanni da Silva Santos, Jr.

The former Newcastle midfielder?

Just FYI...

In what will prove to be a much talked about issue in what is likely to be a never-ending battle between promoters of PPV events and those who stream them illegally, Zuffa LLC is going after the consumers as well as the distributors. Despite warnings on the shows, nobody has ever gone after individual consumers.

As part of legal action against the web site GreenFeedz, which streamed UFC 130 to UFC 142 illegally and was threatened with legal action, Zuffa was able to obtain e-mail addresses, usernames and each individual event streamed, as well as IP addresses of everyone who watched an event through that web site.

They will be legally going after the individual consumers for copyright violations.

Guest mr. potato head

It'll be really interesting to see what comes of that. Suspect that was a site that sold streams though, not a justin.tv type, based on the need for usernames and passwords.

Maia is moving down to welterweight. Hope this is a good move for him but welterweight is pretty stacked too.

And Hunt vs Struve will apparently be added to UFC 146. I guess that means we will (or at least could) see an all-heavyweight main card!

Dos Santos Vs Overeem

Velasquez Vs Mir

Antonio Silva Vs Nelson

Gonzaga vs Del Rosario

Hunt vs Struve