UFC News and Discussion Thread

Diaz said he wants a superfight, not a title shot.

Let him fight a Grizzly Bear. Superfight, not title shot. And exactly what Diaz deserves! :w00t:

No seriously, I think that there are a couple of worthy contenders in middleweight division and they come first (Bisping, Munoz, Boetsch, Stann and offcourse Weidman). Looking for opponents in other divisions should only happen when no real contenders are available (because the champion has beaten all the top contenders allready).

Diaz said he wants a superfight, not a title shot.

No seriously, I think that there are a couple of worthy contenders in middleweight division and they come first (Bisping, Munoz, Boetsch, Stann and offcourse Weidman). Looking for opponents in other divisions should only happen when no real contenders are available (because the champion has beaten all the top contenders allready).

Bisping - if he beats Stann

Munoz - Not after his loss to Weidman

Boetsch - Not yet, still a fight or two off.

Stann - See Boetsch

Weidman - Best of a bad bunch.

A Diaz superfight after his next title defence would at least allow the 185 division to realign and for consensus top challengers to emerge.

Have Diaz fight Chael first, if he wins then he fights Anderson if Bisping doesn't beat Stann. I think Weidman is still a few fights off from the best that we can see from him, which he will need to beat Silva.

Diaz versus Chael, think of the pressers!

Chael trying to sell it and Nick not turning up? Yeah, great!

In all seriousness, I think Chael/Diaz would be a good fight. Chael hasn't got much to do now anyway so you may as well.

You'd think it would be smarter for Nick to stay at Welterweight though. If GSP comes back and loses to Condit you can immediately have your blood fight between those to, and if GSP wins he just needs a win over someone like Jake Ellenberger before I imagine UFC slot him into the title picture. It is not like he was destroyed by Condit and taken out of the Top Welterweights list afterall.

While on the subject of Diaz I was wondering about Melendez if he ever gets out of Strikeforce. Presumably he and the Diaz brothers try to avoid fighting each other so if he gets to fight in the Lightweight division I'd guess Nate would move back to Welterweight and Nick would have to fight at Middleweight?

Chael trying to sell it and Nick not turning up? Yeah, great!

In all seriousness, I think Chael/Diaz would be a good fight. Chael hasn't got much to do now anyway so you may as well.

You'd think it would be smarter for Nick to stay at Welterweight though. If GSP comes back and loses to Condit you can immediately have your blood fight between those to, and if GSP wins he just needs a win over someone like Jake Ellenberger before I imagine UFC slot him into the title picture. It is not like he was destroyed by Condit and taken out of the Top Welterweights list afterall.

While on the subject of Diaz I was wondering about Melendez if he ever gets out of Strikeforce. Presumably he and the Diaz brothers try to avoid fighting each other so if he gets to fight in the Lightweight division I'd guess Nate would move back to Welterweight and Nick would have to fight at Middleweight?

Only if Nate wins the title at 155, otherwise there are plenty of fights for everyone involved, just look at 170 and the Fitch/Kos/Swick AKA situation,that existed for a while, there were plenty of fights to go around.

Also Gil will not be moving to the UFC anytime soon from what I read. The guy is locked in to Strikeforce while they are being broadcast by Showtime. An agreement was put in place following the like of Shields, Cung Le, Diaz, Overeem and the rest of the heavyweight division moving to the UFC.

Well.. there is allways the option of sending someone over from UFC to Strikeforce, like they are doing now with Mir. If Melendez beats Healy, I can't see them not doing this. Maybe even the loser of the upcoming title fight? (If Edgar should lose... he'll have lost twice against the reigning champion and any title ambitions would be on hold for a couple of years). Or Clay Guida?

Well.. there is allways the option of sending someone over from UFC to Strikeforce, like they are doing now with Mir. If Melendez beats Healy, I can't see them not doing this. Maybe even the loser of the upcoming title fight? (If Edgar should lose... he'll have lost twice against the reigning champion and any title ambitions would be on hold for a couple of years). Or Clay Guida?

Doubtful.

I think sending Mir across is because there is nor risk to the UFC no matter what the outcome of the fight will be as both Cormier and Mir are in the UFC after the fight as the Heavyweight division is being shut down, in Strikeforce.

Sending someone across to Strikeforce for one fight either weakens the perception of that fighter if he loses, or there is another top fighter stuck on Showtime if they win.

While Guida is not a bad shout, should something like your suggestion occur, I think Frankie will drop down to 145 if it is put to him there is a long road back to a title shot at 155 and 145 he is only a couple of fights away.

I am not quite getting the thinking with this but the winner of Vera vs Shogun is the next in line for a shot at Jon Jones(/Hendo :shifty:), though both have been beaten by Bones before and are 3-5-1NC in their last 9 fights between them.

I can only assume Dana's finally lost his marbles.

Jones vs Vera would be funny as fuck though.

Not for Brandon Vera though obviously, he would actually be killed.

Is that how baron the Light Heavyweight division is now? Jones has beaten all of them. I'd rather see Teixeira get a title fight if he beats Rampage. But I know that wont happen, they'll be looking to build his name up before putting him in a title fight, same with Gustafsson.