UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Three matches announced for a Dec. 8 show on FOX: Bendo/Lesser Diaz, Penn/Rory and Shogun/Gustaffson. Great booking all around, provided the right card can still bring in viewers.

How much is Fox paying them? I get that they are trying to utilise the added exposure, but most PPVs don't have close to that sort of quality on them. Or is the issue that UFC isn't rating and they are trying to salvage the relationship? I haven't paid any attention to the recent ratings so genuinely have no clue, but it seems weird that they are happy to arrange a tv broadcast that on paper seems much stronger than cards they are expecting fans to pay a not insignificant amount to see.

I think the last Fox card proved that no matter how well known you are in the MMA community, you're not gonna' make a big splash on network TV. Shogun and Machida got a lot of buys for PPVs, but barely bumped the numbers from I can remember reading when they were on the Fox card. Having a title fight might actually do it this time, especially since Bendo is probably the person people view as the champion with the least cred.

Also, anyone watched Chael badmouthing Jon Jones? He just reminded me how friggin' stale he's gotten.

Shogun and Machida are more big names in MMA. Penn and Diaz I think are a bit wider known (Diaz brothers for the pot smoking and their big mouths). Shogun vs Machida likely would have popped a much higher rating, instead it was more a showcase for both of them, which is why I think Machida was given Bader as stylistically I think Bader would have been a more difficult opponent for Shogun and Vera a more difficult opponent for Machida (although that's debatable as I assume the thought was that Bader could cause the upset if he got the fight to the ground against Machida)

The Bas Rutten comment was most in jest, more than anything. That, or none of you like fun. I am more inclined to the second solution.

Rutten only really works with something like PRIDE or Shark Fights that is really more entertainment with fights than actual sport. Him, Don Frye and some beers is the most fun commentary I've heard ever, though. I just can't stand Mike Goldberg because he is so useless at what he does and his mouth and his brain seem to not be connected at all.

But yeah, carry on being wrong, Rich.

The Bas Rutten comment was most in jest, more than anything. That, or none of you like fun. I am more inclined to the second solution.

Rutten only really works with something like PRIDE or Shark Fights that is really more entertainment with fights than actual sport. Him, Don Frye and some beers is the most fun commentary I've heard ever, though. I just can't stand Mike Goldberg because he is so useless at what he does and his mouth and his brain seem to not be connected at all.

But yeah, carry on being wrong, Rich.

When Jones wins, I am going to ridicule you forever.