UFC News and Discussion Thread

Hardly fair to put the entire life of a card on the shoulders of Jones taking a fight at short notice. It wasn't his decision to cancel the event, he shouldn't be made to fight a guy he isn't prepared for for the sake of every other fighter on the card.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Hendo, if he knew about the injury he should have gave Dana White and the UFC more notice to work on an contingency plan.

Let me check, the guy who got injured is more at fault than the guy who is healthy and just didn't want to fight. That IS what you're going with, yeah?

Because the injured fighter got the fight cancelled. Simple as.

Let me check something with you, Jones' options were take a fight he is not prepared for or be blamed for an entire card being cancelled, and this sounds fair to you?

Hardly fair to put the entire life of a card on the shoulders of Jones taking a fight at short notice. It wasn't his decision to cancel the event, he shouldn't be made to fight a guy he isn't prepared for for the sake of every other fighter on the card.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Hendo, if he knew about the injury he should have gave Dana White and the UFC more notice to work on an contingency plan.

Let me check, the guy who got injured is more at fault than the guy who is healthy and just didn't want to fight. That IS what you're going with, yeah?

Because the injured fighter got the fight cancelled. Simple as.

Let me check something with you, Jones' options were take a fight he is not prepared for or be blamed for an entire card being cancelled, and this sounds fair to you?

Yeah.

Jones' options were be blamed for the card getting cancelled or take a fight against an opponent moving up a weight class from where he normally fights (tick), who he shouldn't have any trouble at all beating (tick, look how he handled Rashad Evans) and who would be coming in even less prepared than Jones himself (tick, pay attention to this), get paid a shitload for it (tick), have Dana and co owe him a favour (tick) and earn a lot of respect for saving the card (tick). That's six pretty important points. And it's not as if it were fighting Chael or nobody, apparently Chris Weidman offered to step up as well - and unlike Chael, Weidman is generally accepted as being the #1 contender at MW and only doesn't have the title fight because Anderson Silva refuses to give him it. Jones could have been a hero - instead, he decided to be a villain.

Also, Joe Lauzon (bolding mine because holy fuck that's a shitload of money burned):

Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc... but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc... and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

Also, more fighters are pissed: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23/3263256/pros-react-dan-henderson-injury-jon-jones-turn-down-chael-sonnen-ufc-151-cancelled

• Like 1

Yeah, no. How prepared Sonnen is is irrelevant, Sonnen is willing to fight Jones and has nothing to lose, Jones doesn't want or need to fight Sonnen and gains nothing from it. "Respect" is pretty empty as well when he is already damaged goods in terms of the opinion of fans, he isn't suddenly seen as the greatest human being of all time for taking a shit tonne of money for fighting a guy who isn't a challenge on a card that no one has any interest in because Hendo got injured and the fight they actually wanted to see got thrown out the window. People will still bitch about the UFC being plagued with injury and the fact that Jones had saved a card would hardly be a thought when "Jones is the centre of attention, again" is the thing people are complaining about. Not to mention had the replacement fight been accepted there is still a fuck load of people pissed off that they bought tickets, booked flights and hotels when the fight they did it all for is off the cards.

Jones is in a position were he cannot win here. Dana White and the UFC made the decision to scrap the card, they could have moved stuff around, promoted a fight here and there and still put on the show, the reason they are not is because the people buying the tickets and the PPV wanted to see Jones vs. Hendo and UFC don't want to be paying out refunds and telling the press that this is the lowest gate in their history after their latest string of terrible numbers. So once again, if you think it is fair letting Jones pick between "Fuck You" and "Fuck You Twice" when the fight he has been training for months for has been pulled I don't know what to say to you. And since it is being said that the card is cancelled because one guy isn't fighting you need to ask yourself whose fault it is that the UFC are in this position in the first place.

EDIT: And yes, Jones is selfish and acting for himself. He is an established arrogant arsehole. I don't like him myself. But the blame for an entire card being cancelled doesn't fall on him, it falls on the UFC for not being able to work around it.

Edited by WalkerWGZ
  • Like 1

Guest Owned by Quickquid

Jones is in a position were he cannot win here.

Jones takes the fight, beats Sonnen, gets paid, gets hailed as a fucking saviour. That seems like a victory to me.

Except even if Jones wins, Sonnen gets hailed as the saviour because he's the one who stepped up.

Jones is in a position were he cannot win here.

Jones takes the fight, beats Sonnen, gets paid, gets hailed as a fucking saviour. That seems like a victory to me.

Except even if Jones wins, Sonnen gets hailed as the saviour because he's the one who stepped up.

Alright. Jones takes the fight, beats Sonnen, gets paid a fucking ton of money and has Dana owe him a favour. With all his shit about how he doesn't want to be a broke athlete, p. sure that's a good motivator for him.

Yes, life is sooo simple...

except it's not.

Jones could have lost. His title..., his unbeaten streak (I don't count the DQ loss as a loss)..., his place in history. Because he took a fight on short notice and wasn't prepared as well as he's used to.

• Like 1

Sonnen is barely a "so?", it is not a win. He gains nothing from that.

Being a saviour to whom exactly? The fighters sure, for a day or two. He is still the arrogant guy at the centre of attention taking a big paycheck on a card no one cares about any longer. He gains nothing from that. A positive would be people would actually bother talking about how pathetic UFC is for resting a card solely on Jones though, which no one wants to do now because Fuck Him I guess.

And money. Oh yes, money. He has none of that already.

This mystical "favour" from Dana White is hilarious as well. He is already the face of the company to the point where THEY HAVE TO CANCEL AN ENTIRE CARD BECAUSE HE ISN'T FIGHTING AT IT. What more will he be given? A go on all the fighters' wives?

Where is the win for Jones again? The more I picture it the more I see any scenario being spun against Jon Jones. Think about it "UFC Light Heavyweight holds UFC 151 to ransom", tell me that isn't something we'd hear in this alternative universe were Jones takes the fight.

Edited by WalkerWGZ
  • Like 1

They asked several fighters, Sonnen was willing. Others weren't. That's why Sonnen. Jones is the first champion to refuse a replacement. It's a huge deal. He fucked over a lot of people.

He probably is also the first fighter that gets offered a replacement fighter 10 days before the fight...

Maybe we should also blame Machida, Rua, Gustaffson and who knows who else got offered the fight... They all refused it too.

Dana White has made a mess out of this. He canceled an event, left 20 fighters in troubles and made one of his star champs look like an ass. Well done, Dana! What was wrong with: "Sorry, Hendo is injured... Jones will fight Machida but you hopefully understand Lyoto needs some time to prepare so that fight is going to be rescheduled to UFC 152. As we felt UFC 151 wasn't left with enough draw power we decided to cancel the event. Sorry guys...we'll make it up to you. Ellenberger vs Hieron has allready been rescheduled to UFC on X 5 so you will be able to see that fight for free!"?

Edited by bolleje
  • Like 1