UFC News and Discussion Thread

Bisping's a good, not great fighter. And SRN isn't cool.

I honestly don't think you should be talking.

Bisping has been discussed to death already, no reason to bring him up again. Instead, I think we should talk about how Jake Ellenberger is going to kick Jay Hieron's ass.

• Like 2

Has UFC oversaturated itself or am I just becoming lax? I hear names and I recognise them, but I have no idea who the fighter is, then I will see a photo and be all OMG OMG he's fighting? I must see this. Like I'm not as huge a fan as I was at one point, but am I alone in having no real clue who half the people are until I see them?

Ellenberger should beat Hieron, but realistically, I can't see it being a walkover, Hieron has been a top 170 outside of the UFC for a long time, has been at Xtreme Couture for years, it's going to be a tough drawn out fight for me. But Ellenberger does have a better chance of blasting Hieron than vice-versa.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

Has UFC oversaturated itself or am I just becoming lax? I hear names and I recognise them, but I have no idea who the fighter is, then I will see a photo and be all OMG OMG he's fighting? I must see this. Like I'm not as huge a fan as I was at one point, but am I alone in having no real clue who half the people are until I see them?

No, you're not becoming lax. UFC has completely oversaturated itself. With Strikeforce, there's a show virtually every weekend, and it sounds like it's only going to get worse next year. In four years of being a fan, I've gone from "I want to watch everything!" to "I want to watch certain things!" to "I'll watch it if I'm not doing anything else", and it's sure not because of the on-screen product.

• Like 1

I'll still keep watching every single ppv regardless of whether I know anybody on the card on not. Mainly because:

-The Ultimate Fighter Brazil finale ended up entertaining me, more than half the cards I've seen and I barely knew anyone on it.

-I get to see them for free at a local pub. :shifty:

I've reached the point where outside of a few huge cards I basically go back and watch a PPV after it's aired and just see the fights that I'm told were great. I avoid spoilers in most cases before doing this, just asking which ones I should watch does the trick.

They're reaching the point where they can't grow much more but are treating everything like it's 2006, 2007 with how rapidly they're still trying to expand. There's no competition, they need to focus on shoring up their product so that it can draw new fans in to the sport. I don't know what to think their plan is, dividing everything into divisions (Like major league baseball and minor league baseball) would probably be a real interesting idea. That way the UFC label is kept as the highest level, and fighters on the cusp, young fast risers, and old veterans trying to make it back can fight in Strikeforce or a division or two below that even. Those fights can have smaller promotion, but due to the cheaper costs of them they can be given away for free in the way a lot of low-level boxing is. It would help them make sure PPV business doesn't die from over-saturation in the way it did for WWE.

I still love it, but I do think that the UFC could do with taking a less is more approach.

Take for example, UFC 150, which has apparently done less than 200k PPV buys, which is a pathetic amount for a card headlined by an established title.

It's different to when I didn't have a job, I could watch all the mma I could get my hands on, listen to podcasts and generally know about most of the fights on any major card, now I am lucky if I know anything below the co main event with how busy I have been.

I still love the sport. It's more that there is just too much to keep up with. I am with Damshow where I would prefer there to be more organisations where fighters could go and then move up. I guess the issue with that would be that the championship couldn't exist in them since if you were the best you should really be up a league, so either champions aren't actually the best in that league or as soon as you win the belt you forfeit it.

To a degree I think it's also down to media bias, established fighters earn stories whereas guys below them don't. It was different when you had the WEC and Strikeforce/Shark Fights/Affliction/Dream around and bringing in names since those cards would also need reporting on. But now sites like Sherdog and Bloody Elbow seem to tick over much more slowly and generally seem to skip profiling the newer guys until after they do something amazing in the cage, then they forget about them again straight away.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

I still love it, but I do think that the UFC could do with taking a less is more approach.

Take for example, UFC 150, which has apparently done less than 200k PPV buys, which is a pathetic amount for a card headlined by an established title.

Eh, titles generally don't draw on their own, and the LW title specifically only drew decently when BJ Penn was champ. I get why that buyrate was low.

For me it was more that Edgar has now had like 10000 rematches and none have had a super intriguing build up, I like a rematch when people are being mean about each other, but not when the first fight was so close another is needed straight away 'to settle the score'. Especially when the LW division was the deepest at one point. Having 4 guys hog the title picture for this long seems crazy. It's not like it's A. Silva after having cleaned out a division or HW when there was only like 3 heavyweights under contract.

I don't really know what could have been done differently given the circumstances, but I can see why people were burned out and didn't order it. Hopefully we get a run of definitive LW title fights for a bit.

It's different to when I didn't have a job, I could watch all the mma I could get my hands on, listen to podcasts and generally know about most of the fights on any major card, now I am lucky if I know anything below the co main event with how busy I have been.

Every discussion me and Rich have involves the question 'What's the co main event?' quickly followed by one of us googling it on our phone. :P

Frankie Edgar has the charisma of a piece of wood. He has enough name value where dropping a weight class would help create intriguing fights, but he's never selling a PPV.

I like Frankie, he's really cute. So it's not that. It's more I am just sick to death of seeing the same fighters fighting at the top of that division when there are other fighters just as competent waiting for a shot.