UFC News and Discussion Thread

54 minutes ago, Liam said:

The main card was OK, but the best part of the night was watching Joe Lauzon defeat Diego Sanchez by murder death kill.

I'm a lover not a fighter.

1 minute ago, Noah said:

So did Joe Lauzon swing you around and use you as a human weapon or did he just pay you to 'take care' of Diego Sanchez?

He paid me for the hour, so it was a bit disappointing for everyone because I last even less time in the sexing than the fighting.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I really liked the show. I don't understand why people say it's a letdown. This has got me excited to watch more UFC shows

As a casual UFC fan, I really enjoyed it. WWE has ruined the ppv price for me. I doubt I'll pay $60 regularly that's for sure.

It was alright. Something about it just seemed off all night, though, the Fight Pass prelims all ended in the first round so they ended up with like 45 minutes of the same old boring previews for the rest of the card which had been done ad nauseam by then, the pacing in the FS1 prelims was all sped up because everything was going the distance and then the energy in the main card seemed to be very wonky, not to mention the amount of air that was let out after Brock's fight, causing the main event to feel like something that had to be slogged through. Starting with 3 straight first round finishes that had people thinking this was going to be an explosive night followed by like 4 decisions in a row didn't help matters, I think. Plus I guess that it didn't help that probably the most unknown person on the main card ended up finishing the night, they should have had Brock in the main event, I still don't understand why they didn't.

There was some fun fights, that's for sure, but I think most people didn't like that a lot of the fights went the distance, especially in such a long stretch. Cain, the bantamweight fight, Pena / Cat, DC / Spider and the Brock fights were definitely the highlights for me, not including the explosive finishes in the early prelims.

Overall, over the weekend, the fights weren't as amazing as their previous big cards were (189, 193, 194, 196, 199), and with the amount of upswing the UFC was riding on until this week with the Jones mess, this week did feel like a slog just to be a fan of. 

I don't mind if fights go the distance providing that things are happening during that time. Fights that go the distance where one of the fighters is held on the mat and suffocated for 15 minutes isn't all that entertaining.

I think it was a good three nights of fighting. I did not expect Alvarez to pull off the win but I was cheering for him. I'm glad to see Brock in the cage again, and while it wasn't a dominating victory, it was definitely a good comeback after five years.  

34 minutes ago, Big Forky Cool said:

I don't mind if fights go the distance providing that things are happening during that time. Fights that go the distance where one of the fighters is held on the mat and suffocated for 15 minutes isn't all that entertaining.

This was my problem with the Cormier/Silva fight. This was the first Silva fight I've actually watched and I got to see DC sitting on Silva for fifteen. I know it's a solid way to neutralize Silva and win the fight but christ was it boring.

7 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Plus I guess that it didn't help that probably the most unknown person on the main card ended up finishing the night, they should have had Brock in the main event, I still don't understand why they didn't.

Because Brock isn't a UFC competitor. It would be like booking a celebrity match at WM over the championship match. I'd imagine if Jon Jones wasn't pissing radioactive waste they might have booked it women/Brock/Jones. Even that would be disrespectful though, it was two people fighting for a championship it shouldn't be below what amounts to an exhibition fight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quom said:

Because Brock isn't a UFC competitor. It would be like booking a celebrity match at WM over the championship match. I'd imagine if Jon Jones wasn't pissing radioactive waste they might have booked it women/Brock/Jones. Even that would be disrespectful though, it was two people fighting for a championship it shouldn't be below what amounts to an exhibition fight.

You mean like LT vs Bam Bam?

• Like 3