UFC News and Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Rich said:

UFC has been sold for $4billion and is no longer owned by Zuffa LLC

Lorenzo Fertita to step down as CEO, he and his brother will retina some minority ownership, Dana will remain president.

So will they retain some minority ownership, or do they just have their eye on some minority ownership? :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Rumours going around that Lesnar will end up with a payday close to $10million apparently.

We'll probably never know the exact figures. But his salary was 2.5m

44 minutes ago, EddieG said:

We'll probably never know the exact figures. But his salary was 2.5m

Yeah, I gather that, but there was talk by Helwani that the number might approach ten million by the time bonuses and PPV numbers are added on.

If a Fight Night occurs in the middle of the forest and there’s no one there to see it, does it make a noise?

I expect a war between McDonald and Lineker, and I give Lineker the slight edge due to fighting more regularly over the past two years.

Tony Ferguson is almost in a no-win situation taking on late replacement Landon Vannata, because nobody is giving Vannata much of a chance, so anything less than a strong win could see Nurmagomedov get the first shot at Eddie Alvarez instead of Ferguson, and Ferguson has more than earned his title shot already. However this plays out, I see either Ferguson or Nurmagomedov getting the first shot at Alvarez and the one who doesn’t face Alvarez faces Poirier for the lightweight title shot after that, because Poirier has looked great at lightweight and he has a lot of momentum behind him.

This card is actually not that bad, I'm looking forward to it when I get back home tonight and watch it. That said I am also so burned out from UFC stuff after last week that I don't really get why they put it on this Thursday. I feel like I might be interested just because I have Fight Pass again. 

I've just seen that Sage Northcutt earned $100,000 for his win at UFC 200 ($50k show, $50k win), and former Bantamweight champion and #2 ranked T.J. Dillashaw earned $50,000 ($25k show, $25k win).

That's just insulting on so many levels.

Insulting but not surprising, although what the fighters are disclosed as making and what they actually make are often two different things, and in this case, I think it's likely that Dillashaw made more than $50,000. And given what Sage's fight did for FS 2, I think the UFC are going to feel justified in paying him what they do.

That said, I don't think the Sage project, as it's being handled, is going to end up with either the UFC or Sage looking good. Sage has potential and even if he didn't look the way he did, which is part of his appeal, I'd be in favour of him being a UFC project, a fighter to bring along and develop as a star, because he really could be a big star at some point. But whilst Sage could be a big star, he doesn’t yet come across like someone who could be a great fighter, because he’s still not that good of a fighter himself, and he comes off like a subpar fighter being pushed just because of his look. Which he is, but that’s not the perception you want people to have, because it’s a perception that really hurts him and the UFC, and it’s not one you can really disagree with right now.

What the UFC are doing with Sage isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially from a business standpoint, because Sage could be a big star, regardless of how good a fighter he ends up being, but the UFC itself is not the place for Sage to be right now. Sage needs to be away from the spotlight, away from a situation where he’s seen to be earning far too much for a fighter of his talent, especially in comparison to so many other, far more talented fighters.

Yet because of the money he’s getting, Sage is going to be kept in the UFC, and either face people he’s not ready for and get exposed as not being that good, which he isn’t right now, or he’ll face people he can beat, but they’ll be so obviously subpar fighters, and Sage isn’t much better than that himself right now, that it will look like the UFC are feeding him cans so as to protect their investment, neither of which paints Sage or the UFC in a positive light.