UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'm sure Phillipe Nover was the toughest test they could give to a Brazilian fighting in Brazil who struggled in his last fight and needs a win to stay relevant. I'm sure Antonio Silva, a man who has been KO'd or TKO'd in four of his last five fights, was put against Roy Nelson as an honest test to see where Silva is and not because of the exceedingly high chance of a knockout win for Nelson. I'm sure Mike Jackson was literally plucked from the ranks of MMA journalists and put against Mickey Gall because the UFC wanted to give Gall a big test to see if he was worthy of facing CM Punk. I'm sure they put virtual unknown Vaughan Lee against Norifumi Yamamoto's in order to give Yamamoto a big test on his first fight in Japan in almost two years.

I guess it's lucky nobody is given a win in the UFC, or one might think the instances I've mentioned and others like them were UFC stacking the odds to get a certain result.

And he got that fight after impressing during TUF trials. Instead of getting on show, they put him straight on the main roster. 

I do agree, no one is given a win, but we do see the occasional mismatch, including the upcoming Barao vs Nover fight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vince Russo said:

I'm sure Phillipe Nover was the toughest test they could give to a Brazilian fighting in Brazil who struggled in his last fight and needs a win to stay relevant. I'm sure Antonio Silva, a man who has been KO'd or TKO'd in four of his last five fights, was put against Roy Nelson as an honest test to see where Silva is and not because of the exceedingly high chance of a knockout win for Nelson. I'm sure Mike Jackson was literally plucked from the ranks of MMA journalists and put against Mickey Gall because the UFC wanted to give Gall a big test to see if he was worthy of facing CM Punk. I'm sure they put virtual unknown Vaughan Lee against Norifumi Yamamoto's in order to give Yamamoto a big test on his first fight in Japan in almost two years.

I guess it's lucky nobody is given a win in the UFC, or one might think the instances I've mentioned and others like them were UFC stacking the odds to get a certain result.

It's the same in most forms of combat sports, it happened in Pride, it's happened forever, I don't really see the issue, sometimes you need to give a fighter a tune up fight if they have been having recent struggles.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's the same in most forms of combat sports, it happened in Pride, it's happened forever, I don't really see the issue, sometimes you need to give a fighter a tune up fight if they have been having recent struggles.

Exactly. It gives Nover a step up in competition with a possible chance to impress and if he pulls of the upset it could give him a boost to his career and it gives Barao a chance to overcome his recent issues and get back to winning ways and regain some confidence. 

I have no issue with these types of match ups and as Rich pointed out it has happened in combat sports for years and will continue to happen.

The GSP return moves one step closer to reality as he has entered the USADA testing pool. GSP was offered the same exemption that Brock Lesnar received, but he insisted on undergoing the standard four months of testing before being able to fight again.

Four months of testing would likely put his return, if it happens, on the final major show of the year, which is usually one of the bigger events of the year.

Evolution of Punk documentary about CM Punk and his journey towards fighting in UFC starts this upcoming Monday, the 15th on Fox Sports 1. It's a 4 part series. 

11 hours ago, GLORIOUS Troy Saint said:

UFC 203 is the current word, no idea where on the card.

I think they'll put it on first on the PPV to get it out of the way and then put two fights that they think will be exciting right after it so that whatever bad taste the fight may leave is long gone before the co-main event and main event roll around.

UFC 204 has been confirmed for October 8th in Manchester, with Michael Bisping defending the middleweight title against Dan Henderson. It'll start at 11pm with the main card starting at 3am so that it fits in the usual PPV window in the states.

Other fights also taking place that night;

Gegard Mousasi v Vitor Belfort
Jimi Manuwa v Ovince Saint Preux
Stefan Struve v Ruslan Magomedov
Brad Pickett v Iuri Alcantara
Davey Grant v Damian Stasiak
Adriano Martins v Leonardo Santos

30 minutes ago, Vince Russo said:

UFC 204 has been confirmed for October 8th in Manchester, with Michael Bisping defending the middleweight title against Dan Henderson. It'll start at 11pm with the main card starting at 3am so that it fits in the usual PPV window in the states.

Other fights also taking place that night;

Gegard Mousasi v Vitor Belfort
Jimi Manuwa v Ovince Saint Preux
Stefan Struve v Ruslan Magomedov
Brad Pickett v Iuri Alcantara
Davey Grant v Damian Stasiak
Adriano Martins v Leonardo Santos

I have too much stuff going on in October to go, but that looks like a great card.

Anyone catch Evolution of Punk? I didn't realize these things were only 30 minutes, was expecting an hour. The first one was interesting enough to make me want to keep up with it, though.