UFC News and Discussion Thread

Maia's style has always been quite boring but his last few fights he seems to have dialed it in to another level. He's finishing people rather than just laying on them for three rounds which is what he should have been doing all along. He really hasn't had much trouble in his last couple fights and once he gets hold of someone, it's pretty much over.

It really was a boring night of fights but how dare you diss Ryan Bader! Gustaffson really hasn't been the same since his fight with Jones but it was nice to see him pick up a win. Hardy trying to make the cuts on Gus's face mean more than it did annoyed me. Gus bleeds easy and he gets puffy easy. It doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. The main event was just atrocious though. I like Barnett but neither him or Arlovski are in the greatest of shapes after the wars they've had.

32 minutes ago, The WAR Fork said:

It really was a boring night of fights but how dare you diss Ryan Bader! Gustaffson really hasn't been the same since his fight with Jones but it was nice to see him pick up a win. Hardy trying to make the cuts on Gus's face mean more than it did annoyed me. Gus bleeds easy and he gets puffy easy. It doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. The main event was just atrocious though. I like Barnett but neither him or Arlovski are in the greatest of shapes after the wars they've had.

Gotta disagree. Before yesterday, Gus fought three times since the Jones fight and looked good in two of those. The Jimi Manuwa fight he was on top form, and dropping a split call against Cormier isn't shameful at all. The Rumble fight aside, he's looked fine post Jones.

It will be interesting to see who he gets next. Does Jones still get an immediate title fight, or does he get Gus or Bader? And if he does, do those two fight each other? 

I also kinda want to see Latifi vs Glover Teixeira once both recover from their concussions. 

I didn't say it was shameful to drop a fight to Cormier, I'm saying he looked horrible while doing it. Same with the Rumble fight. Even this fight he looked unsure of himself standing up which to me was weird since he stood toe to toe with one of the better stand up fighters in the division in Jones.

40 minutes ago, The WAR Fork said:

I didn't say it was shameful to drop a fight to Cormier, I'm saying he looked horrible while doing it. Same with the Rumble fight. Even this fight he looked unsure of himself standing up which to me was weird since he stood toe to toe with one of the better stand up fighters in the division in Jones.

Disagree that he looked horrible against DC. 

Yeah, I don't understand how he could have looked horrible against DC if it was a razor thing decision loss. I don't think Gus was horrible last night either, because Blachowicz looked super game, and Gus showed some really great ground and pound as well as some exceptional takedowns.

That was actually a fun main card, having not seen the prelims, I enjoyed myself for the short two hours or so that it was. Barnett / Andrei was a good brawl, I loved it when the fight went up against the cage, and the sweeps were fun. Gus / Jan was a fun mismatch of a fight, and it was interesting to see how Gus used his body to trap Blachowicz against the cage. Latifi is like a lousier Rumble, but every time he swung it looked deadly, but Bader managed to weather everything and show some great strides he's put into his stand up, those body kicks were deadly.

15 hours ago, Vince Russo said:

Ryan Bader delivering the highlight of the night tells you all you need to know about the latest Fight Night. It was long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of excitement.

This is a fucking ridiculous statement, IMO because Ryan Bader consistently puts on fun ground and pound fights, and whenever he gets put against the higher echelon of fighters, we're at least guaranteed a fun knockout. The only bad fight of his I can remember were against Jason Brilz and OSP.

16 hours ago, Cymbols said:

It will be interesting to see who he gets next. Does Jones still get an immediate title fight, or does he get Gus or Bader? And if he does, do those two fight each other? 

I also kinda want to see Latifi vs Glover Teixeira once both recover from their concussions. 

Whether Jones is out for six months or two years, I expect his next fight to be non-title, because I think the UFC will want him to prove he can be trusted before putting him in a title fight again. If this was Jones first strike, he probably would walk right back into a title fight, but this was his second strike, officially, and it screwed up the biggest UFC event of all time, so I think the UFC will want him to jump through some hoops before he fights for the title again.

17 hours ago, The WAR Fork said:

It really was a boring night of fights but how dare you diss Ryan Bader!

What can I say; I find Ryan Bader to be very boring. If the fight doesn't end quickly, Bader has this remarkable ability to suck all the excitement out of a fight. Prior to getting knocked out by Anthony Johnson, Bader had five straight fights go to a decision, and they ranged from boring to excruciatingly dull. There were no highlights to speak of, no moments where the fight almost ended; there was nothing worthy of being on any highlight reel. Bader can occasionally produce something exciting, but those moments are rare, and in many ways, Ryan Bader is the perfect embodiment of Saturday night; long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of excitement.

UFC's MSG debut, UFC 205, will see Thiago Alves vs. Al Iaquinta, and it's looking like we'll be getting Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero too, and there's even talk of Donald Cerrone fighting Robbie Lawler.

They are loading that card up with fights that should be exciting. All it needs is that one big money fight to put it over the top, and UFC 205 will be the next in the line of 'biggest shows of the year'.

Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone is confirmed for UFC 205 at MSG. Ray Borg is off this weekend's UFC 203 due to illness. UFC 202 (Diaz vs. McGregor 2) looks to have edged out their first fight as being the biggest drawing UFC PPV of all time. And UFC is aiming for Conor vs. Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205.

Great to see Lawler and Cerrone confirmed, because that should be an exciting fight while it lasts, and I don't see it going the distance. I'm not entirely surprised to see how big UFC 202 was, and it guarantees, as if there was any doubt, that we'll see a third fight between them at some point. Conor vs. Alvarez is not a shock, especially with how Conor has reaffirmed his status as the biggest draw the company has and it's natural that they'd want to load up the MSG debut as much as possible.