UFC News and Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Last night's card has to be considered one of the best of the year. Some really great fights from the Early Prelims right to the main event. Sad to see Frankie go out the way that he did but I strongly believe he shouldn't have even been in that fight so I really hope this is finally it for him. Porier/Chandler was absolute fire. I have never figured out how Esparza keeps winning like she does, because I've never seen her as being a great fighter, and Zhang basically showed why I've thought that for a bit. Absolutely steamrolled her. The main event was a surprise even with the hype about Pereira holding a Kickboxing win over Izzy. I absolutely did not give him a chance in hell of pulling out the win and yet...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The Diamond prevailing is always the highlight of the year.

Would really hate for him to be fed to Dariush, though. That guy deserves a title shot 100% before July, hopefully Volk or Islam gives it to him. 

You say "fed to" but I actually see Poirier winning that fight. I feel like it would be Dariush getting fed to Poirier in that one.

Also on a sad note, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson passed away recently due to Cancer. :( 

20 hours ago, Forky said:

You say "fed to" but I actually see Poirier winning that fight. I feel like it would be Dariush getting fed to Poirier in that one.

Also on a sad note, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson passed away recently due to Cancer. :( 

I've been counting Dariush out every time he gets matched up (and eventually the fight falls out). I honestly thought there was no way he'd survive Gamrot, and he handled him. Legit think he's the only one at 155 that can give Islam some problems. 

• 3 weeks later...

UFC have always been a bit weird, but honestly he probably won't be there much longer. The Middleweight Division is kind of in turmoil. I feel like Middleweight and up has kind of become stagnant with a few coming here and there that are exciting. The lower weight classes seem to be much more competitive in keeping your spot.

Hell I'd forgotten who the Heavyweight Champion was when I watched Pavolovich dismantle Tuivasa.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is definitely rough. I have been a fan of UFC since the original start in the 90's but the fight between him and Griffin is when I really started to get into it even more to the point where I didn't really miss an event. I feel the same as Cymbols in that I feel like the sport owes him more than he ever got from it. I love Forrest but I feel like he got way more credit for that fight than Bonnar did but both of them went to war.

• 2 weeks later...

MMA is a sport which is especially bad for access equaling favourable coverage, so it has been real interesting to see which sites and reporters have, and haven’t covered this one. 

Credit where due, as much as I don’t like Ariel Helwani’s style of reporting, he is doing a good job of calling for White to be held accountable (while also acknowledging that it will never happen).

Kevin Iole on the other hand, wrote what I think is the worst fluff piece I’ve seen in a long time. Usual suspects barely touching it beyond the TMZ rewrite, poor form. 

Dude should be axed, but instead he’ll continue like nothing happened, which includes the upcoming launch of the Power Slap League - which as well as being a terrible idea, is absurdly bad optics at this time.

20 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Dude should be axed, but instead he’ll continue like nothing happened, which includes the upcoming launch of the Power Slap League - which as well as being a terrible idea, is absurdly bad optics at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason its vacant is that Francis Ngannou has left the UFC and vacated the title, turning down astronomical money to go and do other things.

Those other things appear to be a 2 fight series with Jake Paul, one boxing, one MMA. So on the plus side, we may get to see Jake Paul get absolutely wrecked.

But yes, Jones does not deserve a fifth chance, having burned through any potential good grace his talent affords him again, and again, and again, and again.

Whoops, I forgot one of his many drug test failures. Sixth chance.