UFC News and Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The reason its vacant is that Francis Ngannou has left the UFC and vacated the title, turning down astronomical money to go and do other things.

Those other things appear to be a 2 fight series with Jake Paul, one boxing, one MMA. So on the plus side, we may get to see Jake Paul get absolutely wrecked.

But yes, Jones does not deserve a fifth chance, having burned through any potential good grace his talent affords him again, and again, and again, and again.

Whoops, I forgot one of his many drug test failures. Sixth chance.

Do we know that he’s turned down astronomical money? Only source I’ve seen on that is Dana White, who is a bullshit merchant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Do we know that he’s turned down astronomical money? Only source I’ve seen on that is Dana White, who is a bullshit merchant. 

I assume if it wasn't true that he, or his agent, would be out there disputing that fact to put him in a different light. Promoters (especially Dana) are definitely bullshit salesmen but there's usually something to discredit them whereas right now, there is no statement from the other side.

I will always say "Go get that money" because it won't always be there.

He was apparently offered $8M to fight Bones which is a joke considering how much money that fight would make.

Francis has got all the cards up his sleeves, and it's kind of fantastic. Would love to see him tour PFL, Rizin, ONE and do a bit of wrecking before coming back to the UFC. 

I was worried they were going to go with Jones / Miocic, because at least Jones deserves a heavyweight title shot, while Miocic hasn't fought in 2 years, lost his last fight and does nothing but boring rematches and title fights when he hasn't even fought anyone in the current top 15, if memory serves me right. 

10 hours ago, Benjamin said:

He was apparently offered $8M to fight Bones which is a joke considering how much money that fight would make.

Francis has got all the cards up his sleeves, and it's kind of fantastic. Would love to see him tour PFL, Rizin, ONE and do a bit of wrecking before coming back to the UFC. 

I was worried they were going to go with Jones / Miocic, because at least Jones deserves a heavyweight title shot, while Miocic hasn't fought in 2 years, lost his last fight and does nothing but boring rematches and title fights when he hasn't even fought anyone in the current top 15, if memory serves me right. 

If that's your criteria of why Miocic doesn't deserve a Heavyweight Title fight then what is your criteria for Jones deserving one considering he hasn't fought since 2020, and while he did win his last 4 fights, they weren't exactly run away victories by any means and were at Light Heavyweight. Add in all the other Jon Jones bullshit and I don't think he deserves a shot any more than Miocic. 

However, with saying that, the Heavyweight division is really lacking and I can't really look at the top 10-15 and think of a fight that I really want to see for the title if I'm honest. 

If I'm being honest you're right in a lot of ways, I guess the only thing he has going for him is he's the undefeated Light Heavyweight champ and therefore is entitled to a title shot a weight class above. I don't understand why people think he's not deserving, especially based on stuff outside the cage when it comes to MMA. 

• Like 1

I mean you basically said it in your post. He's the Undefeated Light Heavyweight Champion, and if he was coming back to challenge for the Light Heavyweight Title then I'd probably agree with you but he's not and he hasn't done shit at heavyweight. I cited his outside issues as a follow up, but his shit outside the cage should have an effect. Do you really want to put a guy who can't seem to keep his shit together in the title picture? If he wants to come back then he should be fighting his way to the title and showing he's not just going to pull the same shit.

I'm the same, I just took a look at the current champions and the only ones I recognise are Amanda Nunes and Leon Edwards, but Edwards only because he's British and got some publicity here.

I want to get back into it but the combination of the over-saturation of events and the increased difficulty of watching it makes it hard to warrant the necessary time it would take to get up to speed.

I could watch basically every event with ease thanks to ESPN+ but I just can't pick it back up. A big appeal of MMA was how people all differentiated themselves in terms of fighting background. They brought their own personalities into the cage, and I think as it's matured as a sport that's been lost. There are nuanced things everyone does differently but at the end of the day they're all speaking the same language now.

As a result everyone just blends together, and with an event every week nothing feels like a big deal.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

UFC 285 Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Notorious Joe Jones :shifty: 

But yeah, you can't deny Jones here. That was dominating. I wanted Jones to lose but I never thought Gane was the the guy to do it. I also never expected Grasso to beat Schevchenko so.....

Spoiler

That co-main event was spectacular and a great event to get that exposure. 

Jones made that Gane guy look foolish and if that was really the best the HW division has to offer Jones is going to have to go on another bender to lose this belt too. 

Weird one this. Massive main event on paper, and honestly could not care less about it. Just didn’t bring with it a big fight feel, despite there being a title on the line. I wonder if that is a bit to do with having no confidence in Jon Jones staying active, or the feeling that the real champion should be Ngannou (and subsequently listening to Jones and Dana’s bullshit rhetoric about Ngannou not wanting to fight).

Outside of the main event, and the bullshit that is pushing Bo Nickal and Ian Garry to excess, that was a fun card though. 

Can't wait for Shavkat to fight a top 5 fighter. Shavkat versus Chimaev or Belal would be amazing. I honestly think he has a higher ceiling than either of those two.

Grasso as champ seemed inevitable, Valentina is still amazing but has shown vulnerabilities the past few fights. What a back take that was, too.

Hopefully Jones / Miocic happens in the summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if money gets in the way again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely wins for Leon Edwards and Jack Shore tonight. Great stuff.

Oh! And Christian Leroy Duncan, albeit in unfortunate circumstances. Watched him live as a 2-2 ammy fighter years ago, and a fair few times on the regionals since. Guy is really really good, hopefully he’ll go far in the UFC.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Didn't Kid Rock shoot up a bunch of beer or something stupid recently because of some marketing campaign? So stupid.

I just looked that up. Budweiser recently partnered with a trans rights activist, so Kid Rock bought several cases of Bud Light to shoot with an assault rifle. It showed that he's well 'ard or something.