UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah. Lashley was going to win that fight, but that stoppage was WAY too early.

Meh, I thought it was a good stoppage. He did nothing to defend himself. He told him plenty of times throughout the fight to defend himself, and he continued to not listen, so when he basically just flattened himself out, it seemed like he just wanted a way out and was going to lay there until getting stopped. It was the right call I think.

How awesome was that finish by Lawler? Crazy Scott Smith levels of awesomeness there. Manhoef looked really good out there until that finish, but damn, that finish was awesome. Cyborg pretty much outclassed Coenen there. Maybe she will have a better chance at 135 if she goes down there, which she probably should as there isn't a chance she'll beat Cyborg if given another shot. And Diaz winning was great.

Agree with you on almost everything (especially Lawler, he might be my favourite fighter in all of MMA), but I don't agree that Coenen had no chance. Cyborg was really going into overdrive in the third round, and it seemed to me as if she was worried about gassing soon and wanted the fight over with before that happened - I think if Coenen had held on until the fourth round, she could have trapped Cyborg in a submission.

Bit meh... fairly predictable if the contest is anything to go by <_<

Coleman offered nothing that excited me and I was certain he was going to get caught flush on the chin holding his head up and backing off like that, but then he offered nothing in the clinch on the fence.

I was not disappointed with Sonnen and Marquardt though, great match, was exciting, and I thought that if Nate had hit that cut a bit more and opened it up it would have ended via Doc. stoppage, but all credit to Sonnen, he dominated Marquardt, and not many people do that.

I felt really let down by Trigg, all credit Serra I quite like the guy, but what can I say?

I DIG TRIGG

Miller vs Maia was alright, but I felt it went in entire the wrong direction for it to be entertaining, and with each other being so weary of the ground it came across very lacklustre and sloppy.

However Thiago vs Swick, was awesome and that choke that put Swick away was tight... Good fight.

As a final summing up, not a bad night of fights, nothing outstanding and stellar, but not too offensive, I just get the feeling that this will lead to two things...

1) Randy willl need a win over someone with a bit more game than "The Hammer" before I think he will get a shot at the 205 belt again, despite the fact his route to the title will (deservedly) be shorter than most other peoples.

2) I fully expect this card to be overshadow by the Australian one in a couple of weeks, that card looks stacked.

I really enjoyed 109. Maybe because in the UK once you subscribe to ESPN (about $16 a month), all the events are free, so it's hard to be disappointed. But anyway, a decent card I felt at least delivered decent fights, not to mention I've been waiting to see Coleman vs. Couture for years and years. Thiago is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters and Coleman vs. Ortiz should be The Hammers final fight in the Octagon. Now we're set for a great run of cards.

As expected Coleman never stood a chance. But 'fuck you, Tito!' saved it all.

Otherwise, I thought it was an entertaining card; Chael Sonnen proved that he is a fucking machine, I mean really, after surviving that cut and that choke, he proved his guts. Too bad Anderson is going to murder him. Also Paulo Thiago is my new favorite badass, crime fighter by day, octagon machine by night? Awesome. Overall UFC 109 turned out to be pretty cool for a card I didn't expect that much from. And now we just have months of awesome cards too look forward to.

Also, Rolles Gracie should stop living in 1993. :/

Chael Sonnen proved that he is a fucking machine, I mean really, after surviving that cut and that choke, he proved his guts. Too bad Anderson is going to murder him.

Don't be so quick to an assumption on that one. Dan Henderson controlled Anderson Silva for the first round of their fight with his excellent wrestling, but didn't do much with it. Sonnen is more explosive than Hendo and as evidence by his recent fights, his ground and pound is fast and furious. If he can get past the hands and knees of Silva, I think Sonnen has as good of a chance, if not better, than anyone else at 185 in the world.

Chael Sonnen proved that he is a fucking machine, I mean really, after surviving that cut and that choke, he proved his guts. Too bad Anderson is going to murder him.

Don't be so quick to an assumption on that one. Dan Henderson controlled Anderson Silva for the first round of their fight with his excellent wrestling, but didn't do much with it. Sonnen is more explosive than Hendo and as evidence by his recent fights, his ground and pound is fast and furious. If he can get past the hands and knees of Silva, I think Sonnen has as good of a chance, if not better, than anyone else at 185 in the world.

I was with you 100% up until there. Honestly, Filho - when on - could beat Silva. Anderson has said this himself as well, claiming he believes Paulo is the best 185'er in the world. Oddly enough, Chael is the only person to ever defeat Filho. Although that series truly needs a rubber fight to obtain stance on the better fighter.

I was with you 100% up until there. Honestly, Filho - when on - could beat Silva. Anderson has said this himself as well, claiming he believes Paulo is the best 185'er in the world. Oddly enough, Chael is the only person to ever defeat Filho. Although that series truly needs a rubber fight to obtain stance on the better fighter.

Wasn't the Chael win when Filho was messed up in the head though? I seem to remember him crying/depressed during that fight.

Wasn't the Chael win when Filho was messed up in the head though? I seem to remember him crying/depressed during that fight.

Yeah and Filho came in overweight too. Not even close to 185 IIRC.

I just got a chance to watch Relentless, and got my first real introduction to Chael Sonnen. The guy is a work horse. The Maia fight was boring as hell, and did anyone actually see the Coleman/Couture match going any other way? The stuff with Coleman/Tito afterwards was great though. I'm honestly just getting back into MMA after watching the first 6 or 7 quite a few years ago so I'm not all that familiar with a lot of the undercard guys but I've been quite impressed with a lot of them.

The first fight Josh Rosenthal stopped prematurely, giving Filho a verbal submission victory while Sonnen never actually submitted. The second fight Filho was completely outclassed after coming in overweight after an ill attempted rehab stint.

He screamed in pain, it was the right call. He can argue all he wants about not tapping, but when you let out a loud scream like that and you are in obvious pain, it's clearly a verbal submission. Not a premature stoppage at all.

So a fighter isn't allowed to express that a physical force against their body hurts? Rosenthal fucked up that call and there is no arguing otherwise. Sonnen said not to stop the fight - denying verbal submission - and it was stopped anyway. A fight in which he was winning as well.

Fitzy, I wouldn't have expected you to be the one to make that claim because you know as well as I do that fighters scream in fights on every card for some reason or another. I feel like now I am going to have to start cycling through fight videos to pull together the number fights in which a fighter screamed in pain during a submission only to continue because he didn't verbally submit.

You can go over old fights if you want, but you are not likely to see a lot. So when Sonnen did this, it made sense to stop it. Rosenthal was protecting him from a potential broken arm. It's ridiculous to claim it is premature because he simply was in pain and he would've ended up with a broken arm. I don't care if he was saying no, don't stop. Almost every fighter does this after a stoppage, it means nothing. He made the right call, stopping it for the safety of the fighter as it would have broken his arm if he had not stopped it.

Also, I seem to remember Matt Hughes screaming after GSP locked in an arm bar in their last fight and it was stopped. I am too lazy to go and check on that though. Either way, stop claiming it was premature as it was not. It was the right call.

Keith Kizer and also Dana White agree that the stoppage was the right call. White says if he was angry with it, he'd be screaming to, but he wasn't. "Sonnen was screaming in pain, Kizer said, and only yelled no after Rosenthal stopped it. UFC president Dana White, who was ringside, said he heard Sonnen screaming in pain, as Kizer described. White said he would have been angry had he felt the fight had been halted too quickly. " So yeah...

Also, Ed Herman screamed in pain when his knee gave out at 102, here is a fight that should've been called right then and there but Yves Lavigne let it continue even though he was in pain and could hardly walk. Are you going to tell me that Lavigne made the right call only for Herman to go down within seconds of round 3 because his knee gave out yet again?