hugobomb

Hampden Park

Ibrox

Celtic Park

Millenium Stadium

Cardiff Stadium(?)

Liberty Stadium(?)

Aviva Stadium

Where else could hold a Euro 2020 match? I'm sure Ireland could use a couple of the Gaelic football stadia but don't they get pissy about that? I hope they get it because fuck Turkey, but I don't see how it's viable.

Croke Park is the GAA stadium. If the GAA are okay with that being then others would be fine. So long as it makes them money. Problem is I don't think there really are any other big stadiums at least in Ireland outside of Dublin anyway, especially in terms of GAA grounds. They're mostly quite small, old stadiums that redevelopment would not be worth the money most likely. Same goes with most of the football grounds. Most of them are quite small and don't get filled often,

Thomond Park in Limerick is probably the biggest. It's 25,000 capacity. It's a rugby ground but it has been used for football before.

I think it'll be difficult for that bid to win.

Hampden Park

Ibrox

Celtic Park

Millenium Stadium

Cardiff Stadium(?)

Liberty Stadium(?)

Aviva Stadium

Where else could hold a Euro 2020 match? I'm sure Ireland could use a couple of the Gaelic football stadia but don't they get pissy about that? I hope they get it because fuck Turkey, but I don't see how it's viable.

What are the specifications for a stadium being usable?

All seater 30,000 (or maybe it's 35,000) capacity with a certain pitch size, I believe. At least that's the rules for the World Cup, I assume it'd be the same.

Edit: According to Wikipedia...

If there are no changes from the Euro 2016 bidding process, the basic hosting requirements will be as follows:[1]

Only the 53 football associations affiliated to UEFA are eligible to host the tournament.

Joint bids by 2 member associations are permitted and, under exceptional circumstances, joint bids by 3 member associations may be considered.

The stadium requirements for Euro 2016 were as set out below. However, Euro 2016 will now use 10 stadiums rather than the 9 initially specified, so the 2020 bidding process may adopt a new formula.

2 stadiums with 50,000 seats

3 stadiums with 40,000 seats

4 stadiums with 30,000 seats

I'm probably missing something, but what about Wembley, Old Trafford, Eastlands?

How long have these grounds been in Scotland, Wales or Ireland?

Who is hosting Euro 2016 anyway? I can't for the life of me remember hearing anything about who was.

Why the hell are GEORGIA applying? Seriously. Suppose it'd be funny to see the hosts getting absolutely tanked in every game.

Isn't that why Wales and Scotland are applying?

I'm probably missing something, but what about Wembley, Old Trafford, Eastlands?

How long have these grounds been in Scotland, Wales or Ireland?

Who is hosting Euro 2016 anyway? I can't for the life of me remember hearing anything about who was.

France

On a side-note, as well as the stadium's capacity there are also factors involving transport/parking/ingress and egress that can disqualify a stadium from being picked to host international tournament games. Shitty parking etc. is why you'll never see Stamford Bridge listed as a possible host location.

On a side-note, as well as the stadium's capacity there are also factors involving transport/parking/ingress and egress that can disqualify a stadium from being picked to host international tournament games. Shitty parking etc. is why you'll never see Stamford Bridge listed as a possible host location.

That and you can only have two stadia per city and we already have Wembley and the Emirates.

Are we flying them to Scotland or something?

Edit: So I wasn't the first to make a smart arse comment, huh? And Adam, I think it's France... but I'm not sure why I think that.

No, I was. Winner!

I wouldn't like Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox to be used, three stadia in Glasgow is just silly. But there's already Murrayfield in Embra, then one of the Glasgow ones, then a couple more to be built elsewhere - let's say Aberdeen and Ayr. Easy!

For some reason I thought Hampden was in Edinburgh, they couldn't use all 3 Glasgow ones if they wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So apparently the best argument for bidding for 2020 is that Turkey might pull out and we'd end up winners...by default?

THE TWO SWEETEST WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

(In all seriousness: fuck bidding for Euro 2020)