The 'What Football Team Do You Support?' Thread

Hobo

Liverpool, have done since I was about 7 and first got into football. Also follow Bangor City a bit because my Taid (grandad) is a season ticket holder.

I try to get to Anfield at least once a season, although every time I go we're shocking, I was at the home game with Blackpool this year, I've seen awful draws with Birmingham, Villa and Wigan in recent years too!

Ipswich Town for me. They're my local team. I've watched them enjoy one good season in the 2001 season where we finished 5th.

But as for a 'premiership team' I think the closest it comes is to Tottenham. But, I wouldn't go anywhere near calling myself a fan. I just really enjoy watching Bale, VDV and others play. Plus, I think Harry is class.

Newcastle United, regular visitor since Ossie Ardiles, season ticket holder since finishing uni in 04, stunned idiot since 5 o'clock this afternoon.

Soft spot for Bradford City due to a dad working abroad and a Yorkshire based uncle willing to take a football starved kid to the match.

I fell in love with West Ham when I first started getting into the Premier League, back when Tevez was helping out with the great escape. The more I watched the more I became a Liverpool fan; I really grew a soft spot for them after watching them lose to Chelsea in the Champions League semi's a few years back. That was devastating to watch. And hey, once they sold off Peter Crouch, I could finally become a fan <_<. West Ham are still my #1 team in the Prem, but Liverpool are a close #2.

In the MLS, I love me some Philly Union, thanks to them being the closest team to me. Always support my national side, and around the world, I have soft spots for Atletico, Koln (probably because of Podolski), Gillingham, and Cardiff. I think because I'm such an outsider to European football, being a Yank and all, it's easier to care about more teams than just one.

I have no Premier League team, although I find myself caring more about the fortunes of Blackpool more than my own teams sometimes. Anyway, I support Charlton Athletic, even though I've never lived anywhere near London. Essentially, when I was seven, I wanted to support a Premier League team, but not one of the big teams that all my friends supported. Charlton were doing quite well that season, edging towards Europe, and so, not knowing a thing about geography, I picked them. Several years of European near misses and two relegations later, I'm still a fan, and actually went down to Yeovil yesterday to watch them win 1-0. Despite the fact I rarely go and have no natural affinity to the team, I love going to watch them play, and really hope we get promoted to the Championship this year.

My local team are Worcester City, and I've supported them since I was four. We had a few good years where we challenged for the title, but I was too young to appreciate it really. We've slumped over the past few years, but Carl Heeley, who is a bit of a legend around these parts as a player, is now in charge and has done a good job in turning us from relegation battlers into a solid mid table side in the Blue Square North. The football isn't always great, though we do play some neat passing football now, and we can rarely build any form, but the ground is about a five minutes walk from my house, it's cheap to enter, and Worcester have been responsible for a massive amount of family bonding over the years, so I'll always be a fan.

Tottenham. Not that anyone would ever know. :shifty:

Supported them for over 20 years now. First game of theirs I remember seeing on TV was against Norwich in the snow. The first happy times were the FA Cup run of 1990/91 and the Gazza freekick against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi (3-1!) then the final and the victory over Nottingham Forest.

Spurs had a great team then with Thorstvedt, Mabbutt, Lineker, Gascoigne....

First game I saw live was a 2-1 league victory at the Lane against Nottingham Forest. Anderton had just signed and from the club shop I got player photos of Thorstvedt and a young Andy Turner who was at Spurs for a couple of years and was the youngest Premiership scorer for years (maybe until Rooney?)

The other teams I follow are:

Gillingham (my most local team of any pedigree - I'm originally from Canterbury)

Nagoya Grampus (local team now)

Aston Villa (But only when they play Birmingham). I lived 6 years in Birmingham and you need to pick one or the other. Villa seemed the better bet and they had Olof Mellberg so automatically won. I also hate Birmingham City cos their nickname is "Blues" when I think it should be "The Blues". :angry:

Ajax (from back in the day when they had Van der Vaart)

The only team I get truly excited and nervous about is Tottenham. It's in my veins. I get nervous about Gillingham too but nowhere near so much. No other team have an emotional effect on me. I got to see Grampus play live four times last season but it's more of an excuse to get boozed up at the game with a Japanese bar owner, his barman and his regulars and rant at the game.

• Admin

Spurs. I used to live in Chigwell, about five minutes away from Spurs Lodge, and Chris Armstrong lived in the house next door to me. That and the majority of my entire extended family being Spurs fan, there was no other team for me.

Local team is Watford, follow them a lot - went to see them lose to Nottingham Forest this weekend. Loved it when they were in the Prem.

Finally, Bournemouth. I visit Bournemouth annually with about 80 relatives for a long weekend and it's a tradition for whoever wants to come to go down to Dean Court (provided a home game is on) and cheer on the Cherries. So I follow their results/transfers and such.

I don't support any foreign teams but I tend to have favourites in most countries: Celtic, Barca, etc.

Back in the day (about 11 years ago) I had a Celtic shirt and wore it out one day around Canterbury. Some old woman came up to me and told me what a "good Catholic boy" I was.

I didn't wear it out again afterwards. Yeah I'm Protestant but that's beside the point - I don't want to wear a shirt that people ascribe religious beliefs to and make such assumptions just cos you're wearing it.

(and yes Spurs were a "Jewish" team but only cos they were owned by Jews - you don't become a Spurs fan cos you're Jewish).

Manchester United and locally.....nobody really.

I mean I used to support the Wollongong Wolves in the old NSL but when the powers that be ditched the NSL and upgraded to the ZOMGSUPERFANTASTICMODERN A-League, there was no place for them. :crying:

They still exist(had some financial troubles but are still technically around)but you try getting coverage of any football league in australia that isn't A-League, where I live. :(

I support Aston Villa. I live a five minute walk away from the ground too, which is great (even though Perry Barr/Aston/Witton are total shit holes). I haven't been to many games over the past few seasons but from '00 - '05 I had a season ticket in the Upper Holte. I don't support any other teams as such but I do look out for Wolves and Glasgow Rangers' results.

• Like 1

I fell in love with West Ham when I first started getting into the Premier League, back when Tevez was helping out with the great escape. The more I watched the more I became a Liverpool fan; I really grew a soft spot for them after watching them lose to Chelsea in the Champions League semi's a few years back. That was devastating to watch. And hey, once they sold off Peter Crouch, I could finally become a fan <_<. West Ham are still my #1 team in the Prem, but Liverpool are a close #2.

In the MLS, I love me some Philly Union, thanks to them being the closest team to me. Always support my national side, and around the world, I have soft spots for Atletico, Koln (probably because of Podolski), Gillingham, and Cardiff. I think because I'm such an outsider to European football, being a Yank and all, it's easier to care about more teams than just one.

Szumi, we'll have to try to meet up for a Union game this season.

I support Aston Villa. I live a five minute walk away from the ground too, which is great (even though Perry Barr/Aston/Witton are total shit holes). I haven't been to many games over the past few seasons but from '00 - '05 I had a season ticket in the Upper Holte. I don't support any other teams as such but I do look out for Wolves and Glasgow Rangers' results.

I live about 10 minutes away from Villa Park in Erdington, I'm a wayward goal kick away from Star City, Summ is about just down the road too.

I'm about 4 hours from St. James' Park though and that's all that really matters. (Y)