House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Re: DFF's spoiler

Oathkeeper is also the name Jamie gives to the Valyrian sword that he gives to Brienne, I think.

Ah, actually, yes. That does ring a bell- it has been quite a while since I read the book tbh.

I can't believe they killed him just like that.

One minute he's alive and the next he's gone. In a moment.

I actually diffident think it was "just like that". I think it was an amazing troll job (in the most positive way, like some of the Paul Heyman Promos over the past month) over almost the full second half of the Episode. Watching it again it makes so much sense from the creative side of how to do it.

You know, normally his evil doings were rather to the point, it´s not that the scenes were particular short but they always were to the point rather quickly. Like who is he doing evil against. This time it just dragged on forever, you could always play games in your mind who might his target be, is Shea dead, will something happen to Tyrone, Sansa... more or less everyone was fair game, even Jamie.

I saw him as a Zombie aswell btw. Great job on that Video whoever did it. In the show it immediately made me thing he might be somehow part of that undead army if it ever arrives but to be honnest i don´t expect that ever to happen.

I liked the character a lot so i am sad he is gone. On the other hand this gives me hope that Dani will die at some point because her storyline is so blandly goody two shoes positive that me and my flatmate always start booing the TV when she gets on.

Random thoughts on WHODUNIT aka CSI GoT.

Olenna Tyrell could have put something in the drink. I don´t know if her daughter could take the Throne by this worlds law now that she was married to the King and he died. But it seemed like it was in the Cake anyway (i saw no one else eating yet and i would expect someone noticing sooner or later to Tyrone is of the hook quickly)

I got this wacky Idea that it might have been Little Finger. They did Tease before that he has a hunger for Power and we have not seen him in a few Episodes. Maybe next week he uses money and mercenaries to overthrow?

Could also be the Red Gods doing, but burning the People did not feel like the sacrifice they needed when they killed Renly.

Lots of fun to be had here. Give me more Herr HBO. Give me more!

Another thing i liked a lot about this episode was that they finally had some kind of pay of to the Theon Storyline. Because that, besides Dani, was the only other Storyline that bored me last Season. Now all that buildup makes sens and you can actually like the dick... well dickless... when he maybe snaps out of it at some point.

Re; BE, Daario recasting. Book spoilers:

I think you're a bit too far down the tinfoil rabbit hole!

:P

Daario can't be Euron, they're both accounted for throughout their appearances. Daario was locked away and saw Dany a few times whilst Euron was in the Iron Islands.

Or maybe you're not far down the rabbit hole enough! Wake up, sheeple!

It's not my theory, I'm not in favour of it, but there's some interesting evidence suggesting it. We don't know when everything in the Iron Islands and in Essos takes place relative to one another, and I find the possibility fascinating.

The whole scene was done very well, brilliant 'Who done it?' stuff as well as a lot of people had the chance and the motive but no one was shown as being the culprit, which is great for those that haven't read the books.

Honestly I felt it could have been done better though - hard to explain fully without getting into spoiler territory, but in the books there was a lot more background stuff in the scene that you could reread afterwards and be kind of like 'oh so that's what that was' that was absent from the way it was presented in the episode.

I'd never expect a TV adaptation to capture absolutely every single aspect, or else the show's would need to be two hours long each minimum, adding in adverts on top of that (Not that I'd complain about it being longer :D).

They've done wonderfully with the show so far, across all four seasons, and I expect they'll continue to do so.

I liked the parallels between Dany and Robert. Also I'm gonna be talking about the books so y'know spoilers for those too.

re: winning and ruling being two different things. Dany hasn't ruled anything yet, just gone from place to place, winning and liberating slaves. It'll be interesting to see her coping with ruling now that she's in Meereen, assuming that they stick with that.

Jaime's rape of Cersei was weird. I never got any rape-y undertones from that scene in Storm of Swords, but maybe I wasn't reading into it enough. The AVClub's got a pretty good For Your Consideration piece about rape and misogyny in GoT, by the way.

Those last 10-15 minutes were probably my favorite of the episode. Authoritative Dany is the best. :wub:

In regards to the rape scene, I definitely remember it being more of a two way deal in the books, but someone pointed out something pretty clever: the scene in the books is from Jamie's POV. To him, it seems like Cersei is giving in and wants it by the end, but ultimately - he's the guy doing the raping. That's why we see it that way, because he see's it that way. It's not the first time someone has been an unreliable narrator in GoT! I'm looking at you, Dany!

Also, is it just me, or has Stannis just totally given up on going North? Remember the end of last season, his last scene, where Davos saves his own life by telling us about the request from the Nights Watch? You'd think they'd start making their way or something...

Book spoilers:

Looks like the Iron Bank is going to run into Stannis way sooner than in the books, where I'm pretty sure they don't meet until well after he's at the wall?

Also, is it just me, or has Stannis just totally given up on going North? Remember the end of last season, his last scene, where Davos saves his own life by telling us about the request from the Nights Watch? You'd think they'd start making their way or something...

I expect that towards the end of the season, the 9th episode is titled "The Watchers on the Wall".

• Like 1

Apparently,

The episode's director said they were going for what happens in the book - with Cersei starting out objecting, before consenting and having sex with Jaime right there in the Sept. The POV thing is something to consider too, but I feel like it's a lot harder to translate POV to a TV show.

I expect that towards the end of the season, the 9th episode is titled "The Watchers on the Wall".

Nonononono. Episode 9 is were the Lanisters win.

Those last 10-15 minutes were probably my favorite of the episode. Authoritative Dany is the best. :wub:

What dos she ever do than being a "hot blond" and doing righty right goodshoes. That storyline is sooooooooo boring. Characters need some proper flaws.

I didn't see any consent whatsoever. I also don't remember Dany consenting to Drogo initially, though. I always remembered it as they following the books there.

She consented in the books. The excerpt used in the AVClub article:

"He cupped her face in his huge hands and looked into his eyes. “No?” he said, and she knew it was a question.

She took his hand and moved it down to the wetness between her thighs. “Yes,” she whispered as she put his finger inside her."

That's a pretty big difference from what happens in the show.

Nonononono. Episode 9 is were the Lanisters win.

What dos she ever do than being a "hot blond" and doing righty right goodshoes. That storyline is sooooooooo boring. Characters need some proper flaws.

Hahahaha whaaaaat. If you can't see Dany's flaws then you might not be watching Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

Nobody sees her flaws, they're too busy looking at her boobs <_<

Seriously though, Daenerys' whole plot just feels like filler to me. It's almost as if GRRM showed someone his draft for Game of Thrones, and then someone replied by saying 'Cool story bro, needs more dragons and shit.' and then he took it literally and came up with her entire character.

• Like 2