House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

The thing about those claims is that really, all you need is

a claim and support. Robert had no claim when he took the kingdom by force, just a cause for rebellion. With Cersei/Jeoffery's reign of terror, it wouldn't take much for the people to get behind the first person to show up with a half decent claim that doesn't act like a piece of shit. If Connington can get some of Westeros behind Aegon, it won't matter if Dany shows up somewhere down the line, Aegon will be the guy the showed up and the people stood behind. Arguably, Stannis has as much a claim as any of them, if not more. Shit hasn't exactly worked out for him when it comes to his claim. >_>

Basically what I've had spoiled for me are a couple characters who are presumably still alive in the books, Robb dying though not how and by who (I saw a spoiler on TV tropes that was basically along the lines of him trusting someone he shouldn't have, assumed it was Theon, and was suitably shocked when it wasn't), and the Red Wedding being a big thing but not the specifics of what would happen. I guess I've had certain plot elements "spoiled" by reading the corresponding books after the seasons have ended (I've got Storm of Swords just sitting in my car, waiting for this season to be over), but otherwise it's not that hard if you're disciplined.

The thing about those claims is that really, all you need is

a claim and support. Robert had no claim when he took the kingdom by force, just a cause for rebellion. With Cersei/Jeoffery's reign of terror, it wouldn't take much for the people to get behind the first person to show up with a half decent claim that doesn't act like a piece of shit. If Connington can get some of Westeros behind Aegon, it won't matter if Dany shows up somewhere down the line, Aegon will be the guy the showed up and the people stood behind. Arguably, Stannis has as much a claim as any of them, if not more. Shit hasn't exactly worked out for him when it comes to his claim. >_>

Not really a spoiler, but pertains to the talk in the spoiler boxes. Just a small comment I loved from the books.

I loved how they mention that Robert preferred to say his 'claim was his warhammer'. It was a small touch, but perfectly in character.

Thoughts on tonight's episode and some general rambling:

Daenerys really has a slow build doesn't she. They show her a maximum of like five minutes per episode and she hasn't done much. Just like we didn't see any Stannis this episode which I'm okay with. He's probably my least favorite of the "main characters" or at least higher ups. Should've expected Littlefinger to come back into play, which I'm happy with because his character is very unique in that he plays both sides of the fence. No Arya or Hound did disappoint me. I'm hoping Jaqen, the guy who helped her escape and gave her the coin to show up whenever reappears while he is still fresh in our minds.

I'm fully expecting the guy Snow was hitting it off with who was a good swordsman to turn on him and be some sort of a mole.

The whitewalkers though. It's about time they did something with them. I remember first watching the show and that is one of the first things you see, making it a major event. But then it just gets shoved off to the side. They would bring it up here and there, but usually a show is all about that first piece of information they show you, foreshadowing or giving you some sort of a backstory. There was none of that and it's just been slowly building and I mean slower than all hell, so it was very refreshing to finally see something new on them. They have so many people that certain stories just can't be entwined into an hour show which is too bad, because some weeks you go without seeing those people you really want to see.

Boooo Ser Pounce is supposed to be a kitten boooo booooo.

Also, that stuff at Craster's and with the White Walkers definitely wasn't in the books, was it? I'm not terribly thrilled about the White Walkers stuff. They already felt like zombies shoehorned in for the sake of ZOMBEEZ~ YOU GUYS in the books, and they feel even more like that in the show. They've always been one of the least interesting parts of the books for me, so if they take a bigger role in the series I dunno how I'll feel about that. Wait and see, I guess.

Cloudy,

Book spoilers from Storm of Swords

Not that I'm aware of, no. The WW couldn't be anyway since there is no POV character there to witness it.

Bran never ends up at Craster's either, as they almost immediately meet Coldhands once they pass beyond the Wall.

Speaking of that Storm of Swords (the last part, anyway) spoiler:

I was hoping that was Coldhands but nope. Same White Walker we've seen before. Nuts to that.

I don't know if I'm more creeped out by the White Walkers or by Gazz's sig.

Who am I kidding, it's definitely Gazz's sig.

Episode-wise, I thought the Jaime stuff was far better this week than last. Definitely think it was a blip in judgement for that one scene as they've definitely gotten back on the honorable route for him this week. Bronn, Littlefinger and Olenna continue to be great, no Hound and Arya sucked though. Saying that, I missed the first ten minutes so may have just missed their part.

Regardless of whether or not it was in the books, the Craster's Keep and White Walker stuff was interesting, so I don't mind it. The pace their going, filler had to occur, and I thought it helped add some welcome story to underused characters.

Nah there wasn't any Arya or Hound stuff this week.

As for John Snow's buddy, I forgot about him. They will show minor characters, but you can't tell if they're going to be major at some point and just don't "pay attention" to them. Not even sure if he was shown after the be-handing, but then again, I didn't read the books so it makes it all the harder.

Jesus, George, it's hard enough to remember all the main characters' names, and next to impossible to remember who Ol' Scarface is.

I think I only permanently learned who Braun is this season, and I can't recall the names for any characters up in that place where Magic Lady and Smuggler Who Just Learned to Read are.