General Movie Thread

Jimmy

This last hour has become a hellscape. A bad Bond theme beats Gaga and The Weeknd, a comedy character from a decade ago drops a bridge on Room, and George Miller fucking loses. Only Leonardo DiCaprio losing can cheer me up now.

everything hurts

bring on The Revenant winning best picture. Bring on that fuck, Innaritu. I'm out of pain to feel.

(yaaaaaay Brie Larson)

EDIT: Hahahaha, whoa, Spotlight. I seriously did not see that coming after how quiet a night it had this year. Nowhere near my favorite movie out of this field but it's not The Revenant!

• Like 2

And it only took the worst Lead Actor field in the last decade and a half for him to win it.

Voting for EWB's Favorite Movie 2015 starts tomorrow, dudes. Get your affairs in order.

• Like 4

Congratulations to Spotlight for being made in the right year. Spotlight was a decent film, but It wouldn't have come close to Best Picture if the Academy weren't feeling so self-righteous at the moment to distract from the whole 'institutional racists' issue.

I absolutely hate it when Oscar bait wins, fam.

I mean, if it wasn't Spotlight it was going to be the epitome of "LOOK HOW HARD WE WORK FOR OUR ART" posturing. I think Spotlight was like my 4th or 5th-choice but both frontrunners were different types of bait (and ftr, I liked all the nominees this year to a certain degree).

I was completely surprised by my reaction to it, but I thought Spotlight was excellent and by far my favourite of the films nominated for Best Picture. I thought it was incredibly well-made, well-acted and the script was so tight -- it had such a fantastic pace to it, and, for the most part, was restrained and lacked a proper traditional antagonist, instead targeting an institution, which isn't always the easiest thing to do in films. Ultimately, I'm just super glad it beat The Revenant. 

I'd rather they big-up the 'difficulty' of their work than think what they're producing somehow has the ability to change the world. Michael Keaton's speech about being the good guys during the SAG awards really irked me because it showed in hindsight how morally simplistic Spotlight is. It's no coincidence they cast former and future superheroes as the journalists. <_<

Also, Room should've won, but it was this year's Whiplash. The "we love small, independent films but lol it won't win" nominee.

I liked Spotlight a lot more the second time I saw it. I got a better appreciation for the way it structured the legwork and emphasized the way the system created people willing to look the other way rather than making anyone specifically the villain, whereas the first time I was a little distracted by the non-stop mellow, soul-draining piano score. It's a weird movie because I don't think there are really stand-out performances (I actually thought Liev Schreiber was my favorite) and there are only a couple scenes where I'm like "oh yeah, that was great" but I still respect it.

I can't tell which was the worst bit of the whole thing, the PwC bit or Ali fucking G.

Oh no wait, it was Stacey fucking Dash appearing. 

Anyway, boo to Spotlight winning, it obviously should have been Room or Mad Max or the Revenant. But at the very least it wasn't the colossal shit that was the Big Short.

Bum George Miller didn't get the Oscar he deserved, but I'm fine with Inarritu. Leo at least finally won, but GoGo is right about it being the weakest field in years, Brie Larson winning was awesome, Mark Rylance winning was awesome (though I had Hardy and Sly above him). Would have liked Rooney Mara to win, but then again she was in the wrong category anyway. Spotlight winning Original Screenplay was another load of bollocks, when fucking Inside Out is right there.

Oh, and that Sam Smith song is fucking awful.