General Movie Thread

Jimmy

White men getting outraged that somebody told them their words are disrespectful is always the worst. Have empathy rather than taking every "Maybe you shouldn't call black women sassy" thing as a personal attack. 

I was fine with Mykes original post too because he was describing the trope, not a person. But every other "Wahh, we can't say anything anymore" post was garbage. And if you're actually calling black women sassy in real life stop that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pizza said:

White men getting outraged that somebody told them their words are disrespectful is always the worst. Have empathy rather than taking every "Maybe you shouldn't call black women sassy" thing as a personal attack. 

I was fine with Mykes original post too because he was describing the trope, not a person. But every other "Wahh, we can't say anything anymore" post was garbage. And if you're actually calling black women sassy in real life stop that. 

Nobody did though, that's the thing.

• Like 1

People bring up a discussion about race and about how the black member of the team is a lazy stereotype and you focus on "white men"'s points aren't valid and how horrid they are for using a standard trope term.

Yeah, there's a racist here but it isn't us.

• Like 3

Well the racist is 9 to 5, but that's in the past. I agree that it's a lazy stereotype. I said as much.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Jesus, is it getting to a stage where I can't say sassy?

1 hour ago, MDK said:

So how the hell do you describe a character in a film that isn't happy with something without calling them angry? "Slightly miffed" doesn't quite cut it.

58 minutes ago, MDK said:

In ten years time we won't be able to describe anybody at all.

But then this happens. Stop whining when people say something is offensive and think about why. 

• Like 1

Who you gonna call? Racistbusters! 

I didn't even think Leslie Jones was acting sassy in the trailer. She just talks loud. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pizza said:

Nope, just spent a bunch of posts crying that he couldn't.

Here's the thing.

Every single time something comes up - there's a section of this community that is representative of the internet community in general that reacts the exact same way, and I don't even need to cast allusions towards who they are. If you're a regular here, you know who it is - and frankly I'm tired of the high and mighty bullshit that we see every time. I've called it out at least twice before. You sit there absolutely full of yourself - knowing that no one can possibly be offended by what you're saying and you can't possibly be cast in a bad light because anyone who disagrees with you is clearly just waiting to - in this case - run out into the streets and start screaming 'OH, LOOK AT YOU - YA BIG SASSY THING' into the face of the nearest black woman.

But fuck that, because that's not the case and your falsely created vitriol is derailing a conversation - regardless of the fact that it's one that shouldn't even have made it this far in the first place.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Pizza said:

Well the racist is 9 to 5, but that's in the past. I agree that it's a lazy stereotype. I said as much.

But then this happens. Stop whining when people say something is offensive and think about why. 

I've thought about it and I don't think its offensive.

• Like 2

Just now, apsham said:

I think that Pizza saying that what you believe is offensive is offensive. He's a racist now, and from my ivory throne - it is impossible to criticize this.

This is all very confusing.

Back to my original point. The new film looks rubbish >_>

• Like 2

We now live in a world where people are offended by a word but not in the way in which it is used. People just love to try and frame things in a way so they can take offense and tell people they are wrong and horrible, just so they can feel better about themselves.

Apsham, I have never once sat on an ivory throne or claimed superiority. I try my best to not be prejudiced. Sometimes I fail. It's pretty much impossible for a human being not too. I hope when I do I get called out on it and learn from it. But that's not what's happening here. You're in here shooting the messenger and ignoring the message. I haven't called Myke a racist. I've called one person on this board a racist ever. And that person is super fucking racist. I came here because people were being unfair to Benkid for giving a damn, because anytime anyone here says anything social justicey around here there's a swarm of voices, ( and I don't even need to cast allusions towards who they are. If you're a regular here, you know who it is ) who immediately leap to shout it down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pizza said:

So what you're saying is that calling Niner racist is lazy and in the past?

:shifty:

Right everyone has said their piece, everyone is offended at everyone being offended, let's just wait until it happens again in true EWB fashion.

I feel like there is a potential for a productive discussion here, but this is the internet and both sides don't really want to listen or consider what the other is saying,  so it just leads to both sides walking away not understanding what the other side is saying. 

• Like 4