General Movie Thread

Jimmy

1 minute ago, RPS said:

I feel like there is a potential for a productive discussion here, but this is the internet and both sides don't really want to listen or consider what the other is saying,  so it just leads to both sides walking away not understanding what the other side is saying. 

There wasn't a side until someone jumped in and made it about sides. This is the issue.

1 minute ago, RPS said:

I feel like there is a potential for a productive discussion here, but this is the internet and both sides don't really want to listen or consider what the other is saying,  so it just leads to both sides walking away not understanding what the other side is saying. 

Good job we didn't get started on the Oscars >_>

2 minutes ago, apsham said:

There wasn't a side until someone jumped in and made it about sides. This is the issue.

I think that maybe there is value and merit in the discussion on "the sassy black" woman trope, but it got derailed over "you are racist" and "no you are smug and in fact you are racist for assuming I'm racist" and so forth.  None of that is debating the substance, it's an unproductive dialogue. 

• Like 2

Just now, RPS said:

I think that maybe there is value and merit in the discussion on "the sassy black" woman trope, but it got derailed over "you are racist" and "no you are smug and in fact you are racist for assuming I'm racist" and so forth.  None of that is debating the substance, it's an unproductive dialogue. 

I agree, lets all just blame this on the person who first started casting stones.

Just now, Rich said:

I agree, lets all just blame this on the person who first started casting stones.

I agree, The Rock should never have been cast in The Mummy

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Sometimes people don't make their arguments in the most articulate manner. I don't think MDK is a racist and calling a black woman sassy is not inherently racist. I think the original point should have been - saying a character is a sassy black woman from a trailer with 20 seconds of the character is premature. Maybe she does represent that trope or maybe they just included the twenty seconds of the movie where she is loud and boisterous. 

• Like 2

Just now, RPS said:

Sometimes people don't make their arguments in the most articulate manner. I don't think MDK is a racist and calling a black woman sassy is not inherently racist. I think the original point should have been - saying a character is a sassy black woman from a trailer with 20 seconds of the character is premature. Maybe she does represent that trope or maybe they just included the twenty seconds of the movie where is loud and boisterous. 

Well, since all I have to go on is the trailer, that's all I got from it :<

I'm so sorry I brought this up. I'm totally the wrong person to start anything about this, let alone try to type something out that coherently explains my thoughts and principles. I just saw something that I knew to be offensive to black women I know, and considering how we've helped, or at least tried to help each other in the past (with words such as 'retard' and RPS helping me out just last week), I reacted. I still think people shouldn't use that word, but to each their own, I guess.

I 100% concede that I went the wrong way about it, and even the original post I got all up about probably wasn't intending to be anything offensive either. Incredibly sorry about that.

I do think that Leslie Jones' character isn't fitted with the trope you guys talked about, though, she just seems to be really loud as RPS said.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

Well, since all I have to go on is the trailer, that's all I got from it :<

I feel you, but I think writing off a character as stereotype prematurely just dilutes the idea of what a stereotype is and potentially weakens it impacts and could potentially just start to describe any female who is loud and over the top. I think everyone is on the same page that the "sassy black girl" trope is bad and lazy, I just think it shouldn't be so loosely thrown around and I don't even really think it applies here. If the trailer was 20 seconds of 'MMMHMMM' and finger snapping and 'OH NO HE DIDN'T', I think we would all be on the same page. 

• Like 3