General Movie Thread

Jimmy

:( to that shared problem. 

Have tentatively jumped in on Around The World in 30 Days film challenge, where you have to watch 30 films each from a different country during the month of March. I know I won't fulfil it, but if it makes me watch a few films from around the world then that's a good thing. I've currently got 4/30 (two of which are UK & USA, admittedly :shifty:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Oh man, wished I had done something like that. Maybe I'll do that for April.

Nothing to stop you jumping in now, there's a good community thing with on Letterboxd at the moment. Admittedly, I've nearly been able to catch up because I've been bed bound with not a lot else to do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Nothing to stop you jumping in now, there's a good community thing with on Letterboxd at the moment. Admittedly, I've nearly been able to catch up because I've been bed bound with not a lot else to do. 

I'd be 5 films behind (6 in seven minutes), and I just don't think I have the time or the concentration for films these days, what with work and TV and sports and people taking up the time. I'm so annoyed about it, though, I've only seen like 30 films this year.

Letterboxd is still decent. My enthusiasm has died down for it because it's obvious the site will never expand now - there's still no app for it four years later, and it seems to just be a side-project for a couple of programmers in New Zealand, which is why it crashes often - but the layout has always been fantastic.

5 hours ago, GA! said:

Letterboxd is still decent. My enthusiasm has died down for it because it's obvious the site will never expand now - there's still no app for it four years later, and it seems to just be a side-project for a couple of programmers in New Zealand, which is why it crashes often - but the layout has always been fantastic.

I believe they released as iOS app for it late last year or earlier this year? I remember something like that in one of their newsletters. 

The community there can be a bit eye roll-ey, though. 

7 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

I believe they released as iOS app for it late last year or earlier this year? I remember something like that in one of their newsletters. 

The community there can be a bit eye roll-ey, though. 

It's been in beta, exclusive to their 'patrons', for about a year now.

I just read the review for Knight of Cups on RogerEbert.com, and it has gotten me wondering what everyone on here thinks of Terrence Malick? Genius, or just pretentious? Both?

2 hours ago, MDK said:

That new Ghostbusters trailer doesn't bode well.

That fan cut trailer someone posted was better, but yeah doesn't bode too well for the final thing.

I'll still see it, but like I said elsewhere, my standard for a comedy trailer is to laugh at least once, or for a franchise film it is to feel a bit of nostalgia, and it didn't do either of those things for me, and those are a pretty low bar to hit (especially nostalgia, that's basically the ultimate freebie).

I wish Rebel Wilson was in it, she'd be brilliant for Ghostbusters.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

That fan cut trailer someone posted was better, but yeah doesn't bode too well for the final thing.

I'll still see it, but like I said elsewhere, my standard for a comedy trailer is to laugh at least once, or for a franchise film it is to feel a bit of nostalgia, and it didn't do either of those things for me, and those are a pretty low bar to hit (especially nostalgia, that's basically the ultimate freebie).

I like the idea of making it a female cast but I don't like McCarthy. And the sassy black woman trope I don't like. Ernie in the original was just a regular guy, not stereotypical black dude in the 80's.

And yeah, I don't think there was one laugh in the trailer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

I like the idea of making it a female cast but I don't like McCarthy. And the sassy black woman trope I don't like. Ernie in the original was just a regular guy, not stereotypical black dude in the 80's.

And yeah, I don't think there was one laugh in the trailer. 

If a white woman was in that exact same role she wouldn't be called "sassy".