General Movie Thread

Jimmy

4 hours ago, GA! said:

Two reasons I hate The Purge:

1. You've got a unique concept (stupid, but unique) and you waste it on a home invasion movie?

2. "All crime is legal for 12 hours, but hey let's bring this random man off the street I'm sure nothing will happen."

One reason I hate The Purge Anarchy, even though I've not seen it:

1. "All crime is legal for 12 hours, let's go buy some Doritos from the shop the other side of town an hour before sunset in my shitty car."

To be fair, The Purge Anarchy wasn't really about that stupid, Dorito eating couple but I get what you're saying. I actually liked Anarchy better but that was mainly because Frank Grillo killed that role.

I loved both movies. I thought the original definitely could've been better with the concept of The Purge but I enjoyed it because it's not like it was a "rational" man or woman that let the guy in, knowing what the consequences were.. it was just a kid.

Edited by punky

In Time proved once again Andrew Niccol is not a good director. He's a great writer when there's someone else to liven up and brighten his ideas (e.g., Peter Weir's contribution to The Truman Show was massive), but otherwise his execution of genuinely great concepts is too po-faced and miserable to work.

The first Dark Tower film, an adaptation of the first book in the Stephen King series, supposedly has a release date of January 2017 now. Idris Elba's also been cast as the main character, Roland Deschain. 

At this point the Dark Tower project's been in development hell - as film, as a TV show - for so long that I dunno if I can get hyped for it. I really liked the books, but given the project's history, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about it going back into development hell.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, I edited a video of Sarah Wayne Callies and Johannes Roberts talking about their new film, The Other Side of the Door.

Editing is like interviewing, except I don't have to interact with people and can make them shut up simply by pressing the space bar.

• Like 1

On February 11, 2016 at 11:44, Ruki said:

In Time, staring the handsome Justin Timberlake?

So me and my husband went to see that movie and we went to the 2$ cinema. It was a Saturday and we were going out to the club after, so decided to bring mickeys of rum into the theatre. The movie was terrible. We giggled and laughed the whole movie cause it sucked. 

After, in the lobby, some guy violently confronted us screaming about how we ruined the movie. He legitimately wanted to fight me and was seriously angry that we laughed at the movie. All I kept telling him was "you paid 2$ for a Justin Timberlake movie, calm down". He was kicked out of the theatre and banned. I got free tickets to a movie. 

Moral? In Time sucks. 

• Like 3

It makes me sad that Triple 9 is getting so-so reviews, because it's got a great cast (Norman Reedus! Aaron Paul! Casey Affleck! Woody Harrelson! Chiwetel Eijofor! Clifton Collins!) and it's my favorite genre of movie - heist movies. I think I may try to see it anyway because come on. I can't pass up heist movies.