General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I think it's be a pretty strong year for film. I mean, I've still got so much to catch up on, but there's been some incredible stuff: Carol and Amy being the two films that will so far top my list, unless something really gets me. It's always hard to compare years though, and I'd like to try and see another 10 films or so from 2015 before weighing it up too much. 

I definitely think Matt Damon is getting nominated and I think Fassbender should for Steve Jobs, but it bombing could hurt him. Kate Winslett should get a Supporting Actress nomination as well. Also, Emily Blunt should get one for Sicario, which I think was criminally overlooked.

Is Macbeth eligible? If so, Fassbender should get a nom for that.

I think I have like 15 films left from 2015 for me to watch, but all of them, barring maybe Brooklyn, don't look like they're going to beat my top 3 as ones I'd recommend anytime. 

I just don't want Bale or Carroll getting nominated for the Big Short. That movie was so overacted it was cringe worthy at times. So damn shouty. 

The Oscars have become just as silly to me as the Golden Globes. Bale getting nominated for a really shitty performance (like unbelievably so), Jennifer Lawrence again, Adam McKay for directing, Shaun the Sheep Movie for some reason getting a nomination over the Little Prince, Fassbender for his boring portrayal of Steve Jobs, eurgh. 

Bale making it in I'm genuinely dumbstruck over. I actually thought Carell was great but to each their own, and he didn't get nominated anyway, but Bale was maybe just about okay. At least make it Paul Dano in Love & Mercy or something, Jesus.

and hooray for obnoxious, blatant category fraud in the Supporting Actress category! Helen Mirren should have been up for Trumbo; until I saw The Revenant she played the best villain of the year.

On the other hand, Mad Max getting acknowledged for Best Picture/Best Director is dope, and they didn't snub Brooklyn in the way I was terrified they might. So really my three favorites (The Revenant being the third) all did alright.

The real snub (besides the fact that it's again, another white-as-snow Oscar year) is Jake Gyllenhaal once again not getting a Best Actor nomination. It might not be as egregious as last year's snub, but still, fuck that.

Even Coogler didn't get a nomination.

Edited by Benkid Nada

Name that movie: The only thing I remember is a scene where some kids are holding another kid down trying to convince him to talk. They just keep saying "talk...yeah talk" while another one holds a hammer over a nail. It was from the 90's and was based in Ireland or England or something. May have been during war time.

I was like 13 when the original came out eight years ago, and as silly as it may sound I get kind of nostalgic thinking about the viral/Myspace marketing of the original. :lol: 

I'm most exited that the release date is only two months away. They did a great job of keeping this under wraps in an age where I didn't think that would be possible.