Arrested Development Returning

Hobo

Yeah, after I posted that I looked into it and it seems like the whole cast is standing behind him -- only Alia Shawkat was like "I think the truth is somewhere in the middle" while everyone else* was all "well he never did it around me so."

The worst was probably Hurwitz's response:

“Not only do I support him as a friend, but I’ve known him for 20 years. I’ve worked with him for 20 years and I’ve never seen any behavior like that described. I’ve never, even in private, he’s never been in any way inappropriate about, we don’t talk about women or objectify. It’s just not who he is, and he’s got a lot of things that I’d like to list, a lot of really bad qualities I’d like to list for you now, but nowhere in there, in my experience, is any kind of creep,” said Hurwitz.

*except Michael Cera who either wasn't at the premiere or just wasn't in the photos or interviews.

Edited by LittleDaniel

Jessica Walter's statement on the matter was neutral on the issue. Apparently she had some bad experiences with him during Season 5 filming I guess (bad attitude, nothing sexual), and that painted her response.

20 minutes ago, tristy said:

Jessica Walter's statement on the matter was neutral on the issue. Apparently she had some bad experiences with him during Season 5 filming I guess (bad attitude, nothing sexual), and that painted her response.

true, you're definitely right.  I'm running on like 90 minutes of sleep today so I must have not noticed, my bad!

I kind of thought I might be able to push past the Tambor stuff but then this incredibly irritating article just came out where Jason Bateman and David Cross do a great job of dismissing Jessica Walters and Alia Shawkat. Enjoy. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

• Sad 1

I think at the end of the day I'm still going to watch the show, and I'm going to hope to enjoy it. That's probably the wrestling fan in me. But Jesus, this is just really awful, who the hell did Jason Bateman think he was helping there?

Yeah, they gaslighted the fuck out of Jessica Walters. Bateman telling her how the entertainment industry works when she’s been in the business longer than he’s been alive is a real piece of gold.

I mean, I’m still going to watch and (potentially) enjoy the new season, but my perceptions of the male cast members sans Michael Cera has tanked. I won’t fault anyone for not watching the new season because of this or the allegations against Tambor, but me personally - I can still find enjoyment in the characters and the show itself, despite the people involved. Controversial opinion? I don’t know, maybe, but that’s just how I feel about all of this.

• Like 2

So, Jason Bateman made an apology on Twitter (in spoilers due to size). Seemed sincere but still a rather shitty situation all round.

Spoiler

Edited by Owen
Missed out 3rd tweet
  • Like 8

I honestly believe Bateman there - the whole tone of that conversation was a bunch of people trying to get their thoughts in before someone else started talked, part of the reason that I've never really enjoyed big group interviews like that - and his intentions/thoughts were half baked. I don't think there's really anything else out there to make me think that Bateman would be like that on purpose.

• Like 2

I believe him and it's not exactly my place to do it but I accept his apology as sincere. I mean I don't like the idea that he was so enthusiastic to show Tambor he was accepted but I suppose if you are forced to work with him you kinda just have to do your best to make it work

• Like 2

It’s a decent apology. I’m still on the fence about how I feel about it all. I mean, as he kinda references there, they were more interested in letting Tambor know that he’s supported in his efforts than supporting Jessica - someone he hurt in the first place.

Plus, honestly, I still don’t buy Tambor’s account of what happened in the Transparent incidents, so I’m not sold that he’s truly making every effort anyhow.

29 minutes ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

It’s a decent apology. I’m still on the fence about how I feel about it all. I mean, as he kinda references there, they were more interested in letting Tambor know that he’s supported in his efforts than supporting Jessica - someone he hurt in the first place.

Plus, honestly, I still don’t buy Tambor’s account of what happened in the Transparent incidents, so I’m not sold that he’s truly making every effort anyhow.

I don't buy a thing about Tambor no. Fuck that guy

• Like 1

I am in no way condoning what Tambor did, but I always feel incredibly terrible awful for the people close to him, especially those working on projects with him. It goes without saying that the victims are the people we need to empathize and understand primarily, but there are other individuals impacted by Tambor's awful actions. For example, Jason Bateman without question probably has a great personal relationship with Tambor and probably looks up to him professionally. I have been in situations where family members have been accused of awful things and it is difficult to dissociate the thing they have alleged to do and your own personal feelings towards them. It is incredibly difficult. 

That is why I think it is fine for Bateman and company to fuck up, get called on their shit, to be reflective and realize "I fucked up". That is fine. They are flawed humans. It is the assholes who see the backlash, listen to the outrage and say "... nah, I was right" and refuse to apologize. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, RPS said:

I am in no way condoning what Tambor did, but I always feel incredibly terrible awful for the people close to him, especially those working on projects with him. It goes without saying that the victims are the people we need to empathize and understand primarily, but there are other individuals impacted by Tambor's awful actions. For example, Jason Bateman without question probably has a great personal relationship with Tambor and probably looks up to him professionally. I have been in situations where family members have been accused of awful things and it is difficult to dissociate the thing they have alleged to do and your own personal feelings towards them. It is incredibly difficult. 

That is why I think it is fine for Bateman and company to fuck up, get called on their shit, to be reflective and realize "I fucked up". That is fine. They are flawed humans. It is the assholes who see the backlash, listen to the outrage and say "... nah, I was right" and refuse to apologize. 

I feel like people lose sight of this with this type of thing with these cases. I too have had beloved friends and family members do dumb, horrendous and often times unforgivable things - but when you are that close to the wrong-doer, you want to look past the incidents and still see some good in that person. It's hard to disassociate. At the same time, they are human and if they can prove to have learned from things don't they deserve a chance to prove they can change and continue their lives/professions?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I feel like people lose sight of this with this type of thing with these cases. I too have had beloved friends and family members do dumb, horrendous and often times unforgivable things - but when you are that close to the wrong-doer, you want to look past the incidents and still see some good in that person. It's hard to disassociate. At the same time, they are human and if they can prove to have learned from things don't they deserve a chance to prove they can change and continue their lives/professions?

These are the type of nuanced, rational, complicated conversations that are not well suited for the internet. 

I think often time we on EWB are pretty blessed. We have a diversity of viewpoints (which tend to be more liberal in nature), but we are a community of people who generally care about each other and who can keep each other in check and be respectful. If @Ms. Canadian Destroyer wrote a post and said "Pugs are ugly", I would have no problem rationally explaining to her why I like pugs and why I think her comments may be hurtful. The reality is that most other platforms of social media don't foster a community, are based on anonymity and are not well suited to nuanced, complex discussions. There is no consequence to crossing the lines and not being respectful of others. 

• Like 9