Arrested Development Returning

Hobo

• 11 months later...

Season 5 drops on May 29th. Which is a weird date but whatever! Netflix also put up a recut version of season 4 that does everything in chronological order and, since it's listed as 16 episodes instead of the I think 12 season 4 originally was, presumably has each episode running at about the same length as a half-hour sitcom on TV would. I guess I'll be watching that as I rewatch the whole thing, then.

• Like 1

Just now, GoGo Yubari said:

Season 5 drops on May 29th. Which is a weird date but whatever! Netflix also put up a recut version of season 4 that does everything in chronological order and, since it's listed as 16 episodes instead of the I think 12 season 4 originally was, presumably has each episode running at about the same length as a half-hour sitcom on TV would. I guess I'll be watching that as I rewatch the whole thing, then.

Heard it's being released on that date so that it can be up for Emmy consideration. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, the Emmys. That old thing.

EDIT: Also I stand corrected, the season 4 recut is 22 episodes, which makes it tied with season 1 for the most episodes in a single season. I think I forgot just how long the season 4 episodes originally were.

Same. Though my understanding is they were already filming this when all that broke.

I was certainly disappointed to see that David Cross has defended him. Between that and greeting Charlene Yi with a racist accent joke, I’ve really soured on Cross.

All told, I’ll probably still watch the new season, as the show doesn’t revolve exclusively around those two.

• Like 2

I think one thing I'm happy about with the recut is that it means that the George Sr./Oscar storyline will probably be portioned out. I don't think I could watch those full episodes again both because of my general Tambor unease and because they were easily the biggest slog of season 4, since George Sr. is the least interesting Bluth by far, more or less by design since it's his absence/looming shadow that makes Michael, GOB, and Lindsay who they are.

I've been liking the first few episodes of Fateful Consequences, but I'm kinda peeved they outright took down the original edits.

I can't tell if its just because I've already seen the original episodes once or twice but the amount of second team/body doubles/whatever in the shots seems way more obvious now.  I assume it had to do with scheduling, but at least it kind of made sense when each episode was focused on an individual character.

Or maybe it was just as glaringly obvious when it came out and I'm just noticing now because I haven't been waiting for years and years to see it.

On 10/05/2018 at 07:39, GA! said:

I thought structurally the original season 4 was one of the best things I've ever seen in any form of storytelling. Fuck pandering to self-entitled fans, really.

See, I'm the other way. I never asked for it to be re-cut, but I've been enjoying it in a new format. 

Yeah, I really hated the way they had Season 4 originally. This show has and always will be best presented as an ensemble comedy. Episodes specifically dedicated to one or two characters just doesn't work. Especially 40 minute long episodes. This remixed version is perfect and I'm just breezing through all the episodes - much easier to digest this way, imo.

George Sr. stuff is still a slog to get through, however.

I haven't watched the edited season 4, but I really enjoyed it - a lot more than season 3, which really goes downhill when it becomes clear they're getting cancelled and they just try and wrap up all the loose ends.

As much as it's an ensemble comedy, I love the Rashomon approach to telling the same story from multiple angles, and think that it's a logical next step to Arrested Development's style of storytelling that relies so heavily on callbacks, references and background gags, particularly with the assumption that season 4 was designed to be binge watched. It's the only TV show I can think of that feels like it was specifically designed to take into account a change in viewing habits, assumed that you would binge it all in one or two sittings, rather than still following the formula of writing as if people are watching an episode a week.

Plus, season 4 gave us mariachi Sound of Silence, and "I'm here, I'm queer, now I'm over here", so it's objectively great.

I'm struggling to pay attention to the edited season 4 to be honest, only because I watched the original cut 3 times and I think it kind of settled with me (first viewing was a slog, second was much more enjoyable).

I really cannot wait for season 5 though, my absolute favourite comedy show.

On 14/05/2018 at 19:17, tristy said:

George Sr. stuff is still a slog to get through, however.

Yeah the George Sr stuff was my hardest slog too.

I didn't mind the original cut - it was a jarring change, but I was okay with it - but I'm going to watch with the new cut and I am sure I will prefer it.

So anyone else hoping at the end of the season George Sr and Oscar just return to their home planet or something?  Fuck, the George Sr parts of s4 weren't great to begin with but now its even worse -- I just don't enjoy watching Jeffrey Tambor anymore.