The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

Is the ending as shit as I've heard it is? That's the major criticism most people seem to have towards ME3. Got a lot of friends on my newsfeed saying that it's a great game, right up until the very end.

Lemme get on my 360. Need to put in the right game (was playing ME2 on Casual so I could just have everything in the game be set up how I want, including DLC endings).

Another great thing (and you'll figure out why I put this in spoilers):

EDI and Jeff's conversations after EDI takes over the android are hilarious. That Krogan/Salarian joke ... "There have to be a thousand rachni down there!" "You think that's scary? I have to go back through that fog alone!" Sad that they apparently put all that in instead of an ending that covered everything.

In regards to the ending without spoilers, I enjoyed it, but I'm in the super minority about it. Even if I didn't find the ending enjoyable, I would still say that Mass Effect as a series is one of gaming's best accomplishments. Just amazing how all of it interconnects amazingly in all three games.

Ending spoilers:

I understand why people get upset about the endings, from the fact that the 3 choices are basically the same thing with different colors/etc on certain scenes, to not having everything not tying neatly in a bow. I seriously hope it's not a DLC thing to get everything wrapped up in a bow, but I wouldn't mind another game TBH. The fact that after the credits a child asks Stargazer(voiced by Buzz Aldrin) to tell one more story of The Shepard, plus Bioware telling people to save their saves, makes me almost certain that another game will possibly happen.

Also non-related, so excited to take a tour of Bioware in April, going to be fricking epic :D

I just finished it...

... that's it? It didn't even let me choose which of the three options I was presented with. The final battle was just just a tedious spawn of generic enemies (seriously, where was the full blown showdown with some kind of Illusive Man/Reaper hybrid, rather than that shitty stand off we got). The entire game was fun, not as good as ME2 in general, but that ending was just not nearly as epic as I'd imagined it could be, in fact it was probably the least imaginative ending they could've come up with.

And what is this Stargazer shit they've randomly craned in at the end?

MAJOR Spoiler in this one (seriously, even if you've completed the game... once...)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/G2udVqu1PtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As long as Shep's breathing - there's a sequel!

I've tried to stay as far as possible on anything related to Mass Effect 3 to not get spoiled, so far so good. I'm already about 15 hours into it and so far it's been brilliant. Feels like i'm just getting started, though i'm trying to get everything done. Seems like this will be the longest game and toughest one also, i think i've had more missions failed already than in the first two combined.

"HOLY SHIT" moments happening in the game last night and some thoughts:

First, Grunt beating the shit out of the ravagers and dropping off the cliff while doing so. I was sure that was the first death in the game, but then he shows up like a boss covered in blood from head to toe.

Then the Thresher Maw attacking Reaper, seen it on trailer but that was a great scene.

Mordin dying! :( He died in my first ME2 playthrough, but managed to keep everyone alive on the second one and now he dies again, i wonder how that whole Tuchanka thing would've gone if he would have been dead already.

After that scene with Shephard and Liara in his quarters after the Genophage mission made me feel like Shephard's not coming out of this alive...

I'm kind of eager to know how things would've played out if i'd let the Council die in the first one or not cure the genophage in this one, well there's always third playthrough.

Where's Tali? I've yet to see her anywhere, already turned Liara down (ME1 romance) for her in the early game, people are showing up out of nowhere everywhere so guess she's gonna show up soon as well.

Edited by The Sandman

People that have finished.. How long did it take you? And without naming any - how many squad members are there in total?

Dabbling into some side missions(not all) and doing some war asset gathering(not all), first playthrough for me took almost 30 hours. As far as squadmates, it depends on what happened in ME2 and some of your decisions in ME3. With the DLC add-on, at minimum you will have 5 squad members to choose from(all I can say without going into spoiler territory.)

I think they made some naff choices with the final selection of squad mates. Out of all the Mass Effect characters, those definitely aren't the ones I would have gone for. One or two right calls, the DLC and the character you haven't used before is kind of cool, but there's definitely a lack.

Also what happened to "OH YEAH, WE'RE REDUCING SQUAD MEMBERS TO MAKE IT A MORE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE..."

Except, y'know, there's no loyalty missions and you tend to get quite a few characters from the previous games on your ship at one point or another. I really wish they'd just said fuck it and allowed for a wider selection.

Still a great game though, nitpicks aside. I'm really getting less keen on the multiplayer, though. I liked the demo... but now that it's not only needed to get a really good ending, but your Galactic Readiness actually DECREASES, if you don't play? That's shitty. And the fact you pretty much only have a chance of unlocking a new race (which you need 20000 credits to get the chance) really sucks. Does anyone know how the Galactic Readiness decreases? I seemed to lose about 1% after like, 10 hours not playing.

I honestly don't see what you mean by "shitty selection of squadmates". It makes perfect sense to me. Plus, they removed loyalty missions but they have added a shit-ton of personal dialogue and character development. The bulk of the hours I've spent playing this game have been talking to squadmates at every turn.

By the way, finally beat the game and got a tearful but beautiful ending. I love this trilogy so much. There is so much replayability it is insane.

People that have finished.. How long did it take you? And without naming any - how many squad members are there in total?

I took every side mission I could and, as noted, talked to my squadmates as much as I could and I hit about 50 hours.