Rugby!

Karizma

4 hours ago, MDK said:

I'm sure I've asked in the NFL thread but why don't they play more lateral passes in Yankball? Plenty of quick wingers why not just play a few sideways passes?

A turnover is too critical in American Football. Each possession and field position counts. If they drop a lateral then the ball is live, that'd be a free-for-all.

There's also no concept of rugby offside in the American code and they don't have to wrap tackle. Overall the probability of turning over the ball and the penalty for doing so is far too high to justify it.

All that aside they don't have the ability to pass the ball like rugby players can. It's all well and good when you have a scrum half fizzing a ball 10 yards. The NFL hands guys usually one-hand toss it to each other.

5 hours ago, Lineklaus said:

See Miami's game winning play last week against New England.

As a New England fan, that was rough.  Miami did well on the play though.

Usually you see laterals in American football on the nothing to lose plays, such as the end of that Miami game.  Time runs out and need to score?  Keep lateraling if you can.

9 hours ago, TCO said:

A turnover is too critical in American Football. Each possession and field position counts. If they drop a lateral then the ball is live, that'd be a free-for-all.

There's also no concept of rugby offside in the American code and they don't have to wrap tackle. Overall the probability of turning over the ball and the penalty for doing so is far too high to justify it.

All that aside they don't have the ability to pass the ball like rugby players can. It's all well and good when you have a scrum half fizzing a ball 10 yards. The NFL hands guys usually one-hand toss it to each other.

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be a genius tactical move if some team did a bunch of passes to baffle the opposition?

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be a genius tactical move if some team did a bunch of passes to baffle the opposition?

It might work once with the surprise factor and that's a big might. But the aggressiveness in which American football players attack the ball make it unlikely.

Excellence in the NFL is really is the execution of really well designed plays and the repetition mastering those. Laterals are really only used in desperate situations where you're going to lose anyway.

There is designed "hook and ladder" plays that have a single lateral. That's where a WR will catch a pass and quickly flip it to another player. They're rarely seen with at the NFL level because of the speed of the defense. First and third TDs in this clip is a good example of a designed lateral while the 2nd one by Moss is a "fuck it, nothing to lose play" right at the end of the half!

• 1 month later...

Few mistakes cost us bad yesterday and I think there was definitely a forward pass in the crucial English try that ref refused to check. Deserved England win nonetheless!

Loss will do us good though. After the Grand Slam and All Blacks win the hype needed to be cooled before the World Cup which we can definitely win.

20 minutes ago, TCO said:

Few mistakes cost us bad yesterday and I think there was definitely a forward pass in the crucial English try that ref refused to check. Deserved England win nonetheless!

Loss will do us good though. After the Grand Slam and All Blacks win the hype needed to be cooled before the World Cup which we can definitely win.

Definite Forward movement but the non-try at half time was almost certainly a try so I guess it evens out?

Great game and defensively England were excellent. Hard hitting, always closing the spaces. And didn’t let the injuries in the 2nd half disrupt their flow. That’s the kind of rugby I want to watch.

7 hours ago, TCO said:

Ah, I see you are suffering from the English Disease.

On 02/02/2019 at 18:38, Bobfoc said:

This Ireland/England match has been enjoyable. The margin of victory is perhaps a little wider than the game suggests, but England have been impressive. Meanwhile, Ireland have been making a few too many errors. They'll need to make improvements.

Nah, the margin was right, Ireland barely played inside the English 22, the cancelled try offsets the forward pass (agree it was a forward pass) and the Cooney try really shouldn't have happened.

Add to that we had 14 men for 10 minutes in the second half and played tremendously still.  The margin was fair and the performance was stellar.

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Nah, the margin was right, Ireland barely played inside the English 22, the cancelled try offsets the forward pass (agree it was a forward pass) and the Cooney try really shouldn't have happened.

Add to that we had 14 men for 10 minutes in the second half and played tremendously still.  The margin was fair and the performance was stellar.

Jack Nowell was pivotal when we had 14 men. He covered the additional space brilliantly every time the ball swung his side.

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

I should admit that I posted just seconds before Ireland scored at the end. 12 points seems reasonable, but 19 may have been a little much.

• 2 weeks later...