Rugby!

Karizma

I think this is less of a surprise than when Japan beat South Africa four years ago, but it's a massive result nonetheless. Given that Japan struggled against Russia, this is a huge improvement.

I'm not sure what's happened to Ireland this year. If the World Cup had been held this time last year, I'd have tipped them to make the final, and perhaps even win the competition, but they were well below-par in the Six Nations and then again today.

Well done to Japan, though. They seem to have been great hosts so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, no chance will they be rusty - still very much in training.

Those teams will go into the knockout stages having played 80 minutes fewer of full throttle rugby - and would’ve been the toughest game of the group stages for each side.

Also, statistically we’re seeing at least one serious injury per game of professional rugby, so those teams also have the advantage of a lower risk of injury.

I get why it has to happen, but some teams are getting a lot more out of it than others.

England vs New Zealand is shaping up to be an intriguing contest. I'm thinking that this current All Blacks team would beat England maybe four times out of five, but a top performance from England would make things very interesting indeed. I expect the second semi-final to be between Wales and South Africa, which should also be interesting. I predicted a New Zealand/South Africa final earlier on and will stick with that for now, but another surprise would be great.