General Gaming Thread

TKz

oCazRlT.jpg

14 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Rookie numbers, get back to me when Dekker survived a cockpit explosion and has to walk around in a full body cast for 94 days.

Dekker's dead, actually. My first casuality.

That being said, Markiplier DID survive a cockpit explosion. And my character but that doesn't count since she's immortal.

8 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Dekker's dead, actually. My first casuality.

That being said, Markiplier DID survive a cockpit explosion. And my character but that doesn't count since she's immortal.

In other news, I picked up a Marauder through a very lucky cockpit shot, and the lance mod that thing has built in is obscene. Giving the entire lance a called shot bonus.

The Marauder with my sniper in it has a ridiculous 34% accuracy on called shots to the head.

Ripped out the ppc's for two ML's and an extra AC2++ next to the two lasers and the AC5 that was already in it. Its accuracy is beautiful.

And I ended up sniping a boss mech in the first turn!

Edited by Jasonmufc

9 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

In other news, I picked up a Marauder through a very lucky cockpit shot, and the lance mod that thing has built in is obscene. Giving the entire lance a called shot bonus.

The Marauder with my sniper in it has a ridiculous 34% accuracy on called shots to the head.

Ripped out the ppc's for two ML's and an extra AC2++ next to the two lasers and the AC5 that was already in it. Its accuracy is beautiful.

And I ended up sniping a boss mech in the first turn!

Yeah, a headhunter Marauder has saved my butt in a lot of missions. It's so satisfying to take out a pristine Atlas or King Crab with one shot to the head. 

igExoIs.jpg

Now stand aside, worthy adversary!

40 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

What game is dis?

BattleTech. Devved by HareBrainedSchemes, the people behind the modern Shadowrun CRPGs.

22 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Oh nice, put out by Paradox right?

Yup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMarushin said:

Can you give me a nickel review of it?

It's a tactical mech combat RPG. Pretty much what HBS did with Shadowrun they did with BattleTech; bring a TableTop experience to a satisfying single player game. Campaign adds some management and you can tweak and customize mechs. The one flaw I'd say is that you're kind of pushed to the  big boi mechs as your smaller, faster-paced mechs get outgunned. I kind of had to shift my bread and butter strat from hopping from treeline to treeline (treelines provide cover, other form of terrain does too but trees are the far the most abundant kind) to sticking to a treeline and dusting any fool that comes within range. That being said the assault mechs have their own charm, in a '80 ton war machine' way. Campaign also has a bit of a space opera vibe, what with aiding in a civil war.  Pretty fun, though the narrative isn't as strong as Shadowrun's IMO.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

It's a tactical mech combat RPG. Pretty much what HBS did with Shadowrun they did with BattleTech; bring a TableTop experience to a satisfying single player game. Campaign adds some management and you can tweak and customize mechs. The one flaw I'd say is that you're kind of pushed to the  big boi mechs as your smaller, faster-paced mechs get outgunned. I kind of had to shift my bread and butter strat from hopping from treeline to treeline (treelines provide cover, other form of terrain does too but trees are the far the most abundant kind) to sticking to a treeline and dusting any fool that comes within range. That being said the assault mechs have their own charm, in a '80 ton war machine' way. Campaign also has a bit of a space opera vibe, what with aiding in a civil war.  Pretty fun, though the narrative isn't as strong as Shadowrun's IMO.

What's the alternative to campaign mode?

1 minute ago, JMarushin said:

What's the alternative to campaign mode?

A freeplay career mode, and a skirmish mode which is probably a multiplayer deal.

4 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

A freeplay career mode, and a skirmish mode which is probably a multiplayer deal.

What's the career mode like? (Sorry for so many questions haha)

4 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

What's the career mode like? (Sorry for so many questions haha)

Havent played it, but probably not too different from the campaign mode, just without a story.

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile combat is modern turn based tactics (xcom-esque, two actions, four units).

But one thing that has kept me engrossed where I struggled enjoying Xcom is that combat is a whole less arbitrary, and a lot more slower paced and deliberate.

One bad turn, or one bad roll of the rng doesn't screw up an entire playthrough like it does in Xcom where a dodgy turn pretty much kills your elite squad and scuppers a run.

And instant kills are extremely rare occurrences because headshots (in most situations) are in the single digit percentages, and even then an instakill requires multiple hits to the cockpit, or a hit from a major boomstick.

So a battle is very much decided by building a balanced squad, and you can punch above your weight a lot if you have a good grasp on the battlefield.

I had one warrior in a light mech Firestarter (sans the fire), and he could move further than anyone else, meaning I could often use the big boys to pull apart an enemy formation, then the light mech rushed in from behind cover to put an alpha strike (fire all the weapons) straight into the weak rear of a heavy mech, stripping it of armour, or outright destroying it. 

Only negative is that battles can take half an hour, or longer depending on the mission type and how aggressive you play. So it's a lot slower paced than Xcom or other turn based tactics games...

But what other game gives you giant killer battle mechs?

• Like 1