General Gaming Thread

TKz

Solace wasn't too bad. And I surprisingly enjoyed the new Goldeneye. But this game was just an utter mess.

"You need to hack the console! Press Triangle to cycle your gadgets!"

".....my gadgets aren't cycling."

-ten minutes of furious button mashing passes-

"Oh. So you mean I have to pull my phone out THEN cycle."

--2 minutes later--

"You need to match the icons to hack faster"

".....okay, so how do I match the icons?"

"Oh, L2 and R2 huh? Coulda said that or shown something."

This was the point I turned the PS3 off. I can't imagine it gets WORSE from here, but it's a long hope that it would get better.

I'm about to get into the Metal Gear Solid collection, what I'm wondering is will I miss much not playing the first one on PS1?

Not really, but if you're skipping 1, jump straight into 3. 1 still holds up really well though.

I'd recommend playing the first one. The graphics are obviously dated, but I agree that it's held up well, and it'll allow you to get used to the controls and conventions of the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 is quite self-referential, and playing the original will give at least a small amount of extra clarity to some of 2's long-winded cutscenes and codec conversations. Also, with all the Easter eggs and fourth wall-breaking sequences in the series, it's best just to have an understanding of the whole story and all of its characters.

Apart from anything else, the first Metal Gear Solid is fairly easy and will only take a few hours to finish, so it's not as though playing through it will be a massive undertaking.

I'd recommend playing the first one. The graphics are obviously dated, but I agree that it's held up well, and it'll allow you to get used to the controls and conventions of the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 is quite self-referential, and playing the original will give at least a small amount of extra clarity to some of 2's long-winded cutscenes and codec conversations. Also, with all the Easter eggs and fourth wall-breaking sequences in the series, it's best just to have an understanding of the whole story and all of its characters.

Apart from anything else, the first Metal Gear Solid is fairly easy and will only take a few hours to finish, so it's not as though playing through it will be a massive undertaking.

That's if you already know everything, to be fair. It's a pretty long game when you've no guide to go by.

MGS1 is awesome to play on handheld. If you've got a Vita or PSP, I'd definitely say play it.

I very recently played MGS1 on having played it once when it first came out, there was a lot I'd forgotten (but also a surprising amount I'd remembered considering it was 14 years ago, I was 11). Luckily I remembered some of the weird ways in which you beat bosses and the like. But it holds up really well, half an hour in and you've completely disregarded the fact that the graphics are crap. Definitely play it first.

Really? That's good. I'm gonna pick up the HD collection once I've cleared a bit of my game backlog.

I barely remember 2 (despite playing it after 1) and have never played 3 or PW. Then I can finally get to 4.

This series was one of the main reasons I got a PS3 earlier in the year.

Solace wasn't too bad. And I surprisingly enjoyed the new Goldeneye. But this game was just an utter mess.

"You need to hack the console! Press Triangle to cycle your gadgets!"

".....my gadgets aren't cycling."

"Oh. So you mean I have to pull my phone out THEN cycle."

--2 minutes later--

"You need to match the icons to hack faster"

".....okay, so how do I match the icons?"

"Oh, L2 and R2 huh? Coulda said that or shown something."

This was the point I turned the PS3 off. I can't imagine it gets WORSE from here, but it's a long hope that it would get better.

Really? I played that game and explained it all pretty well. Its shit, don't get me wrong, but not really for that reason. There are many, many other reasons though. It feels like an incredibly lazy game to be honest. The gameplay's dreadful and the less said about the stealth bits the better.

Really? That's good. I'm gonna pick up the HD collection once I've cleared a bit of my game backlog.

I barely remember 2 (despite playing it after 1) and have never played 3 or PW. Then I can finally get to 4.

This series was one of the main reasons I got a PS3 earlier in the year.

Peace Walker is great, though I'd put 4 above it, just because even the HD version still feels a bit more like it should be played on a portable. 3 was my absolute favorite, but I'm not sure how well the old control scheme holds up for guns.

If not for

Drebbins, The spycam bot, and most importantly of all The EPIC KUNG FU SHOWDOWN between Snake and Ocelot

MGS4 would be my least favorite of the series.

But definitely play 3. Easily the best of the console games (never played the PSP ones).