AMC's "Breaking Bad"

Blitz

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about the idea of this film, but I liked it. I'd have still been happy enough without it, but I think it managed to avoid taking away from the main series' finale. It also helps that Aaron Paul is a good enough actor and Vince Gilligan is a good enough writer to pull off a premise like this.

I loved it.

Even though I knew

Spoiler

Jesse had brought both guns, when he shot Neil with the gun in his jacket pocket, it startled the shit out of me. I kind of assumed he had both guns with him, but daaaamn.

• Like 1

I liked it, though it felt kind of inessential to me. Like, if you asked me to guess "what happened to Jesse Pinkman" I would have come to the same destination albeit without knowing the exact path. That being said, I just read that it was originally meant to be a short film and just kept expanding until it hit feature length, which makes a lot of sense. Aaron Paul is great in it and it's always nice to return to various corners of Vince Gilligan's Albuquerque. The highlights by far were the Todd flashbacks, because you could tell that Vince Gilligan just had a flood of "oh, this would have been a funny Todd bit" in the intervening years and there's no real way to shoehorn him into Better Call Saul, and...

Spoiler

Robert Forster turning up as Ed. I read the news of his passing like literal minutes before his main scene with Jesse and it was both surreal and, regardless, by far the best scene in the movie. Jesse applying all of his knowledge of the criminal game to seemingly peg Ed as having faked the call only to turn out to have been real wrong was classic, wonderful Jesse Pinkman material.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I liked it, though it felt kind of inessential to me. Like, if you asked me to guess "what happened to Jesse Pinkman" I would have come to the same destination albeit without knowing the exact path.

That was my view as well. I was an enjoyable experience, but I wouldn't put it down as something that's vital to the Breaking Bad viewing experience. While I'm happy it exists, I wouldn't have been bothered at all if it didn't.

• Like 1

One thing:

Spoiler

I really want to know what was in the letter at the end. 

And apparently, the original plan was that the ending was going to have a voiceover reading the letter, but that got cut. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw El Camino, have to say I really enjoyed it. It was just satisfying to sit in that universe again, and Aaron Paul carried the whole thing off brilliantly.

Spoiler

The best scenes for me were undoubtedly Jesse and Robert Forster's character in the vacuum repair shop, and the scene where Jesse goes and shoots the guys. Really nice pay off for what had come before, that.

Also, Vince Gilligan is just a master of artistry for me. The top-down shot when Jesse is searching Todd's place was wonderful, as was the gradual pan across characters seeing Jesse was stood in the doorway of that shack in the aforementioned shooting scene. Gorgeous cinematograph work all round.

Nice touch on those two flashback cameos at the end too. A very satisfying ending to the whole thing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Adam said:

Hide contents

A very satisfying ending to the whole thing.

The scenes in the present in Better Call Saul probably take place after El Camino chronologically. So we haven't seen the end of the entire saga just yet.

Edited by Hellraiser

I dug it also, probably feel about the same as GoGo mostly, but it was fun. 

Even though I already knew Jesse eventually escapes the Nazis I couldn't help but think "Jesse, find a knife in Todd's apartment and just fucking kill him!" I understand why he didn't and like I know the end result, still couldn't help myself. 

It was good go see something of a happy ending for Jesse after all he had been through and lost. He wasn't an angel but fuck man, he endured enough for one lifetime. 

Also shout out to Skinny Pete and Badger for being awesome friends.

• Like 1