EWB's All-Time Favorite TV Show Tournament

Josh

CENTRAL BRACKET

1) Lost vs. 16) ER

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - this fucking pained me to do. As much as I love Fawlty, I've found it less regularly rewatchable than Supernatural.

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks

2) Doctor Who vs. 15) Sons of Anarchy

Guest mr. potato head

CENTRAL BRACKET

1) Lost vs. 16) ER

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - you are a cruel, cruel man

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers

1) Lost[vs. 16) ER

1) Lost vs. 16) E.R. - Lost has simply never appealed to me, and I feel like E.R. was part of a 90's drama revival that I enjoy more in hindsight.

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - The sole reason I haven't watched Mad Men yet is I'm big on watching a series from the beginning. And the whole genre that Game of Thrones falls in simply doesn't appeal to me.

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus - A comedy game-changer. Modern comedy owes a great deal to Monty Python. And, once again, Buffy holds no appeal for me.

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom - See my reasoning for Mad Men.

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - If you want perfection in farce, you watch Fawlty Towers.

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman - Batman really is one the most underrated TV shows. It's tremendous absurdist comedy through-and-through. The creative forces behind it knew precisely what they were doing, and I'm so glad they did.

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks - Any show that puts Trace Beaulieu in a recurring role deserves attention. Meanwhile, sci-fi is a genre that almost intentionally distances itself from me. Farscape very much fell in line with that.

2) Doctor Who vs. 15) Sons of Anarchy - However, when sci-fi elements are brought directly to our reality, it captures my attention. I've only seen some Matt Smith episodes, but I really dig 'em. Sons of Anarchy is probably a lesser example of Mad Men or Breaking Bad for me. I probably would be interested, but I haven't had a decent chance to watch from the start.

CENTRAL BRACKET

1) Lost vs. 16) ER

1) Lost vs. 16) ER - I was BIG into ER as a teen, tried Lost but couldn't get into it though I hear it gets better and then a whole lot worse... kind of like ER, I guess

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - only one I've seen before

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus - preferred the Buffy movie in all honesty

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom - never even heard of Bottom, it sounds dirty

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - only one I've seen before

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman - bad bracketing, Batman would've beaten any of the other picks aside from maybe ER

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks - never seen either, but this seems more my speed

2) Doctor Who vs. 15) Sons of Anarchy - only one I've seen before

The first season of Lost is probably the best season imo, season 3 is when it starts to suck. There's too much filler in that season. More boring Kate flashbacks, a flashback to how Jack got his freakin' tattoos, and another stupid one with Claire in a car accident. It gets better after season 3 though probably because they shortened the seasons after that.

Season 3 of LOST is fucking abysmal at points, but it also has some of the very best moments (particularly most of the stuff involved Charlie and Desmond). It's worth slogging through because when it's good, it's some of the best TV I've ever witnessed, and (MAJOR SEASON 3 FINALE SPOILER)...

513884589_5a79991326.jpg

... never fails to make me cry like a little baby.

Season 3 of LOST is fucking abysmal at points, but it also has some of the very best moments (particularly most of the stuff involved Charlie and Desmond). It's worth slogging through because when it's good, it's some of the best TV I've ever witnessed, and (MAJOR SEASON 3 FINALE SPOILER)...

513884589_5a79991326.jpg

I hated Charlie.

I wanted them to kill him off for the longest time. However his final episode made me sad when they did kill him off at the end.

Season ending Lost spoiler

Which season ended with Linus moving the Island? I swore I was never going to watch again after that nonsense. Of course by the fall I changed my mind again but man that was terrible

That was the end to season 4.

Lost Season 4 ending spoiler

I actually liked that they moved the island. Especially when they're on the chopper and try to fly back to the island and it's NOT THERE! I always liked the supernatural stuff in the show.

Edited by Don Ready Slacker

1) Lost vs. 16) ER - I've only seen the pilot of Lost and have seen a lot of ER which is fairly decent.

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - This was a tough choice as Mad Men is really good but Game of Thrones is too great.

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus - Enjoyed Buffy a lot when I was younger and I've been meaning to re-watch it but haven't gotten around to it. I've never seen Monty Python

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom - Breaking Bad is awesome and I've never heard of Bottom so this was an easy one.

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - The first five seasons of Supernatrual are awesome but it's not quite the same now. I haven't seen Fawlty Towers though.

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman - This was tough as I really enjoy both but South Park was my favorite show for awhile so it wins out.

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks - Freaks and Geeks is amazing and it's a shame we only got one season of it. I've never seen Farscape.

2) Doctor Who vs. 15) Sons of Anarchy - Sons of Anarchy is annoying the shit out of me lately but I haven't seen Doctor Who so I have no choice.

1) Lost vs. 16) ER

1) Lost vs. 16) ER - I actually really enjoyed the first 3 seasons of ER. Then I stopped watching. I hated the third season of Lost, but I never quit. Easy pick.

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - I couldn't get into Mad Men. Maybe someday. Easy pick.

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus - I love the Buffyverse, but I love MP more.

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom - Never heard of Bottom, but it is not likely I'd pick many over BB.

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - Fawlty Towers is awesome, so very awesome, but I am a geek for Sam and Dean so this was an easy pick.

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman - Easy.

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks - I recently (FINALLY) watch F&G, and loved it, but Farscape was a lot better and in my opinion.

1) Lost vs. 16) ER

And I submit that this right here is better than anything South Park has ever done, and I actually don't hate South Park as much as most.

CENTRAL BRACKET

1) Lost vs. 16) ER - Show with a confusing ending where you're not sure if you actually got closure versus a great and long-lasting medical drama. Not that difficult.

8) Mad Men vs. 9) Game of Thrones - Misogyny versus mythology. Guess which I picked?

5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. 12) Monty Python's Flying Circus - Not even close. Apologies to Joss Whedon fans.

4) Breaking Bad vs. 13) Bottom - Well, I've heard of the former.

6) Supernatural vs. 11) Fawlty Towers - Only seen a few episodes of each, preferred the latter.

3) South Park vs. 14) Batman - They're both outlandish, but oddly, Batman was more realistic.

7) Farscape vs. 10) Freaks and Geeks - Didn't really like either, so it's more which one I disliked less.

2) Doctor Who vs. 15) Sons of Anarchy - One inspired the time travel method for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. The other has a motorcycle gang.

Pretty easy choices for me here.

513884589_5a79991326.jpg

Okay, I admit, that was a fucking awesome scene.