Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they worked so hard to obscure that it was Talia, and then it was like the the single least interesting version of Talia ever.

God, just the worst. Such a great character stripped down to her bare fucking minimum. It doesn't help that 90% of her career in comics has actually been against R'as rather than for him.

But then these sort of things happen when you keep letting Goyer be in charge of writing things.

To be fair, I very much doubt Goyer had a large hand in the ideas for the The Dark Knight trilogy. He was mainly there to write the script for the ideas Nolan and his brother came up with.

On its own accord, TDKR is enjoyable if you don't think of it as a Batman movie and just being apart of a straight up crime thriller series in the vein of Michael Mann's work. As a Batman work, I do think it was a great film, no doubt about it. Its shot greatly, the music is some of the best in the series, and the action set pieces are great as hell. The fact they were able to do one of more classic scenes from a comic was the icing. The only thing that does hurt the film is the Cat and her everything is always black and grey thing. I know that's part of the character, but not that heavily done.

Also, TDKR was shot in my city and its shown off beautifully, seeing Gotham City in its true form shown off brings a smile to my face. Gotham City is not Chi Town (sorry to those in Chitown). Gotham has always been and always will be New York City at night, while Metropolis has been NYC during the day.

Yeah, they worked so hard to obscure that it was Talia, and then it was like the the single least interesting version of Talia ever.

God, just the worst. Such a great character stripped down to her bare fucking minimum. It doesn't help that 90% of her career in comics has actually been against R'as rather than for him.

But then these sort of things happen when you keep letting Goyer be in charge of writing things.

To be fair, I very much doubt Goyer had a large hand in the ideas for the The Dark Knight trilogy. He was mainly there to write the script for the ideas Nolan and his brother came up with.

To be fair, fuck Goyer :shifty:

Also, seriously, guys, Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman. The casting (except for Cotillard) was not the problem with the film.

• Like 1

Yes, that was the worst fucking part. Also because Talia is like the hottest character in comic lore, and Marion Cottillard just isn't that pretty :P

Also, you take that back, Rider, Batman Forever was awesome! Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey made that film absolutely golden. Jim Carrey's "It keeps me jogging at night!" has me howling with laughter every time.

:mellow:

I still like TDKR a lot. I loved watching it in the cinema, and was more than happy to gloss over the plotholes, because they just didn't bug me that match. I had a really great time watching it, so that's all good with me.

I have no issue with the Cottillard casting. I think she's a very, very talented actress, it's just her character wasn't that well written, especially in terms of what you'd have come to expect from those Batman films.

I think she's a great actress as well, I loved her in Public Enemies and Inception, but her performance in this one was just awful, in my opinion. Maybe she wasn't a fan of the writing and didn't put her heart into it, but it hurt the movie a lot because her reveal was the reveal.

Yes, that was the worst fucking part. Also because Talia is like the hottest character in comic lore, and Marion Cottillard just isn't that pretty :P

Also, you take that back, Rider, Batman Forever was awesome! Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey made that film absolutely golden. Jim Carrey's "It keeps me jogging at night!" has me howling with laughter every time.

:mellow:

I still like TDKR a lot. I loved watching it in the cinema, and was more than happy to gloss over the plotholes, because they just didn't bug me that match. I had a really great time watching it, so that's all good with me.

I have no issue with the Cottillard casting. I think she's a very, very talented actress, it's just her character wasn't that well written, especially in terms of what you'd have come to expect from those Batman films.

Yeah I liked her... and she was very attractive I thought!

She did need a bigger part than - sleeps with Bruce, betrays him. Like if their relationship had been much more fleshed out the reveal would have hard more of an impact.

I saw GotG again today and maybe it's just me but the themes and overall tone of the movie remind me so much of a "A New Hope." Maybe I got that pigeonholed into my brain after deciding Rocket & Groot are the 21st century Han & Chewie after seeing it last week, but it was running through my head the whole time.

• Like 1