Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I have no issue with origin films. My wife loves watching comic movies, but she doesn't know anything about any of them going in. I'd imagine that's the case for the majority of people that go see those films. Comic nerds need to realize that they're not the majority going to see these things.

That said, I still absolutely love the original Tim Burton film where it picked up with him already as Batman.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind origins outside of Batman and Spider-Man because those are the two that almost anyone should at least have some degree of familiarity with. TAMS in particular didn't need an origin considering we already had one 9 years prior.

I don't mind origins outside of Batman and Spider-Man because those are the two that almost anyone should at least have some degree of familiarity with. TAMS in particular didn't need an origin considering we already had one 9 years prior.

I'd argue Batman Begins was hugely important because it was an origins story. People might've had familiarity with Batman, but no one really knew how he became Batman, or would care why he became Batman. Origin stories make so much sense for comic book stories, I think you'd struggle to introduce any hero, who you intend for a franchise, without one.

• Like 1

I agree with the origin complaint of Batman now, but Begins was really the only time it was ever actually fleshed out. Every other film just kind of said "He lost his parents and somehow now fights crime".

But it's ridiculous to say we shouldn't be doing any more origin films. A character like Dr. Strange for example needs an origin explanation. I'm willing to bet plenty of comics fans themselves wouldn't even remember his origin if asked. You can't throw out a whole new, universe altering character without explaining why they can do the things they do.

• Like 1

Again I'd argue explaining what they can do isn't the important part, it's all about the character journey, especially because being a superhero is a choose and you have to have a pretty good motive. In the case of Doctor Strange I can't see how an audience would get overly invested in his individual movie if they didn't go on the journey with him as he goes from arrogant surgeon to the fucking awesome guy he is.

Again I'd argue explaining what they can do isn't the important part, it's all about the character journey, especially because being a superhero is a choose and you have to have a pretty good motive. In the case of Doctor Strange I can't see how an audience would get overly invested in his individual movie if they didn't go on the journey with him as he goes from arrogant surgeon to the fucking awesome guy he is.

Well exactly, that's his origin. The character is only improved by knowing where he comes from and how he gets there.

I would love the opportunity to get Christopher Nolan drunk and have him spill the details on what exactly his plans for The Dark Knight Rises were with Heath Ledger alive. But then it would just make me so incredibly depressed because it would have been so much better than what was actually made.

They shouldn't have crammed Two Face's story into TDK. Should have established Dent, had him burned at the very end of the film, end on a reveal of his face, and then have him be the main villain of the third movie.

• Like 4

He doesn't sign on to do another film until the one he's working on is complete but I wouldn't call that flying by the seat of his pants. His big sticking point for signing on for TDKR was finding a story he thought he had to tell and I find it hard to believe he didn't have some idea where he wanted to go with a third one as he was doing TDK so it seems like he had to come up with a new idea when WB was pressuring him to do another.

Plus TDK ends in such a perfect way to suggest that wasn't the last time you were going to see the Joker.