Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I enjoyed AMS 2 personally, although I'm probably in the minority. It was kind of goofy but in a good way. Better than the first one of the new series.

I had fun with it. The colours were very pretty in 3D and it was a generally fun film, if not as fun as GOTG by a wiiiiiiide margin.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even suggest watching Amazing Spider-Man 2 once. There's really nothing of value in it if you've already seen Amazing Spider-Man 1.

Days of Future Past is fantastic. If you liked the old X-Men films and First Class, it's a great time.

Winter Soldier was easily the best non-Avengers film before Guardians. It's still a close fight, I'd argue.

• Like 2

Winter Soldier is better than Guardians, in my opinion. Both are head and shoulders above any of the other Marvel movies to come out this year, though, so you don't have to watch the X-Men and Spider-Man movies if you don't want to. At least don't spend money watching them.

It's kind of an odd one to try and place, despite being set in the same universe and being superhero films, they're both such different films. I think it's just safe to say that the end of this phase of Marvel has eclipsed nearly every other film in the genre, except for Avengers and maybe The Dark Knight.

I enjoyed AMS 2 personally, although I'm probably in the minority. It was kind of goofy but in a good way. Better than the first one of the new series.

I had fun with it. The colours were very pretty in 3D and it was a generally fun film, if not as fun as GOTG by a wiiiiiiide margin.

Oh yeah I was never arguing it was close to GOTG, which was surprisingly amazing. I got a little annoyed by the internet hype for months and months on end as I've never read the comic, but hey, they were right. It was a fun, charming, genuinely funny movie with a lot of heart, and the kind of movie you can watch again and again. Probably my favorite of the year thus far, although we'll see if Interstellar can change that.

Nothing but The Avengers touches The Dark Knight for me, but again, they're entirely different films. My problem with the Marvel phase 2 stuff so far is that is all quite formulaic at the moment, which I don't have a problem with because I really, really enjoy the films, but it definitely stops any of them effecting me in a way The Dark Knight did. Still, it's all been pretty impressive. Thor 2 is definitely the weakest for me, with Guardians the strongest. Would place Cap above Iron Man, but it's been a very good showing overall.

Man, I've never been on The Avengers train. It was a good summer movie, a really well-made, fun spectacle, but it felt empty to me aside from the "holy shit all these dudes in one place!" factor. I enjoyed GOTG much more than The Avengers, it certainly can't touch The Dark Knight in my opinion. My top 3 would probably be:

The Dark Knight

Spider-Man (Nostalgia factor for me)

Batman Begins

Then a large gap between anything else. I will say, though, if Guardians holds up on rewatches it could crack my top 3. I really adored that movie.

I'm not gonna compare the two, cause they're both very different films, but I'm pretty confident in myself to say that Batman Begins is my favourite serious comic book film, and GOTG is my favourite fun comic book film.

That's not to say both don't have serious/fun moments, but the general feel of both films are very different.

For me, it's something like...

Avengers > Guardians > Winter Soldier > The Dark Knight

followed by Captain America > Thor > Batman Begins

With everything else placed afterwards in an order I won't go through. Other than Thor The Dark World being last.

I won't argue that TDK might be a better film than some, but I just enjoy the Marvel films more. I've watched some of them over 10 times since release and they're still not old to me.

Yeah, separating 'fun' from 'serious' I get something like:

Fun: Guardians > Avengers > Iron Man > Iron Man 3 > Thor (Yeah, I see Thor as more of a fun film) > The Rest

Serious: Begins > Cap 1 > Cap 2 > TDK > TDKR and The Rest (TDKR barely making it into consideration for me)

Guardians was amazing. Absolutely bloody brilliant. Superbly written, cast, directed, acted...all worked perfectly. Big Dave was superb. Laughed outrageously throughout.

Only real complaint is the lack of a strong villain - which is a common Marvel flaw, it seems - but this film almost didn't need it, as it was about wanting the heroes to win against the odds, rather than any real interest in who they were fighting. They'll need to do better for the sequel, though.

• Like 1

Guardians was amazing. Absolutely bloody brilliant. Superbly written, cast, directed, acted...all worked perfectly. Big Dave was superb. Laughed outrageously throughout.

Only real complaint is the lack of a strong villain - which is a common Marvel flaw, it seems - but this film almost didn't need it, as it was about wanting the heroes to win against the odds, rather than any real interest in who they were fighting. They'll need to do better for the sequel, though.

I found Ronan to be a very strong villain, though I believe he would have been better given more screen time. My only complaint is that he suffered from Darth Maul syndrome, in that he was a strong villain who could have been made to have been much more important to the film, but was treated as minor. The character was interesting, and his intensity was electric. He should have been allowed to live to continue on as a character in the Marvel cosmic films, especially if the Kree are continued to be used.

The Ronan guy could've been fleshed out more, but it wasn't necessary and could've been detrimental. The movie's strength was the light-hearted encounters and chemistry between the protagonists. It didn't need some super complex Joker-esque multi-layered villain. I found myself anxious for the story to get back to them whenever Ronan was on-screen.